Blonde Fender Price

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Haloskater24, Aug 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Haloskater24

Haloskater24 Strat-Talk Member

Whats a good price for a Blonde Fender Bandmaster with the head and cab? as far as i know the only thing replaced was the speakers (70s JBLs) and it has a stain on the tolex but thats about it. The asking price is 2k flat, is it worth it or should i wait for a price drop?

2. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

It all depends on what circuit it has. "Blond" doesn't mean anything other than the color without knowing what circuit it is. For example, the early blackface Bandmaster came in blonde until Fender used up its stock of blonde Tolex.

The brownface/blonde circuits have a presence control on the front panel. The blackface/blonde circuit does not. The specific brownface/blonde circuit can only be determined by pulling the chassis and inspecting. The paper tube chart inside the cab has a circuit number, but may not correspond to the actual circuit.

In the Reverb.com price guide the prices are all over the place. it's not super useful because you can see the prices, but not the old descriptions of exactly what was bought. The range is $599 to $3,500 which is almost meaningless. My guess is that for a very good to excellent Blonde Bandmaster head and cab that are all original, the range is $1,500 (blackface circuit) to $2,500 (brownface circuit).

With the JBLs, it's hard to say if the price should be the same as unmolested examples. It's your call as to whether you like JBL tone or not. IIRC they don't handle distortion very well and are best at cleans. You can always sell them, assuming they're ok, and put in something more appropriate to Bandmaster tone.

All things Bandmaster from our friends at Mojo Tone.

Haloskater24 and The-Kid like this.
  3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

I'd love to have it but not at that price.

The best circuit is the harmonic vibrato with six preamp tubes.
    It's a really cool effect.

Haloskater24 likes this.
  4. Haloskater24

So should i just wait for a price drop? its on GC and it already dropped by 200.

5. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

If it's the '62, it's up to you whether that's in your price range and if you want the JBLs. That price isn't a bargain, but it's not rong either. I'd call them and get a first person description of the condition and functionality of everything.

Given its age and unknown maintenence history, this is not a plug and play amp. Allocate another $200 minimum in your budget to have it gone through by a good amp tech before you power it up. Because of its age it will need new filter capacitors, other bits, and maybe a tube or two. Assume nothing about the condition or previous service.

BTW that stain on the head looks to me like bleed-through from a knot in the wood. Those cabs were made from pine that often had knots and over the years a knot can bleed sap through the Tolex. If so, it's permanent. Just another mark of authenticity. :D

The '61 is the same price, but the slight downside is the replaced output transformer and mystery speakers.

If you want the cleaner AB763 blackface circuit, there are much better values there on GC.

Anybody else have opinions? It's lonely out here.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Early 6g7a maroon Grill cloth with. Cream Nubtex...2k is a good price.

Late BF with smooth Tolex 1k-1.5k.

The earlier the better.

7. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

You can search sold listings on reverb now, and always could on eBay. I recommend doing that. However, keep in mind that the price is inflated at least marginally to cover the fees associated with said sites.

8. Haloskater24

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as a blackface bandmaster, its not really up my alley as i kinda wanted something in between tweed and blackface soundwise plus i LOVE the harmonic tremolo(if you listen closely Curtis Mayfield used this effect on some of the early impression records). Schools coming up so after i pay for classes in Oct. if its still up ill just probably grab it or if i find another Blonde 6G7-A Bandmaster for a great price. Also its kind of funny that all of the Blonde Bandmasters ive been able to find are all over 2k and i asked Joe Bonamassa whats a good price for this amp with head and cab and he said 1250!? Is that even true or was he just trolling me?

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

No he's right its a good price. Not realistic, but a good price.

10. Haloskater24

So whats a realistic price? I really dig this amp and wanna grab it but i don't want to get ripped off.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I said it above. 2k. That's all original down to the speakers. Non original speakers...knock off a few hundred.

The brown faced amps...all of them...are special. The Pro, the Super, the Concert, Vibrolux, Vibroverb, Tremolux, Bandmaster, Bassman, Deluxe, Princeton, Twin, Showman, Vibrosonic...And they fetch a pretty penny.

93-Strat likes this.
  12. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

Not all blond Bandmasters have 2x12 cabinets, some had a single 12" speaker and a tone ring. And there were the Bandmaster combos with 3x 10" speakers...