Join Strat-Talk Today

Bluesbreaker question

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by guitarface, Jul 7, 2019.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

wanna make sure I have this right-

The amp that Clapton played on the beano album was a Marshall bluesbreaker. (I don't know if it was called that first, or just came to be called that because he played it while in the bluesbreakers. But that's neither here nor there).

Many years later Marshall put out a pedal called the bluesbreaker. It was probably supposed to sound like the old amp, but it didn't, but it was still quite popular as a "transparent overdrive" but it was basically a different thing/sound from the amp.

Now, today, there are a number of bluesbreaker clone or inspired by type pedals- jhs mornin glory, wampler pantheon and king of tone, among others. Those pedals are copying the pedal, not amp, I believe. Is that right?

And finally, today, there are plexi in a box type pedals. Sometimes that Clapton beano amp gets swept up in the very flexible definition of plexi, even though I don't think it had the plexiglass panel from where the term comes from.

All of this is a long way of asking am I correct- a contemporary plexi style pedal and a bluesbreaker pedal do two different things and aren't going to overlap all that much, right?

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  2. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Sorry I cannot help you out with your questions

3. guitarface

I forgive you.

Alan Crossley likes this.
  4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Thank you from an avid Clapton fan. It would appear impolite not to give some response to your question.:D

5. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Honestly, I’ve been wondering much the same

6. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

You'll no doubt find a wealth of knowledge on the web referring to Marshall history..

I'm of an age.. :eek:.. that I can remember back pretty far.. and I do think Clapton and his being in the Bluesbreakers gave the amp its monica. Before that they were just combo's named on their production year.. I think.. o_O

As for pedals.. I've only owned one Marshall pedal, and that was the Guvnor.. and that, if my memory serves me well, did (more or less) what it said on the tin.. imitated a cranked Marshall stack..

CigBurn likes this.
  7. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

JTM 45 is the amp. A pedal that models that should get you close

Bighump, 3bolt79, Grux and 1 other person like this.
  8. guitarface

That's not the question.

Misty Mountain likes this.
  9. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Not exactly what you asked, but as far as I'm concerned, a Marshall Class 5 amp is pretty much that tone in smaller and more affordable version, but it needs to be cranked, and at just 5 watts can be very loud for home use. That one reason why I sold it.

10. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

If you can’t have one of these the Wampler Plexi Drive gets you in the ball park... 77AFAE53-DCE7-46EC-B0BE-0F907559A950.jpeg

11. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

As a corollary, I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal that is a slightly less gain'ey option. It too flavors things toward a Marshall, but never quite all the way there obviously.

mshivy and Will Lefeurve like this.
  12. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

The Bluesbreaker pedal will not give you the Clapton Bluesbreaker amp Sound
    ( arguably the greatest tone in rock/blues history)

I have a Snouse - a Bluesbreaker-type Pedal - and it’s really a beautiful Overdrive.
    It’s more “ transparent” than a TS type
    There’s any number of “Marshall in a box” pedals, you really have your pick

CigBurn and Will Lefeurve like this.
  13. Misty Mountain

Yep I did not. I just wanted to clarify the amp model used.

14. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

Correct. Most folks think "plexi" refers to the JCM 800, a non-master volume 4 x EL-34, 100-watt amp head through a 4 x 12 cab. The Beano amp is a JTM 45, 2 x KT-66, 45-watt 2 x 12 open-back combo, with a tube rectifier. In front of which Clapton may have stuck a Rangemaster Treble Boost. Quite different amps.
    Most of the pedal clones called "Bluesbreaker" are not that different from any medium-gain overdrive pedal, but many have a more neutral midrange than a typical TS-9 Tube Screamer-type. Some do not. All the clones sound different from one another. There's no "standard" Bluesbreaker pedal tone, except maybe *not* high gain.
    The ZVex Distortron is a good JTM-45 "amp-in-a-box" pedal for those "Beano" toans.

errikwong likes this.
  15. Misty Mountain

Plus a Les Paul! Preferably with fifties bumblebees and some good unpotted PAF clones...

Or if you can afford it, the real deal! But we probably would not be quibbling over pedals if you can afford the real deal 1959/1960 (I have read it was one of those two) Les Paul!

16. MartinoTJ

MartinoTJ Strat-Talk Member

I think that a good way to emulate a Marshall Bluesbreaker sound is using a Tech21 British w/o the speaker emulator into a Fender amp or with the speaker emulator into a PA. Personally I don't have one but I have the other 3 pedals of the character series. They are incredibly realistic especially if they are connected straight into the foh mixer.
    Those days I rather use them more than my tube amps...they weight so little...
    Just my 2 cents...

17. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Think about it this way; put aside the 'bluesbreaker' term when you think of pedals. I'm sure Marshall thought bringing up that name would help in their product sales, but it is, and was, nothing more than a misnomer. No wonder people get confused and bring this up in forums! :p

I would classify a 'plexi' styled pedal as emulating anything from the JTM45 all the way to the SLP1959; both of which cover very wide Marshally classic rock tones. Some pedals that do the plexi thing are more versatile than others. My personal favourites are the Tech21 British Sound, and the Lovepedal Purple Plexi. They are wildly different pedals.

As for the "Bluesbreaker-style" pedal, I would use it in front of a black-face style amp, where the naturally mild mid-range helps add a bit of overdriven character. I own the King of Tone and the Snouse Black Box on separate pedal boards, both of which cover that ballpark "Bluesbreaker-style" pedal tone. However, I use them as solo boosts, and not standalone drives.

18. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

19. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, basically. JHS did an interesting video on the topic just recently. Check youtube.

JB74 and guitarface like this.
  20. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

This is the vid:

guitarface likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.