Blues guitar teacher in Chicago or North suburbs

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

I have been playing for over 20 years (not continuously) and I feel like I have hit a ceiling. I have tried to improve my speed with online lessons, youtube, books, etc, but I find that it's tough to stay disciplined with those approaches, and there's so much out there it's hard to know what's good and what isn't.

My goal is to really improve my technique and speed in a blues context. I don't need to be Yngwie fast, but I would like the ability to bust out some speedy, tasty blues licks/runs a la Kenny Wayne S, SRV, Johnny Winter.

I have decided that taking lessons again would be a good idea. Haven't taken any since I first started out as a teenager.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good blues guitar teacher in either Chicago or the North or Northwest suburbs?

Sorry if this isn't posted in the right forum -- this didn't seem to fit in the other forums.

2. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Look up Malikon .Former member here .outstanding player,speed demon. From Chicago and gives lessons .

3. Mind Flayer

Thanks, I'll check him out. Is he a blues oriented player, or more metal-oriented?

4. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

5. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Practice sequences of 3 and sequences of 4 ascending and descending your pentatonic boxes. Once you have that mastered apply hammer-ons and pull-offs to the sequences and use them at will, also adding passing tones, 9th's, and 13th's to your runs if so required. Mix it up with what you already know. This worked for me.

I have the general level of speed you are aiming for but to be honest focusing on note choice and bending for various microtones would be a more original approach to getting more from your playing. When you have speed within pentatonics it becomes a game of this pattern over whatever rhythm is going on behind you with the band, like superimposing one rhythm over another, only, you aren't playing rhythm, you are playing leads. You wind up stacking note count more than being selective in saying something a lot of times. It is cool, but not as cool as swinging leads and great note choice that interacts with the chords the best. However, if you are dedicated you can do both and mix them up at will, then you have a level of blues guitar mastery that you can pick and choose as you go and as you feel. In my own playing I have generally gone to being directed more and more to feel over speed except for the more opportune moments. Many don't understand that until they get there themselves (I didn't either) so take your own path to get to YOUR sound. That's what it's all about. Best of fortune with your blues playing!

6. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

7. Mind Flayer

Thanks for the replies!