Join Strat-Talk Today

Blues Jr. III Tweed speaker swap.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratGuy4692, Aug 12, 2019.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

I love my blues junior III Tweed but like a lot of people I am finding the top end almost too shrill. I know there are mods one can do but tonally the easiest thing people think of first is swapping the speaker. I'm looking for something with better bass response and something that can tame some of the really extreme top end. My own mind has me going between the Eminence Texas Heat or the Cannabis Rex I've heard so many people talk about. Upon my own listening the Rex seems too brittle so I'm more inclined to lean towards the Heat speaker but are there other options I might consider?

2. aiaosu

aiaosu Strat-Talk Member

Most of the eminence speakers I've heard (the ones you listed plus the red, white, and blues) were less hot on top with more bass. They also seemed more sensitive which made them louder than other speakers I've tried.

I don't have the Blues Junior but if you want more bass and less treble, an eminence would be my recommendation. You still might need to try a couple to see which sounds best for you.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

What speaker do you have in it now?

4. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Just put the CRex in it. It sounds great. It does NOT sound brittle at all Very warm. Perfect balance for the harshness of the BJ. I used that combination for quite a while before I moved on and got a Princeton Reverb and a Vox AC15. But the BJ + CRex sounded very good and was very versatile.

5. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

CRex is an excellent speaker, I use one with a pro jr and it's just the right balance for me.

6. StratGuy4692

I have the stock C12 Jensen
    I just can't seem to tame some of the high-end even with the amp EQ and if I turn on an overdrive pedal oh boy

7. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

I had a used Celestion Blue I put in mine. Love the sound. Only thing with the blue is there's just barely enough room, you have to take the back bell cover off the speaker, and it just barely eeks in.......but it's so dang worth it. That can be an issue with Alnico speakers and the evil, spawn of the devil Blues Junior everybody's talkin' about. You should measure before you buy a speaker.

Tone Deaf and The Strat Dude like this.
  8. Antstrat

When you do find the speaker you want do a bit of research to make sure it will fit like @hornpiper said above.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  9. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Back when I owned a Tweed Blues Jr, I installed a Texas Heat and really liked the result. Smoothed out the top end and sounded fantastic with overdrive.

StratGuy4692 likes this.
  10. aiaosu

aiaosu Strat-Talk Member

Near as I can tell, many of the eminence speakers are similar with minor nuances. Rolled off highs with more lows and more output...seems to be their M.O.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a couple that aren't, but that's been my experience. Good candidates for bright amps or a darker sound.

11. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

I have BJ nos tweed and could not rip that Jensen out fast enough. I had a Crex a wgs Black and Blue and an Emminence maverick, I still use a Emminence GB128 with it. I also have a WGS G12Q in a cabinet I play with it for murican tones. I also have a speaker branded as an Ampeg but it sounds an awful lot like a Celestion blue that sounds great with it too.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    hornpiper likes this.
  12. Antstrat

13. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

C-Rex is the right speaker for a Blues Jr imo. It will definitely round off the harsh high end, beef up the bottom, and make the amp feel a bit louder too.

Grux and StratGuy4692 like this.
  14. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Antstrat likes this.
  15. StratGuy4692

The only problem I'm having now is I don't know how difficult it is going to be for myself to install it I don't want to screw up but guitar center won't do it as it's a modification. I'm going to call my luthier here and see if he can do it if not I may just leave the stock speaker it's not that big of a deal but I'd like to roll off some of that high-end and the speaker seems like the best way to do it.

16. Antstrat

Pretty straight forward. No soldering required just need a screwdriver and you're good to go.

Would like to add though, if you don't feel comfortable taking the guts out of an amp by all means for piece of mind find someone who will do it for you. Cost you a few bucks but so what. Any amp techs in your area?

17. StratGuy4692

I'm not sure I'd have to look into it.

18. Antstrat

Your guitar tech should be able to recommend someone.

StratGuy4692 likes this.
  19. aiaosu

aiaosu Strat-Talk Member

Do you have a friend that's handy? It's honestly very simple and straightforward.

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

A speaker being rated to handle 150 watts without damage has essentially nothing to do with its low power performance. I regularly run a cabinet rated for 160 watts with my '57 Princeton 5w amp.

Antstrat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.