Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best Unbalanced Cable

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by italianstallion, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Monster is nothing but a bunch of BS marketing.
    I must've never gotten the memo on Monster because I've happily been using the same Whirlwind cable for the last 25 years...

Nate D likes this.

2. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Mine was a brief love affair. And I would call it love or an affair. But it was at least brief. (That's what she said)

3. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Please excuse the newbie question, but what is an 'unbalanced cable'?

Unbalanced sounds undesirable...

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The plain quarter-inch jacks that you use to plug in everyday are unbalanced. Mics that use XLR connections and cables are balanced. Balanced lines give better noise rejection and reduce line losses with long runs.

5. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    Lava Cable has been great to me, a lot like George L or Evidence audio. I like the solid core that self taps into the tip. As per Lava's instruction, they say to twist half of a turn to tap, but I had many cables lose their connection with that method. Total BS, you have to screw them in about 2-2-/2 times and I've never had one fail on me.

I love the tiny little patch cables I can make with them, and my pedals stay very close together for best room-saving on the board.

As others have said, the screw on the back can loosen sometimes but I just have a tube of blue Loctite next to me as I make them now and they never come loose.

One of my boards from a little while ago. Very tidy and close together. IMG_5153.JPG IMG_5158.JPG

6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I do not put a tone of stock in one cable sounding SIGNIFICANTLY better than another....Yes I know there are differences, but my major concern is durability. I cant stand their guitar cables. But they are at least pretty. However they make a decent speaker cable if you forget how much they cost. But just about EVERY time in every case I have tried from guitar cable to speaker cable to headphone cables with Mini XLRs I have built a far superior cable in terms of durability. guitar cables are easy to make 4 total solder points. now headphones are another story. I dont even bother repairing most of them. Just build more. If you go through cables a lot. it is worth building your own. but if you dont. just buying them is a better option.

Nate D likes this.