Best Scale Book??

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Simpleman, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

Im just getting back into playing. I’m looking for a book on scales. I’d like one that goes up and down the neck not just box scales. I’m having a hard time finding one.
    Thanks,

VinStrat and Jesse414 like this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

google.
    you can find just about anything you want on scales.

Jesse414 likes this.
  3. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

4. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Look into the Guitar Grimoire series of books. Theres alot for guitar, just find the one for scales.

5. Jasco

Jasco Strat-Talker

Don't waste your time on a book. You can write out all the scales you need to play anything anywhere on the neck on 2 pages. Unless you're playing jazz, then you might need 3 pages.

As far as 'up and down the neck', after you've learned the few scale patterns in position, practice switching to a higher or lower position on any given string. Also practice those position scales on limited strings - 3 strings, 2 strings, 1 string - shifting up and down the neck to the next higher or lower position often.

It's a lot of work, but the methodology should be simple. Most books make it way too complicated.

pentatonic scales.jpg diatonic scales.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  6. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

@Jasco ...That’s what I think it’s coming down to. I have a page where I wrote all seven scales down. And yes most books I’ve found makes things to difficult. I saw a video from Oz Noy that got me. Fired up for scales again.

Jesse414 and Jasco like this.
  7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Learn only one octave of a scale starting from the low E.....then instead of moving downwards like a box...you move diagonally and play the exact same pattern....you do the same one more time and you have already reached the high E playing the same pattern 3 times.For starters you ll feel like you are not boxed in and your improvisations ll have more movement cause you actually play 3 octaves instead of two with the same pattern and higher up the neck.

8. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

This is the Video. I thought man that’s cool. Now that I’m not trying to play just one style of music has me wanting to play and learn a lot more again.

VinStrat likes this.
  9. Jasco

Jasco Strat-Talker

Oz is great. I just took a zoom class with him yesterday.

If you want to get into his style of stuff, you'll probably want to add altered scales (melodic minor), augmented, and diminished. But that's it.

In my opinion, it's not so much about knowing lots of different scales, but knowing the main ones - diatonic, pentatonic, altered, aug, dim, REALLY well all over the neck. And how/when to use them. Which means knowing the sounds of each scale, and how they relate to chords.

Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  10. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

11. GlowingTubes84

GlowingTubes84 Strat-Talk Member

I can second the guitar grimoire scale book. It's got every scale and mode you could ever think of in every key. There's a half page of text in the beginning then it shows you the three note per string patterns up the entire neck.

No fuss no muss

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Do a search in Strat-Talk on scales. You will finds numerous threads that will also be of help.

Jesse414 likes this.
  13. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

Jasco likes this.
  14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Learn the major scale. And the modal degrees in the key center of that scale. They lead to harmony. And building chord progressions.

Bowmap and Jesse414 like this.
  15. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

I'll just throw a few notes your way, no pun intended, that might ease/speed your learning.

I'm a pattern guy. So I learn the patterns, then think about what the notes are. If your brain works in patterns, these hints will help.

- The Major and Minor Pentatonic scales are the same pattern. The only difference is the note you "start" on i.e. the root note. The Blues scale is also the same, it just potentially adds one optional note. Sounds good in some songs, not in others.

- The Major scale (Ionian) and all the other (6) "modes" are all the same pattern. Again, it's just a case of what note you start on as the root note.

- The Harmonic Minor is the same as the Major scale with one note shifted. The Melodic Minor is the same as the Harmonic minor with one additional note shift. So learn the Major scale pattern first, then the Harmonic minor pattern, then the Melodic minor.

16. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

@StratUp Thats my new plan. The old scales I wrote out years ago needs a facelift. I printed out some fretboard diagrams last night. I wish I still had the scales I wrote out years ago when I was taking classical guitar lessons.

17. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

These two books are a worthy investment and are a nice compliment to each other... just google them and you'll find where you can get them..
    1. The Heavy Guitar Bible - Richard Daniels
    2. Scales and Melodic Patterns - Jay Friedman

Enjoy!