BEWARE of selling on Reverb I just got royally screwed!!!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratatouille, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Replace them with T.V. Jones and it'd look fine.

2. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

Yes the seller loses because the guitars value is permanently lowered due to the beck break.Box does not seem damaged so it is a mystery as to how the damage occurred.

3. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

reverb shouldnt be in the insurance business if theyre not the shippers.They have O incentive to make sure shipping goes well as opposed to ups,fedex.On top of that,seller and/or buyer should have the right to refuse reverbs offer and receive full value of the guitar.The fact that they wont let you buy your own insurance is a racket designed for them to profit by selling bogus insurance.Complain to your state insurance regulator.This is horrible.Thanks for the heads up wont be selli g on reverb.

dirocyn and Stephen James like this.
  4. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, I think you got what you paid for. Reverb says they reserve the right to pay the cost of repairs if a damaged item is repairable, it doesn't say anything about buying a damaged but repairable item from you at fair market value. Insurance, especially first-party, often mitigates a loss but doesn't make you completely whole. My car is in the body shop right now due to a minor fender-bender, and when I pick it up, I'll have to pay a $500 deductible, plus I'm on the hook for the balance of my rental car after the $20/day that my policy allows. That sucks, but it sucks a lot less than it would if I didn't have any insurance.

5. nadzab

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like they only require you to buy their insurance on items over $1,500 if you use their shipping service - which reportedly is less expensive than using another shipper. But I don't see anything that prohibits a seller from shipping directly with FedEx or UPS and using their insurance:

Reverb Safe Shipping is required when purchasing a Reverb Shipping Label for items with a sale price between $1,500 USD and $10,000 USD. Neither Reverb Safe Shipping nor Reverb Shipping Labels are available for items with a sale price of $10,000 or more.

Stratoskater, bsman and rgbedard like this.
  6. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Whats that Gibson's reject pile or Pete townsends garage ?.

nadzab likes this.
  7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

That little blurb pretty much sums up what Reverb's position is when it comes to paying out damage claims. And tho that seems kinda crappy, it's like the wrecked car analogy above.

So if they are paying out what's appropriate to repair the neck, then they are meeting their obligation (which jives with typical, crappy insurance practices). I think they would only pay out full replacement value if indeed it was damaged beyond repair (i.e., forklift thru body), or if "full replacement" insurance is purchased in addition to Reverb's insurance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

What am I missing?
    Reverb offered to pay for the repair. How are you getting "royally screwed"?
    You as the seller are responsible for packing and shipping. It stinks the guitar still got damaged, but Reverb is covering your costs. Seems like this is working exactly the way it should.

9. warblington

warblington Strat-Talk Member

Anyone ever been tempted to buy a repaired neck break guitar? I'm kind of surprised there's a market for them. If this was me I'd get the best repair job possible and raffle it.Two hundred tickets at ten dollars.That said, I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma and there but for the grace of god go a lot of us.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Very Nice cases!!! I did something similar for my RRXMG when I got tired of not being able to find a case to fit it. The normal RR cases wont fit because the top point is shorter on the older models so the guitar wouldn't fit. didn't like how the Coffin Case allowed it to bounce around so I altered it. Here is the build thread for it.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/custom-case-for-rr.476069/#post-3218571

11. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That looks great, And it looks very secure by not allowing it to bounce around and get destroyed in the case.

Believer7713 likes this.
  12. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

It turned out really well and holds that guitar tight. I actually have to press it in in order to get it in. When I can get some more foam I will be doing that to more of my cases too.
    Sorry to the OP wasn't trying to Hijack you.

vid1900 likes this.
  13. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

I sell a lot of stuff on reverb, and unless it's some small, inexpensive item, I always ship it via Fed Ex. I don't trust UPS. I have pretty much always had a good experience with Fed Ex. The only time anything ever happened with them was when I sold a pickup, and the truck it was on was involved in some freak accident on the highway; all the packages got strewn about everywhere, and since my package was a tiny little box, it was lost. They refunded me the full amount within days.

If it's something expensive and somewhat fragile, I make sure to insure the full amount. Fed Ex then either packs it themselves, or they open up my box to inspect my packing job. That way, they can't come back and claim that it was improperly packaged.

Now, I've never actually looked at the specific terms of Fed Ex's insurance policy, so it never occurred to me that they might reserve the right to cover costs of repairs instead of replacement value. Maybe they do. Maybe I'll look into that for future reference. But, they've never damaged anything I have shipped, and I have shipped a lot.

UPS, however, has always left a bad taste in my mouth. We've had numerous problems as the recipients of packages, and the people we have dealt with in our area are unbelievably rude and unhelpful.

I've only shipped one guitar with a Gibson-style headstock -- it was a faded SG, so it wasn't worth a ton and I was willing to take the risk. But I don't think I'd risk shipping an expensive guitar with that kind of headstock. But, I have the benefit of living in a big meto area with a lot of potential buyers; if I didn't have that luxury, then maybe I'd be willing to take the risk.

OP, thanks for posting this, I didn't even know reverb offered insurance, and I'm not sure why they do (other than obviously to make money), but I will try to avoid buying it if I can.

If I were in your position, I would check with UPS. Probably no recourse, since they'll say that the box wasn't damaged, but worth a shot. I'd take it to a luthier and get it fixed and have reverb reimburse you for that. You said the only reason you sold the guitar was that you weren't digging the pickups, so just switch out the pickups for something else you like. It is often said that those headstocks become even stronger after they are broken and repaired, so you'll still have a killer guitar.

nadzab likes this.
  14. Stratatouille

Stratatouille Senior Stratmaster

Do I have to accept the return? The guitar is destroyed IMO. And there are no luthiers in my city anyway...

15. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry you got burned, you should be getting full value for the guitar and Reverb should get the guitar to do what ever they want with it. Screw Reverb, I won’t ever sell anything on there.

vid1900 and Stratatouille like this.
  16. Stratatouille

Thank you!

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

I think you can refuse the return, but I imagine Reverb would probably shut down your account if you do so (tho that probably wouldn't matter so much to you now, given the situation).

Just curious: what would you expect to gain by not accepting the return?

RobZ69 likes this.
  18. Stratatouille

Uh not having to issue a refund?

BTW the buyer allready left me negative feedback

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

No he shouldn’t, the policy he purchased does not cover replacement cost so he should not get the full value. Even fedex declared value insurance states it will not always replace a damaged item if it can be repaired they will go that route and just pay the repair costs.

Studies show that on average 11% of all items shipped are damaged. If reverb or fedex was to offer full replacement cost the insurance cost would be do expensive you wouldn’t buy it anyway.

20. nadzab

Absolutely correct, this was a business transaction where the terms were clearly defined, and reverb is fulfilling their side of the bargain. I don't understand why people are lining up with pitchforks & torches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.