Blackface Fender Vibrochamp with External Speaker Jack

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Chicago93, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Chicago93

Chicago93 New Member!

My vibrochamp came with an added external speaker output. I've heard on forums that the 8 inch speaker really limits the sound.
    Should I either:

1.) just go the easy route and pop in a Weber 8 inch speaker

OR

2.) find a 1x10 or 1x12 cab and speaker set to 4 ohms to run it through (a lot more work and time-consuming)

Is the extra 2 inches really worth it? Also a huge factor for me is keeping the volume low for my neighbors so it might actually be smart to keep the smaller 8 inch.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

The 8" does limit the sound, but the sound that it makes is sweet. Would be the perfect practice unit, if it only had a reverb tank. I'd leave it alone, you can hear it fine at home, and if you need something a little more gutsy for playing out, watch the funny papers for a good used PRRI, etc.

Shinbones, Chicago93 and Elvie like this.
  3. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

A few considerations.

If stock your VC is set up for a 4-ohm speaker. Those are available but less common. I would not suggest running the amp on an unmatched speaker.

On the VC's I build I replace the RCA jack and use a 1/4" jack like the other amps use. Obviously that requires modifying the speaker cord. That gives the option to use an external cab.

The 12" will not be louder due to size. It depends on the speaker. You will get better spread. You may even try a 2/12 or a 2/10 cabinet. 8-ohm wired in parallel will give the 4-ohms needed.

Chicago93 likes this.
  4. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

The big improvement with these amps comes from stuffing in a bigger OT , and one with a much better sounding 8 ohm tap!
    On my second VC a 1982 reissue model that I did the OT mod to I also cut the baffle to fit a 10" driver .
    It takes a bit of doing, but it will fit, it's just that dependant on the steel frame of driver you use you may have to notch it to clear the long multi section filter that hangs down off the Chassis.

Shinbones, Chicago93 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

Ahhh hhhmmm... let's keep this family friendly please LOL
    BUT, I wanted to write about 10 different off-color comments when I read this ;-)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    JustABluesGuy and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Shelby

Shelby Strat-Talker

I had a 65 Vibro Champ and ran it thru my 67 2X12 Bandmaster cab.

You would be surprised the difference when moving more air.

Even for low volume home use moving more air with bigger speakers sound better imo.

7. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

I have a Champ and a VChamp, both of which have the tone of the gods when fed into one of my Marshall 4x12 cabs that I wired to 4 ohm. Very thick, airy and beautiful Class A tone and quite loud too! 5w can make a lot of noise!:cool:

Shinbones likes this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

I have 1968 Vibro Champ that I modified to mount a 10 inch speaker and it is a tremendous improvement.

9. pierce

pierce Strat-Talker

you don't need to mod the amp.. just replace (and save) the rca jack and replace with a 1/4 switchcraft.. fits the same hole. Make a new speaker cord (and save the old one with the RCA amp jack) and you can run either the internal OR the external speaker for under 5$ and not drilling any holes

[​IMG]

LPBlue, Shinbones and Will Lefeurve like this.
  10. Shinbones

Shinbones Strat-Talker

Or you can make a speaker lead with a male RCA jack on one end and 1/4" mono jack on the other end. (For use with an external speaker cab)

11. Shinbones

Shinbones Strat-Talker

My Champ (non-Vibro) got a larger OT a while back, as well as a new Jensen P8R (AlNiCo) 8" speaker. Both made a big difference and together they're a huge improvement on the stock setup. I actually prefer the way it sounds through the 8" speaker compared with a 1x12 cab.

12. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Yes, over driving a speaker a little is a big part of a great solo / lead sound!

Shinbones likes this.
  13. pierce

pierce Strat-Talker

Why bother.. unless you arent solder iron friendly? One more thing to forget at home or trip/disconnect

14. pierce

pierce Strat-Talker

Correct bias is a big improvement also

Shinbones likes this.
  15. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

This is the same thing I do. I like the flexibility. Grab and go when the small combo is what I need. Use it as a head when I want something else.

There are lots of different ideas about lead tone and distortion, as evidenced by the posts in this thread. Not right or wrong just different tastes. I rarely like the distortion contributed by a speaker. But that sound is certainly what many well-known players wanted from a Champ. My favorite setup with a Champ is a 2/10 Alnico cabinet. Lots of fun options to explore.

Shinbones likes this.