Best years of your life?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cali Dude, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

Good point.

Nadnitram likes this.
  2. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

I have no hopes for the future. My best years were without a doubt the 90s.
    We arent growing fewer on this planet so get real.

rolandson, Nadnitram and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

I like that outlook.

Nadnitram, Gonflyn and lammie200 like this.
  4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

Love DDY! He's always been amazing!

Nadnitram likes this.
  5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

Yeah, cool outlook.

Nadnitram likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I think the word "best" should be barred. Stricken from use. Cast into the void to die of suffocation in the icy cold of space.

If ya haven't guessed ...

about 15 years ago.

Nadnitram, circles and Cali Dude like this.
  7. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

It's hard to say which were the best but I am enjoying life at this moment in time; there's no point in looking back because yesterday's gone and there's no promise of a tomorrow.
    I was born under a bad sign, my maternal mother threw me away as an infant, adopted by a loving couple, worked hard all my lifetime with no help from my friends, lived frugal, saved and invested then retired @ 62 and told the world to kma. :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Nadnitram, Electgumbo, REWTX and 3 others like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I do vaguely remember when things didn't hurt, but it is what it is. Today will be yesterday tomorrow, so I try not to waste it.

9. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It’s all been a good ride, except for a few years in my mid-50’s when my body decided it didn’t like me thinking of it or treating it as “young and invincible” anymore and decided to teach me a little bit about starting to be old. There were all manner of physical and psychological adjustments during those years. But I’ve come out the other side and I’m a VERY happy and content 61 year old now.

My best years physically were probably 30-50. I was a hard core cyclist and was in amazing shape for most of that time and being in great physical shape is a real gift. Emotionally now is as good as it’s ever been. My wife and I have been through whatever challenges we're likely to see until the end of life stuff kicks in, hopefully not for a good long while, but we don’t get guarantees. She’s my best friend and I’m grateful as hell to wake up and go to sleep with her every day - I can’t imagine anyone else I’d have rather gone through it all with. Even the pandemic has had its pleasures. We’ve spent huge amounts of time together over the past year and she’s just a great hang, among everything else. Our daughters are both in their early 30’s and the last couple of years have been HUGE for them. Our younger daughter got married in October of ‘19, told us she was pregnant in late Spring, early Summer, and is due in less than a month. And we’re about 10 minutes away from she and her husband for the winter, so we’ll be here for the first couple months of the baby’s life. My older daughter finished her residency in June of ‘19, started being a full-time doc in November, and just got married in a tiny ceremony a couple weekends ago to a guy she’s been with about five years or so.

Having a happy marriage and kids doing as well as you ever could have hoped for and really coming into their adult selves is as good a feeling as I know. I’m not religious but I’m grateful and thankful every day for what we have in our lives. I guess I’m still young and healthy enough to enjoy it but old enough to really appreciate it now. I’ve been physically better than I am now, but I’ve never been as happy / content... I hope I get another 20-30 years, but if I died tomorrow, I wouldn’t have any regrets...

-Ray

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Nadnitram and Gonflyn like this.
  10. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

Probably from 16 to 21,
    footloose and and fancy free, invincible and immortal.

On second thought, 21 to 30, spreading the wings and seeing the world, playing the field, so much freedom.

No wait..........30 to 50something, meeting and marrying the person that would rock my self absorbed world and become my lifelong partner. Raising a kid who gave meaning to my existance - the best mission of my life. Settling into a really cool career.

Hang on - post 50 till now, being fortunate enough to retire early and rediscover the accompanying freedoms. Still able bodied enough to do the active things I love. Realizing what's truly important in life, family and friends, new and old.

Some trials and tribulations, sorrows and challenges along the
    way to be sure, but sometimes I feel so thankful for my life I could cry.

Currently working and reflecting on the importance of the here and now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    RaySachs and Nadnitram like this.
  11. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

In to second year of semi-retirement. Looking back I’m beginning to realise that of the six jobs I’d had since leaving school, the one I didn’t enjoy much was actually awful and the rest were OK. School was a mix of good and bad, exams, PE, homework bad. Playing drums in various school bands and summer holidays, good.

But, again with hindsight, I know that what was missing from all of my schooling and all of my jobs was freedom. For reasons of law or money, I was always tied to the place. Remember looking out of the forth floor window the geography class room. Traffic on what was then the main road into London, 15 miles away, tormented me, I perceived the occupants of cars and lorries to be ‘free’ whilst I was incarcerated.

I now have that freedom. OK, I work three hours a day four days a week but I deliver medication for the local pharmacy which means I’m out and about. Secondly, I do it because I enjoy it as a way of earning some pocket money to blow on gear, outings or whatever. If I get bored or the boss or company bug me, I can just quit.

So, where am I? Content, learning to throw off as many of life’s shackles as I can.

Nadnitram, Cali Dude and albala like this.
  13. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

It always been a up and down thing with me. It’s like life gives and life takes. I’ve just rode the wave as best I could. Done stupid ..it and made some good moves. I’m kinda that lemonade maker.

Now retired and financially secure for the most part I kinda do what I want. No more 4:00am alarm clock for me. That’s nice. Got my first grandchild due in the Spring. That should be fun!!! Sure being young is fun but I’m enjoying being old too! I got more out of life that anyone thought I would. It is nice to be able to tell the world to kiss my ass! I got a cool Ol’ Lady, two wonderful daughters, a roof over my head, my own private Guitar Center, a sports car in the garage and a pool in the back yard.

Yeah I’m on the down hill side of life but I’m gonna enjoy the ride to the end...

Nadnitram, Stratoman10 and Cali Dude like this.
  14. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone

I’ll meet ya there!

Nadnitram and rcole_sooner like this.
  15. UFO1965

UFO1965 Strat-Talker

My sentiments exactly...retired July 10, 2020...life is good...it’s 3G..guitars, golf and gym..good luck!

Cali Dude and Nadnitram like this.
  16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

It's been hit and miss. Good and bad points throughout.

Cali Dude and Nadnitram like this.
  17. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Love Dennis's voice, many of his songs. Love Tommy, too. I never got into taking sides in whatever falling out they had.

That said, it seems Dennis hasn't aged in 30 years ...

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 12.04.38 AM.png
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Cali Dude and circles like this.
  18. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Today is the best, followed closely by the anticipation of an awesomer tomorrow. I've a lovely wife of 22+ years and three daughters (20, 18, 14) who are compassionate and strong. If I check out tomorrow, I will have lived a full and happy life.

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-O-Master

I'm 44 now. If it turns out my "Best Years" are behind me then that's pretty sad.

At this point my best years were aged 18-25.

26- till now have been fairly stressful. Certainly others have had it worse, but it's been beyond my comfort level. The last two years I've been able to see a happy, stable future and I'm working towards it.

My kids are getting older & while many miss the memorable moments young kids create, I enjoy being able to have meaningful talks & getting glimpses of who they are becoming. I'm also enjoying some of the freedoms that come with having kids who want you around but can for the most part take care of themselves.

I've never been a person who cared that much about money so it's worked out well that I don't have that much. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that pays for living & a passion that pays for itself.

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

There was a time when I was invincible.
    Then I wasn't.

Cali Dude likes this.