1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Best wiring for a S-1 switch and Push/Push Mini-Switch into an American Special HSS?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jjw771, Feb 14, 2020.

1. jjw771

jjw771 New Member!

[​IMG]
    I have a 2018 American Special HSS strat with a greasebucket circuit and want to get the absolute most out of it in regard to tonal options. So I've decided that the best move was to get a DPDT Push/Push mini switch and an S-1 Push/Push switch. I have a pickguard with the mini switch hole pre-cut (off an american deluxe strat) and have screwed the DPDT switch in (they recommend gluing but I didn't like how breakable that sounded) so I have everything physically installed and ready to go - I just can't decide on the best approach for wiring.

I've been advised that I have the option for the DPDT mini switch to just be a standalone coil split for the humbucker (it's an atomic humbucker). The second piece of advice was that I could use the S-1 switch as a 'neck pickup on' switch. This would allow me to have an option for neck and bridge only, as well as an option for neck, middle, bridge together too.

This all sounds great and I really like the simplicity of it (it's easy to remember the standalone button coil splits and the S-1 is 'neck on'), but I feel like I might be under-utilising the S-1 and DPDT (there seems to be so many options). My understanding of the tonal properties of the various parallel/series combos is limited, as I've only ever had strats with the standard 5-way options and no extra buttons or switches.

So I'm basically wondering if (a) anyone on here has tried a similar thing - if so what worked best for them (b) just generally what everyone else would do if they had an HSS set up and theoretically infinite possibilities on how to combine the pickups.

I have zero experience with strat wiring, but I've done a few easy repairs on a range of other guitars (but it was always a case of "that wire is loose, I'll re-solder it", or "that wire goes there, so I'll just put it in the same place when I install the new pickup"). I'm decent with a soldering iron and have also worked on delicate PCBs (in games consoles/PCs), so feel confident with the mechanics of it. However, I'm sitting here looking at the S-1 and DPDT and literally have no idea which part does what, or what each colour of pickup wires represents etc. so please treat me like I'm completely new to this.

If I've done it correctly, my existing wiring should be showing as an image at the top of the page.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

2. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

That sounds like exactly what I would do if I were to run the same mod on an HSS.
    Personally, I'm just not crazy about the sound of split 'buckers and just stick with SSS for Strats, so my version of the mod would eliminate the DPDT switch and just use the S1 switch to connect the neck and bridge.

3. jjw771

jjw771 New Member!

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about SSS being likely the better option, I love the way my player strat (SSS) sounds. I've never owned a split humbucker or any guitar with a non-standard set up (I have guitars with a pair of humbuckers, a strat with SSS, and this HSS - which is the 'wildest' I've ever strayed from the 'classics'), which is why I thought I'd go the whole way with this one and really open up what I can do - I might not end up liking most of the options it gives me, but I'd like to give them a go just to see how they sound.

Do you know of any guides/documents on how to wire either the S-1 or DPDT? I might be able to work it out from there if I had something saying "this part does this, so if you want to make this part work with this part, connect here..." etc. or a go-to guide on how pickup wiring works (so I can work out which wire I should connect to where)?

4. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

The S1 is a 4-pole double throw switch.
    Each side of the wafer has three contacts, the center one is the common, and the other two are the NC/NO.
    These are not consistent with respect to the rotation around the pot... rather, they are consistent with respect to the installed position of the pot.
    IOTW: Two of the four are reversed.

S1-bottom-view.jpg

So if you want to use the S1 switch to connect the bridge and neck pickups, simply run a wire from the bridge hot to any one of the "B" pads, and from the neck hot to the "A" pad next to it.
    To use the S1 to split the humbucker coils, connect one of the "B" pads to ground, and connect the black/white from the humbucker to the "A" pad.

Same goes for the pushbutton switch. It's a DPDT switch, but you're only using it as an SPST for this application.

Pickupwire.jpg

5. jjw771

jjw771 New Member!

OK I understand now, that's really simplified things for me! Thanks very much.

6. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

Sorry I'm 6, months late. But I also have this HSS Am Special so I thought I'd post a link to my wiring.

The guitar has a very decent pickup set being a pair of moderately hot Texas Specials of 6 2k, and an 8.4k alnico humbucker.

My wiring uses basically standard parts, including tbe 5-way, tgough I did change to no-load pots. I added one dpdt switch, and one tone is repurposed as a series blender adding either the middle, or a bridge coil gradually in series to the neck.

Out of the various positions, you can get every hum cancelling combo of two coils, in series or parallel, a single for each position plus the humbucker, or a new humbucker using the M pickup, plus a few others.

Its written up here:

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/6873/strat-ssm2-hss-sounds-dpdt

[​IMG]

7 years later, its still my favourite player.

CB91710 likes this.