Join Strat-Talk Today

BEWARE of selling on Reverb I just got royally screwed!!!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratatouille, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Well I figured as much.... but has Reverb put a hold on the funds in Paypal? Or have you pulled the funds out already? If Reverb has already refunded his money, they will certainly try to get it back from you, or they will be closing your account.

And I read the buyer's feedback --and yeah, that's on him (and probably not a good idea on his part). But I guess you have to consider the buyer's side in this as well: he paid you in good faith for a beautiful guitar but got a broken guitar instead, and then you refused to give him a refund, correct? I mean, no matter how you slice it, any sold item is always the seller's responsibility until delivered w/o issues to the buyer, and obviously that didn't happen in this case.

Again, sorry you're dealing with this, but your blame for what's happened is misplaced if you are putting it on the buyer.

RobZ69 likes this.
  2. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Well then I guess he better consult someone like you next time to go over all the legal terms so he understands what he is actually paying for. That’s not insurance he payed for, it’s a royal screw job. If I wasn’t going to get full replacement coverage I wouldn’t agree to it. Who want’s a repaired guitar that was mint and now is worth much less because of the damage done. Reverb might be living up to their legal agreement but the bottom line is they are selling insurance so they make money and they counting on most people not understanding or reading what the insurance is actually going to cover. They aren’t interested in a customers best interest. That’s what insurance is, it’s a money making business and the only reason it even exist. They never loose, they recoup their loses by raising everyones premiums.

3. bluejazzoid

Lol, isn't that the end-game of every business?

Insurance companies are a filthy lot for sure, but if you buy insurance yet don't fully understand the actual terms of coverage then why buy it?

KillingTone, nadzab and RobZ69 like this.
  4. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

The terms are in very plain language on the reverb site.

He got exactly the insurance he paid for.

News flash: All businesses exist to make money. If you can sustain a business that loses money, you're independently wealthy, and in that case, it's a hobby, not a business. Otherwise, you won't be in business very long.

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow so many wrong statements. First that is exactly the insurance he payed for per the contract. Second you are so wrong on his insurance works it’s laughable. Travelers for instance pays out 97% of the premiums they take in on claims. They make their money by investing the premiums and reaping returns on investment. The policy language is spelled out in black and white, if someone is not smart enough or more often too lazy to read and understand it that is on them.

I love when armchair quarterbacks like you try and act like you know how insurance works. Rates are calculated based on actuarial tables of past losses. A company must fund for those losses and return dividends to their shareholders. Of course they are in it to make money but all insurance policies must live up to the terms of the contract. Read your contract and understand it if you want to know what you will receive in the rent of a loss. Insurance companies do loose and if they lose enough they go out of business just like any company. But by all means p,ease explain how you Think insurance should work. Should they charge next to nothing and pay all claims at full replacement cost even if the insured is liable for damages? Or should they pay full replacement cost when a third party is liable like the shipping company in this instance? If they did this they would all go bankrupt and no one would have insurance and you would pay all your medical costs, car repairs, house losses and things like this out of pocket, yeah that would be awesome.

And Fender makes guitars for profit so I guess they’re evil too huh? Hell even this website is part of a corporate conglomerate so Strat Talk is evil too.

6. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

It is always a good idea to check the details of the insurance you are buying, before you buy it.

Stratoskater and roadhog96 like this.
  7. Stratoskater

Exactly, but of course he obviously either has zero clue how insurance and businesses work and/or has had a claim that he feels he was screwed on so he’ll just respond with another uninformed opinion or snarky comment. I had him in the cornfield for a long while and now I remember why.

8. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Another KID that knows everything, I’m done here goodnight.

9. Stratoskater

Yep a “kid” who’s been in insurance for near 20 years. How long have you had your insurance license for?

Seamus OReally and nadzab like this.
  10. Stratoskater

Just another grumpy old coot who THINKS he knows anything!

Cyberi4n likes this.
  11. Stratoskater

Told you he would respond like an @ss.

12. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Another "kid" here, it'll be 26 years come March...

Actually, if anyone wants to consider me a kid these days, I'll take it!

Violeiro, Cyberi4n and Stratoskater like this.
  13. Stratatouille

Stratatouille Senior Stratmaster

I don't think that in this particular circumstance you are right. They claim they will pay for the fix or repair of the guitar, but in this case the guitar won't come back to me as it was before because the repairs are going to be obvious due to the size of the break and it being a clear coated neck. So I end up with damaged goods. If I got in a car accident and destroyed my fender or whatever the shop can make the car just like it was before the accident. Therefore I don't consider this guitar to be 'fixable'. IMO they would have to replace the entire neck in order for it to be fixed properly but we know they aren't going to do that.

14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

15. Stratoskater

Again this is not replacement cost coverage meaning they only have to pay for repair to make it playable not to make it worth the value it was before. To use your car example, if you got in a wreck that tore the front end off the car your insurance would pay to repair it but when you disclosed the accident at the time of selling the car it would lower the amount you would get for it. Now if the car was totaled and you had replacement cost coverage they would replace the car with like in kind. Same thing here, if the guitar were smashed into 20 pieces they would not be repairing it. But since it is reparable just like if you tore the bumper off a car it is being repaired and you do not get a new one just like you wouldn’t get a new car. Insurance is not there to get your item back to the same value you want to sell it for, it’s there to make you whole. In this case you can use the coverage to get back a playable guitar just as you had a playable guitar before, it does not care or cover diminished value.

I know this sucks for you but you should have read the terms of the coverage and if they would not provide what you wanted you should have shipped via a carrier of your choice and bought their policy. Of course I just read fedex policy language and it works the exact same way and is not full replacement cost so I do not think there was anyway you could have insured against this. Either way your title and premise is completely wrong as Reverb did not screw you and upheld their side of the insurance contract to the letter.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  16. BIGHeadStockJunkE

BIGHeadStockJunkE New Member!

Wow! That sux! Anytime I ship something of that value I make sure I get the shipper insurance to cover the item being shipped via fedex, USPS or ups. Hope the outcome is in your favor Good luck

17. bluejazzoid

18. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

Stop being Caty :D

19. bluejazzoid

Lol - like you've got a DOG in this fight!!!

nadzab and Guy Named Sue like this.
  20. Stratoskater

Again read the policies. Fedex coverage is not replacement cost and works the same way, they will pay for a repair if it is repairable and not replacement of the guitar so you will likely get back a repaired guitar that cannot be sold for as much as it could be before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.