Best Strat pickups for jangly gooey biting sparkle (ha)

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by bossaIV, Oct 4, 2021.

1. bossaIV

bossaIV New Member!

I have an Am Pro Strat HH that I’m going to convert to SSS. I’m not a blues player, but the closest thing to that world that I dig is Jimi. I really like Built to Spill Strat tones (but not looking to get Lace Sensors), Big Star Strat tones, and many other instances of slightly overdriven single coil rock tones through a Fender amp. I also really like fuzz with single coils. '60s and '70s rock tones are my north star.

I'm a Jag and LP player mostly, and I love the Jag "spank" which is why I want to explore the Strat single coil world. I play through a PRRI with a 10" Tim Weber 10F125 30 watt speaker. A lot of the SSS Strats I’ve played here and there sound a little too anemic or one-dimensional. "Dorky" is an adjective that sometimes comes to mind. But those special ones that I’ve played really jangle, sing, chime, dig, and have cool sparkly overtones that have such 3D depth and personality that's almost "spongey" or "gooey". I also want clarity and don't always need to bite 100%, but would like to about 50% of the time. Apologies in advance if my descriptions are weird. That’s what I’m looking for. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Nevets likes this.
  2. Daddy Do Thang

Daddy Do Thang Strat-Talk Member

Bootstrap vintage sparkle is certainly sparkley.

Not sure about gooey, but I have both dirty blackface and dirty blondes and man.... Those dirty blondes are special.

However, if you really want the spongey thing, get a set of 5 raw vintage springs and install all 5. It will change your strat for the better. I used to hate the duck, now I love it.

Leftshep, jrbirdman and cranky like this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

That comes from the scale length, not the pickups.

For your Strat . 57/62's are great.

But the ones that'll give what you want are CS 69's.

4. Nevets

Nevets Strat-Talk Member

That's exactly the kind of strat sound I'm going for too (love Built to Spill) and I'm thinking of the 57/62's. Now I'm considering the CS 69s.

bossaIV likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

‘Jangly, gooey, biting sparkle’ I have absolutely no advice to give but, please, when you find the answer, let us all know!

bossaIV likes this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Alnico V is sparklier than A3 or A2 which are warmer tones.

bossaIV likes this.
  7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Pickup swapping is a crapshoot at best, which can cost you a ton of money if you’re not careful.

I suggest starting at a lower cost solution, since more money doesn’t necessarily yield better results - so don’t overlook some of the more affordable options.

On my Fender “Custom Shop Partscaster” project (2012 Fender Custom Shop ‘69 Relic Strat body with a 2021 Fender American Original 60s neck) I installed a set of Fender Tex Mex pickups “temporarily”, but I love them so much they’re staying!

As far as I’m concerned they have the perfect balance of tone and output (for me), plus they’re the most affordable pickups Fender has to offer (under $100 US dollars at this time for a Strat set).

Well worth trying in my opinion...

Good Luck!

6973EB76-18BB-4008-A84B-70889F4C39FD.jpeg
    89E70EFE-496A-455D-9B75-87F447639FE5.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    fattboyzz, Stratbats, bossaIV and 2 others like this.
  8. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Vintage noiseless Fenders

9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Jangly, gooey, biting?

Never once have I heard gooey or biting tone.

Why don't you describe those so we know what you mean? Because I haven't a clue.

Monkey and bossaIV like this.
  10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

How do trem springs change the sound? I gotta hear this!

11. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Senior Stratmaster

Have you ever played a strat with lipsticks? About as "jangly" as it gets.

12. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Lace Sensor Gold

CapCrunch likes this.
  13. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

If you don't want all the hum... go vintage noisless... if you want to deal with noise go with standard single coils... the cheeper the better for that extra "jangly" thin tone... enjoy!

bossaIV likes this.
  14. bossaIV

bossaIV New Member!

Thank you so much for your insights (and for suffering my weirdo, sometimes contradictory adjectives. ha!)! Your replies are exactly the kinds of answers I was looking for, and I now have some better direction to begin my search.

"Gooey" and "spongey" come from my favorite RAT settings through my Jag: almost no distortion, just a smidge of filter, and volume at about 3/4 goosed with PRRI dialed in a pretty middle of the road EQ with about 4 on volume. Jamming chords and digging in on leads with that setup evoked the word "spongey" to me, and the rest is history. It "bites," but the little bit of filter softens and gives it a nice pick-sensitive bouncing response. I'm not really able to reach that tone as successfully with my LP the HH Strat due for conversion—a little on the bridge pickups but not like single coils (although my 2/4 on the HH selector do the quack, so I can kind of get it there).

Yeah, that's new to me, too! I definitely know about hardtail Strats sounding different than those with synchronized tremolo system, but I never considered the actual spring itself making much of a difference!

That's exactly what Doug Martsch in Built to Spill uses. Someone told me a while ago before I knew anything about anything that Lace Sensors were just for shredders, and ignorantly I haven't been able to shake that misconception. Perhaps now is the time... Because obviously I do like how they sound seeing that two of my guitar heroes play them (the aforementioned Doug, and Jonny Greenwood in his Tele). And for some reason I get hung-up on the "noiseless" label, like it takes away from the charming edginess of the technology (although we all know the 60-cycle hum and other interference can ruin certain situations really quick, so again, I need to quash that baseless stigma I have).

These are looking appealing to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Always sage advice (and a great reminder during the search for a new sound. THANKS.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    AxemanVR and fezz parka like this.
  15. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

yea, i honestly think if lace gold sensors LOOKED like conventional pickups (with pole pieces - even if fake and embedded in the cover) they would be way more popular. Guitarists are just ABSURDLY conservative and if it isn't the same as what their heroes in the 60's and 70's played - IT'S NOT GOOD AND IT'S STERILE AND DOESN'T HAVE MOJO HURR DURR ... we see this all the time. It's why Gibson LP's don't have volutes.

My Strat Plus with Lace Sensor golds is SO jangly and has such incredible harmonics... these are in no way "sterile" pickups (god I hate that thing)

CapCrunch and bossaIV like this.
  16. Daddy Do Thang

Daddy Do Thang Strat-Talk Member

I have no idea. I just know I installed them and the damn guitar sounded..... Uh, springy.

For $25 it's worth a shot.

17. J557

J557 New Member!

I absolutely love my mother’s milk from bare knuckle. RWRP mid coil and they’re very quiet. A significant improvement from the noiseless scn’s I replaced.

18. bossaIV

bossaIV New Member!

Ended up going with the Lace Sensor Golds… I’ll report back after the swap out and spending some time with them! Thanks again, all!

Nevets and CapCrunch like this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Spend more time measuring and swapping pots 'n caps than pickups. Pots 'n caps have as much influence as pickups for the tone you get when the knobs are 'dimed'. Most players know what to expect from 250k/500kohm pots and then understand that pots have a 20% tolerance range min-max ...

20. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

If you want abit more jangle... try boosting your treble and lowering your pickups abit and your middle pickup all the way down to the pick guard surface...... you're welcome

Money spent 0 lol... all you need is a screwdriver lol

oyobass likes this.