Join Strat-Talk Today

Best used amp for clean tone, under $750?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Randyc901, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Randyc901

Randyc901 Strat-Talk Member

Hi All, looking for some input, just sold Blues Deluxe after a couple months cause it just sounded too bright with my strat, looking for a good amp for clean tone songs, my band plays classic rock in bars so 15W prob enough but was thinking 30W or higher.
    Have a Marshall DSL for crunch so don't really care about dirty channel, with a budget of $500 ideally, $750 if I see a great deal, thinking my options for used amp in Boston area will be like Hot Rod Deluxe, DeVille, saw a Vibrolux and a couple others in that genre. Have seen some very reasonably priced 4x10 DeVilles even though I don't need something that big. Also, I have an extra Celestion V-type I could put in if it would be a good fit. Thanks a lot for your feedback! Randy

2. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

Hot Rod Deluxe's go for around $350-$500 around Boston. A Deluxe Reverb would be a great option and they can go for anywhere between $650 and $800 used for the reissues. If you don't like bright amps, you can always clip the bright cap on the DR.

Nate D and Randyc901 like this.
  3. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

You can easily score a Twin Reverb Reissue in great condition for under $750. The king of clean. They're cheaper than used Deluxe Reverb Reissues right now in the tiny, low wattage amp craze we're currently in.

I'm not suggesting that's what you need but just putting some options in perspective for your price range.

Sangetsu, Bighump, GuitLoop and 4 others like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

If you want clean exclusively, it would make sense to get a solid state amp with reasonable output power.

Stratbats, johnnymg, Kayden33 and 3 others like this.
  5. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talker

Just got a Blues Junior tweed. Not real thrilled with its so far.

Stratoskater, 3bolt79 and Randyc901 like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Twin Reverb.
    Super Reverb.

7. Randyc901

Thanks! Was actually thinking about possibly a Roland Jazz chorus, have never played one though

8. Randyc901

Thanks, yeah that was my first choice, love the tweed, then played that and the Blues Deluxe and liked the bigger cab sound better. Then played at home and a couple jams and it was just too bright. So tough to tell until you actually own it for a while....that's why I'm asking for recommendations, thanks guys!

9. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

You can find Musicman Amps in the 300-400 range. Great cleans, built like tanks

Randyc901 and Bighump like this.
  10. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Big cleans...try out a Peavey Valve King.

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

If you have shoulders of Hercules, I would also suggest a used Twin. More clean than you'd ever need.

Randyc901 and 2GoneDE like this.
  12. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Roland Jazz is super clean, so be prepared for that. It is a fine pedal platform and most have JBL speakers. Not sure if that is what you are looking for though. No natural speaker break up.

Electgumbo and Randyc901 like this.
  13. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

He says he is playing at bars. Granted a twin is clean at pretty much all volumes - but it also weighs like 70 lbs. If you just want a clean amp and have to have tubes there are many other options other than something that is that big, that loud, and that heavy. (I own one by the way.)

I think if you find the deluxe to be too bright you're probably not going to really like any fender cleans tbh. I find them all to be relatively bright sounding with a stratocaster unless you tweak the EQ.

Randyc901 likes this.
  14. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Used Fender Cyber Twin. Killer amps and can be had for $500.

I got 1 when they first came out in 2001, and have used it for both a practice amp, and grab and go.

2 x 65w Stereo or 130w Mono.

Solid State Power x 2 12ax7 Preamp.

Boss/Roland Effects, and the Rvbs, Delays, and Compression options are killer

I also have a 69 Dual Showman RVB and the CT really gives up 0 to the DS.

Everyone that hears my CT comments on how good it sounds, and asks what kind of amp it is.

I did just upgrade it with 1 Celestion 90w Cream, and 1 x 150w Celestion Redback, and 2 Matched NOS Mullard I61s.

I use both of these model speakers with my DS, and also a Metro GMP45 head, which is a JTM45 clone, and these speakers work great with all the amp recreations I use from the CT.

CT is also Not a Modeling amp. The effects are.

Amp Is 100% Analog, with a Virtual Circuit Board.
    Instead of sampling, it reconfigures the circuit values to those of the original amps. But the materials are different ect. But the amp does a really good job.
    Steve Winwood has used 2 of them since 2004..

The trick to get a good sound out of this amp is learning to use the Trim, and Gain. Many of the amp recreations have a bit to much gain, but is easily remedied by decreasing it, and slightly increasing volume.

Also takes pedals great, but with drives ect, you really have to learn the Gain/Trim knobs.

The amp is also made to be played at gig volumes. The louder you play it, the better it sounds.
    Headphone Jack

Line Level
    Effects Loop
    Mono/Stereo
    MIDI/SPDIF
    130w MONO
    65w x 2 Stereo
    In/Out of Phase

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Randyc901 likes this.
  15. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I think it depends on what you really want in an amp. There are lots of good suggestions here already. In that range I like a used Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Peavey Delta Blues, Peavey Classic 50, Vox Ac30 S1, you can probably find a good deal out there at that price range. I recently traded a Vox AC15 for a handwired Deluxe Reverb Clone from a local musician. He was originally selling it for around 700. Good luck man.

Randyc901 likes this.
  16. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Vox AC15. It is my main gigging amp and I have never had the volume above halfway. Tons of clean headroom and sounds fantastic. Deluxe Reverb would be another perfect choice.

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Another amp to consider for great cleans under $750 would be a Mesa Boogie F-50.

LPBlue and Randyc901 like this.
  18. miveli

miveli Strat-Talk Member

1.Super Reverb 45W i have doubt that you can find it fro that price level
    2. HOT ROD De LUX

Milan

Randyc901 likes this.
  19. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pro Jr

Randyc901 and Nate D like this.
  20. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

Either a Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton Reverb will fit the bill for what you’re after

Randyc901 and Nate D like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.