Big Headstock Models?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Namelyguitar, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Which MIA or MIM models are/ were known for the large headstock profile?

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

American special.

3. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

And most '70s issues/re-issues/tributes (including transition models beginning, I believe, in '68).

4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

The Vintera and classic 70’s strats have big headstocks, along with the American Performer/Specials. Also the MIM deluxe if I’m not mistaken. I love big headstocks. I have four strats, and all four have the big headstock. To me a small headstock just doesn’t look right, but I grew up in the 70’s, so they were everywhere.

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Just to add the Highway 1s were also big headstock - from their introduction the HSS model had the big headstock, and when they did an update in mid-2006 the SSS model also got the big headstock. The Highway 1 was the predecessor of the American Special, which came out in 2010, and the American Performer replaced the American Special in December of last year (2018).

@3bolt79 is correct; the 3 MIM Deluxe series Strats (Deluxe, Deluxe HSS, and Deluxe Roadhouse) all have the big headstock; they all came out in mid-2016. Previous generation of Deluxes have randomly had big headstock models going back at least to the 2000s, if not the late 1990s, for some models. Even as late as the 2014-mid 2016 Deluxe Series had 2 big headstock Strats - a Lone Star (HSS) and a Roadhouse (both the 2014-2016 and 2016-present Roadhouse models have an active boost circuit; the current one has a 12" radius, locking tuners and Vintage Noiseless pickups; the earlier one had 9.5" radius, regular pickups and regular tuners).

3bolt79 likes this.