Birth of the Cool

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

If you can find this somewhere make sure to watch it. It's a great documentary on Miles.

2. Chimey

Chimey Strat-Talker

Yes, it is, I started it last night. I have his autobiography book, Miles. I haven't read it in decades, but i think allot of the narration for this documentary might be right from the book. Regardless, they're both great. Thanks! :)

EDIT: It's on Netflix now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

i think Miles is possibly the best autobiography ever written. He's as ruthless with himself as he is with others... a person who knew him pretty well said his initials MD really stood for Mean Devil... and his autobiography confirms that! but he was nothing but heavenly when he played.

4. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I love to chill to Miles Davis sitting outside with a Guinness and good cigar. I will have to track it down.

Guy Named Sue and Roger66 like this.
  5. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Just watched that, really liked it. I think they did a great job actually downplaying the SOB side -- not meaning avoiding it -- and making Miles seem human and relatable. I wish it had focused a bit more on his relationship with other musicians, but it was interesting getting a better look into his personal life. Thanks for the rec.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  6. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Miles (the book) is a great one.

Guy Named Sue likes this.