it is 80's squier 62 strat

used scotchbrite to thin some of the poly but want it to be like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any suggestions?

stratphobic

-----------------------
Jan 14, 2011
Fort Smith, Arkansas
your neck will never look like a vintage fender neck because the vintage fender necks were finished with nitrocellulose lacquer which wore off with time causing that look and yours is covered, probably thickly, with polyurethane, which pretty much won't wear unless your hands are like sandpaper

BradL

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 1, 2010
Sussex, UK
32 year old Strat neck. Looked "as new" when I sold it.
5368423464_19a488d2e2_b.jpg

rcole_sooner

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I prefer a scotchbrite pad to steel wool, but either of those will only take the gloss off, or eventually all of the finish. To age a neck will take some color.

sarNz

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 28, 2008
Western MA
i sanded the finish off and used a dirt / charcoal combination to darken it. Then I just left the wood bare, feels soooo niceeee

Crazychris

New Member!
Feb 18, 2011
Lexington tn
I don't understand the hole relic thing guitars should earn the whear and tear from time being played. But that's ok different strokes for different folks. There is a whole bunch of how toos on youtub. If that helps good luck.

jflintmac

Most Honored Senior Member
May 2, 2010
Canada
If you want your neck to look like a vintage neck, just sand the finish off, rub it all over with dirty hands and spray a thin coat of lacquer over it.
It will look fine and feel all the better for it.

jonnywanders

Strat-Talker
Jan 11, 2011
Hertfordshire, England
i always sand the back of my necks because i hate the feel of glossy neck finishes. if you play long enough the neck changes colour. its just the dirt from sweat, smoke, drink, pizza sauce, crisps etc etc that are on your hands. ive got a maple neck that i swapped out for my rosewood neck that is noticably worn. ill try and get pictures.

Darryld1

Strat-Talker
Feb 15, 2011
Alpha Centauri
Leave it in direct sunlight. The amount of fade will depend upon the material used to coat the neck.

OR

I have a Flamenco guitar and before being coated in shiny lacquer, the wood was stained with Urine! I believe this to be the traditional way to achieve an orange-yellow stain. So i've been playing with a piece of wood which a Spaniard urinated on....pretty much. I'm sure we'd all like pictures of the process if you choose to use this method. ;)

Dr. Jimmy

Strat-Talker
Dec 1, 2009
Connecticut
I steel wooled the back of a poly neck because I hated that sticky feel, about a year or so later, it's starting to wear/darken in spots....

Vintage59

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 31, 2010
Lost Angeles
I don't understand the hole relic thing guitars should earn the whear and tear from time being played. But that's ok different strokes for different folks. There is a whole bunch of how toos on youtub. If that helps good luck.

I don't recommend holes when relicing (they're hard to fill later) and want to know where I can get some of this "whear" stuff. Is it expensive? Is "youtub" wet and are "how toos" a new kind of tattoo? ;)

Last edited: