Biggest disappointment band seen live?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Been lucky and never been to a bad gig.

Iron Maiden x6 times
    Airbourne x4 (3 of those dates supporting Maiden)
    Steel Panther x2
    Slipknot
    Stone Sour
    Avenged Sevenfold
    BFMV
    Sum 41
    Arctic Monkeys
    Blink 182
    Oasis
    Stone Roses
    Eric Clapton

Maiden are Maiden, league of their own and different class. Steel Panther are unbelievable, love or hate their whole shtick.

Love their studio stuff but footage I've seen of Motley Crue live is appalling from a vocal point of view.

2. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

What tour was the Slipknot show?

Saw them in Manchester (UK) on the All Hope is Gone tour in 2008-ish. They were great and Machine Head was the main support.

3. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

2009 post Meshuggah's Catch 33 and Obzen, so I guess all hope was gone by then. (To my ears that is...) There was just a tad to much of that big shot american posing thru the whole machinery. Backstage their roadies played faux security looking scary carrying baseball bats.

4. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

"Certainly in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often useful." - Ian Faith

5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Dave Matthews Band - I was on a date and slept through the second set.

6. CThomas

CThomas Strat-Talk Member

Completely agree. I've also been to 2 and it was 50/50.

7. BulletLee

BulletLee New Member!

I just HAVE to know what the appeal is for Joe Bonamassa?! I live near where he grew up and maybe it is just being in close proximity but I don't get it? Was it his young talent and the "could have been" trajectory? I appreciate his nerdy gear attitude and not only playing chops but also instrument knowledge but his playing is so boring! He has so many signatures too. To me just uninspired. I love the stuff he does on YouTube and his cameos on Norman's YT channel.

Anyways, the Kooks! Saw them in college 2008-09ish. They headlined and we left after like 2 songs. At least we discovered this sweet indie band that opened and absolutely kicked ass called "Illinois"... from Pennsylvania...

8. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talk Member

Aerosmith, Steve Tyler, drunk and stumbling. Fell down, vomited on stage. The audience buried him in trash thrown at him onstage. Venue, Ventura County Fair, CA

9. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talk Member

i saw Bowie at The Forum in L.A. Robert Frip played guitar. Was astounding! Maybe it the back up band that ruined it?

10. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talk Member

everyone thinks Joe is really good because he plays in weird ******* keys that are hard to figure out. Who the hell ever heard of blues in G#?

BulletLee likes this.
  11. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

I saw JB back in 2001 in a club in St. Louis with--I'm not kidding--about a dozen people including my friend and the bartender. (It was a fill in gig, mid-week.) I think the following week his album hit number one on the Billboard Blues Chart.

He played that night like there was a stadium full of people. Not an ounce of frustration or phoning it in for the small crowd. He finished with the best live version of "Are You Experienced" I've ever heard. Afterwards, my friend (who was a great bass player), and I sat down at a table with JB's bass player and started talking. A few minutes later Joe came out and sat down and joined us. (At this point, we were all that was left of the crowd.) He chatted with us for about 45 minutes. No pretension. No ego. He told several funny stories. And mentioned that he was looking forward to getting to meet John Mayall the next week.

He seems every bit the good guy who truly loves gear and love blues. Some of this later stuff can be a bit...busy for my tastes. But not always.

If you check out the youtube vid of John Hiatt sitting in with him at the Royal Albert Hall (I think), doing "Down Around My Place" I think Joe plays a killer solo, perfect for the song.

He's not to everyone's taste, but I'm still a fan.

12. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nazareth back in 1977 in Kalamazoo Michigan's Wings arena. The first two songs were gawd awful terrible. On the third song the lead singer walked off stage and came back on with a 5th of whisky. I thought this is going to get way worse. I left. I had a date with me too. I was pissed off. What a waste of money and gas.

13. rocks2oldies

rocks2oldies Strat-Talk Member

No it was Bowie who ruined it. Sounded awful.

14. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You mean, like, play some rhythm chords and do a song instead of just aggressive arpeggios?

15. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

It was bar band level stuff. Covers of ZZ Top...

The guy can play. It's just not interesting to me.

Nate D likes this.
  16. Nate D

Agreed.

17. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

Easy, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood when they did that big US tour some years back. I had good tickets, quite near the stage on stage right. Nonetheless, I was terribly disappointed in the experience. They both played great, but the venue was a hockey stadium. TERRIBLE acoustics, and with the volume turned up to 11, even all the bodies in that place could dampen the excess echo. Only that place could turn those performers into something that I end up having to leave early.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

I just dont understand, being in the sound business in a big way, how a guy could ever approach the level of "hired to do sound" for a famous band when all they know is volume? How can that last even one gig? I just don't get it. I'm a sound guy so I can take a lot but I had to walk out of Van Wailin' and REO Weedwagon due to the volume level. To this day I can't imagine why I ever bought tickets to REO unless someone else was on the bill that I wanted to see....but can't remember.

19. Nate D

Cliche is synonymous with genre, with genre being specifically geared towards the artistic categorization and cliche being about repetitive thoughts.

@Seamus OReally spot on observation my man... spot on.

Deafsoundguy and Seamus OReally like this.