Join Strat-Talk Today

Black Crows

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-Talker

Anyone excited that the Blacks Crows are back touring?

s5tuart and Deathray like this.
  2. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

Really good. I like their style

Stratafied likes this.
  3. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talk Member

This guy is! Especially since they've got Red Rocks on the schedule. The last time I saw them was when they were on that weird co-headliner tour with Oasis.

I realize there's a lot of hurt feelings and many years of conflicting egos in the rearview mirror of the band (I plan on reading Steve Gorman's book), but the Black Crowes' music still remains in my rotation, so I'll go see them anytime.

RadioFM74 and Stratafied like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-Talker

I recently watched a video on YouTube with Rich Robinson , he was showing some of their riffs in open G .

5. tanta07

I watched their recent live videos (on Howard Stern and then at a club in LA) pretty closely, mostly to see what kind of shape Chris Robinson's voice is in these days. I never thought his raspy, throaty style of singing would age very well, and he was apparently a big fan of the, uh, marching powder, which is hell on the vocal chords, so I was worried that his voice may be toast these days.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he sounds great. I'm definitely in for seeing them at Red Rocks.

Deathray likes this.
  6. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I really like their use of open G tuning and their riffs

Deathray likes this.
  7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

They have done some fantastic stuff.

Stratafied likes this.
  8. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

I’d go see them. I saw them live, about ten years ago or so and was very impressed. I thought that they were one of those rare bands (in my opinion), that sounded better live than on record. I’ve since learned that evidently the two brothers have a history of fighting and not getting along. I saw the recent Howard Stern clip, thought that they sounded good, and did notice that the brothers smiled at each other a couple of times during the song. Maybe they’ve matured, and hopefully it will work this time around.

Stratafied and Paperback Rocker like this.
  9. Deathray

Deathray Strat-O-Master

If tickets can be had somewhat reasonably, I plan on catching them in Chicago. They have always been what I consider to be authentic American rock n roll. I keep a guitar in open G, just for Black Crowes and Stones tunes:thumb:

Stratafied likes this.
  10. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Great band. But this really isnt the black crowes, more the robinson brothers playing crowes songs. Hopefully they can keep it together.

Morf2540, Stratafied and DeMelo like this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Hell yeah! Great vid from the Howard Stern show! The bass player is the amazing guy who played (plays?) with Tedeschi Trucks Band. They sound great. Nice gear if I may add ;D

Stratafied likes this.
  12. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I really dug them when they were first around - first couple albums were great. Rich Robinson was basically just a Keef rip-off, but he was a really good one, and who better to rip off if you can do it well? And his brother is a pretty good rock singer. But I saw them live in the mid-90’s, when they’d been around just long enough that they should have been good, and I thought they were pretty bad. Really lost interest in em after that. Maybe I caught them on a bad night, but it was enough to keep me from going back... At this point, I really don’t care one way or another. They’re nowhere near the VERY short list of acts I’m willing to pry my ass out of the easy-chair and go hassle traffic and crowds to check out live anymore...

13. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

When are they gonna be in Red Rocks?

That place is on my bucket list!

14. tanta07

Boognish and Mansonienne like this.
  15. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

They did this before calling it Brothers of a Feather and it was pretty damn good. I've watched the DVD of them live at the Roxy many times

16. anticarnist

anticarnist Strat-Talk Member

Heck yea. I got to see Chris Robinson in Santa Cruz recently. Awesome show. Hopefully ticket prices won’t be $$$.

17. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

The Black Crowes are not back together. There's a tribute band of 2 members using the name in a cash grab attempt to rape the memory of the other band members.

Chris and Rich hated the first album almost as soon as it was done. Refused to play much of if any of the material from it for decades. Suddenly they want to do it live? They hated each other for decades, and now they're chummy?

No thanks. I will just listen to the album. Besides, they went down hill like a fat kid after a runaway doughnut after that first one. Loved it, loved a couple other tunes over the years... but those Robinson Brothers can kiss things I can't post here.

18. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. If snits and snags ruined a band for me, there wouldn't be many left to like.

Deathray likes this.
  19. tanta07

Huh...I've found the opposite. I !listen to Moneymaker far less than the rest of their catalog.

20. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Something must be going on ...
    As I travelled over the long weekend, I heard station after station playing Crows songs.

I woundn't mind seeing them if it were a small to medium size gig.
    I don't suffer arena spectacles as I did in the past.

Morf2540 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.