Best Weight for a STRAT?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat-Man-Do, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

So what do you all go for in this department? I could could say that NOW when I look around at Strats or any guitar. I pick it up FIRST and if its HEAVY from that moment? I don't even play it!!!!

I like my Strats around 7lbs and lighter if possible. My Classic Vibe 60 is 6lbs. Part of where the LOVE comes from.

But hey I accepted 8lbs even with my US Deluxe. But hell I been looking at them for a couple years. Bad matched body grains, Fret sprout, and just not an acceptable finish in Stock. Was nice to find a Great Player with excellent grain and Decent weight.

But thts my limit 8lbs. AND I prefer weight relieved Gibson LPs. Their I said it. A Ten lb LP will get zero play by me,

2. K-Line

K-Line Strat-Talker Vendor Member

No magic bullet here. Weight does not matter. Play it, if it sings then it is the one. I like the 7.75 to 8lbs range myself. It feels like you have a guitar hanging on you but will not take you to therapy for a bad shoulder either.

3. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I personally like a heavy guitar. Its just feels good and solid to me. I play a strat so obviously its not a huge factor in my selection, tone is. I especially like a heavy bass. Heavy and long like a Rickenbacker 4001.

4. ratrod

ratrod Strat-Talker

i guess 7.25 to 7.75 is a nice weight, i don't see too many lighter strats than that

5. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

I did a thread on this a while ago after Strat weights came into a conversation

Strat Man Do I'd be surprised if you'd get a Strat sub 7lbs though would like to know if folks do have superlight Strats.

My lightestest Fender Strat is a 7lb MIJ, lovely for gigging. MIJ Squier and Am Std Nat Ash both 7.5lb and finally US '62 VRi is I think 8lb but might be 8 1/2lb, cant quite remember. Heavy enough (I'm not a big guy) as I actually gig this guitar the most.

6. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

I don't like guitars to be too heavy, I have a bad back.

7. Strat-Man-Do

My Lonestar 01 is 7lbs and my Classic Vibe build is 6. I have a Jay Turser thats High 5.9. But I would say the average Strat is 7-1/2 to 8-1/2, I LOOK for LIGHT though. Hey my US Deluxe weighs 8lbs and sounds and feels AWESOME. I get real happy when their Light and Sound Great. My Lonestar is a great sounding Strat. I tried to get the You Tube clip of it in action. But I can't get it posted on this forum?

8. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

I have no idea but my CS Clapton feels just right.....so whatever weight that is is the one, lol. :D

9. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Get the scales out Eight Ball but just don't let anyone catch you doing it.

Luckily my family already know I'm odd

10. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

6.2lb 'ish, but they're foot scales and the weight wasn't spread properly I bet, it's a smaller 57 body too so will be a little less naturally, I'm guessing 7lbs. ;)

11. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

Weight yourself and then weight again holding Strat and bingo.

12. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've never really worried too much about the guitars weight - except for when I had a Les Paul recording bass. It was like wearing a Hammond B3 around your neck, but it sure sounded great.

13. GaryM

GaryM Strat-O-Master

7.5 lbs is perfect for me. I have an 8lb Strat that feels too heavy.

14. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

My HW1 is my heaviest at 7lbs 15oz
    My '72 Deluxe Tele's 7lbs 2oz
    My CS '69 is 7lbs 10oz

I like the weight of my Tele. I've always found the Highway heavy, but all of them are really resonant guitars. I really think it's about the tone at the end of the day.

15. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

No more than 6.5 pounds. I think they sound better when they are lighter.

16. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Strat-Talk Member

I cant stand guitars any lighter than my current strat -- it weighs in at an earth shattering 8.7lbs. Very heavy for a strat, but its a notoriously heavy natural ash 70s RI. I LOVE it ... lighter ones feel cheap

Jake

17. gitlvr

gitlvr Strat-O-Master

I like 'em heavy. Never weighed them, but my main axe(partscaster) is as heavy as a friend's LP Studio. But if it sounds good and is also light, I won't turn it away.

18. Strat-Man-Do

Ya my Deluxe feels a little heavy at 8lbs. But damn its a nice sounding/looking Strat.

19. K-Line

K-Line Strat-Talker Vendor Member

You can get them light, I have had 1 piece ash bodies that were right at 2lbs 13 ozs. Built out at 6lbs even. Played it for 5 minutes and scrapped the build, had to source a new body. Weight has is simply a pre-conceived idea that it is going to sound good if you like light guitars and heavy ones will not stand a chance. Open your mind to the tone, feel, how it hangs, what does it sound like un-plugged. These are the things to get hung up on, not weight!

20. cmatthes

cmatthes Strat-Talk Member

I've never weighed any of my Strats. That being said, I have a Korina Strat body that weighs in at just under 3 lbs.

It's a doubleneck too!