Boeing 747 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Numbercruncher, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Does it have an autopilot? The software in it may be flawed and it could crash.

edit: sorry that was the 737 model

Jesse414 likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Had to look it up to be sure, the fuselage of a boeing 747 is made of aluminum. Seeing that price tag almost made think maybe its Titanium, but it's not.

That price can't be justified.

Jesse414 and Miotch like this.
  3. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Probably corrosion resistant coating. Usually some form of zinc chromate.

I've built planes, flown planes and once completely disassembled every removable part on a DC-8 then cut it up for hauling to a smelter. And I've never ran across a piece of aluminum worth that much money.

I actually like the idea and the execution, though.

Jesse414 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  4. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

<<Shrug>>

5. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

I like it but perhaps not $4500 worth. The price is in line with the other CS strats, so I guess it's not too expensive from that perspective.

Miotch likes this.
  6. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

The primer used on the fuselage components for all aircraft made (in the US as least, but I think worldwide) is green. It's the standard primer color. If you remove the interior panels of an airplane you will see lots of green primer.

The primer used on and inside the wing is a special primer made to be in contact with fuel (since the inside of the wing is the fuel tank), it is yellow in color.

Here's my photo of one of these Boeing Fender guitars that I took at the Boeing Future of Flight Museum in Everett, WA (next to Boeing's widebody factory) on January 24 2020 when I was there to watch the first flight of the 777X:

IMG_20200124_123823631.jpg IMG_20200124_123847290.jpg IMG_20200124_123925276.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Jesse414 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  7. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Whoa. Holy ripoff, Batman. I can see how adding an authentic piece of fuselage would make it a collector's item (for the right person). But $4500?!? I wouldn't pay that even if the whole darn thing was made out of Boeing parts and it came with a matching airplane seat fabric guitar strap.

Jesse414 likes this.
  8. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

The landing gear is titanium. And it ain't cheap!

9. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I see others have described the reason for the green color but you cannot simply delete a post so I am decommissioning it.

NC

Miotch likes this.
  10. EyeLikeTortoise

EyeLikeTortoise Strat-Talker

If y
    For all the people complaining about the price, you do realize that this is pretty much the going rate for a Custom Shop Fender? (The Boeing guitar IS a CS Strat) If you think a Custom Shop Fender is overpriced, that's fine, but at least value this thing in relation to other CS Strats. I don't see people posting the search results for CS Strats on Sweetwater and having a 4 page thread complaining about how expensive they are. So why is this such a big deal because it says Boeing on it? I'm confused.

Jesse414 and bsman like this.
  11. Jim H

Jim H Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Have a Fender Custom shop Ritchie Blackmore signature with the two fender lace pickups and with the Roland synthesizer option . The wood they used and the progressive scalloping was a work of art. Pretty big neck on it too. I think they listed for about 6,000 with that option. Got in touch with custom shop 2 years after they were discontinued and they said they had enough stuff to build one more. Paid around 4,200 for it and never regretted spending the money. The yellow one is from the Japan custom shop and was 3,250 shipped from Japan. 100_2042.JPG 100_2042.JPG

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

$4500 seems to be about the midpoint for Fender CS Strats right now. And this one is a CS Strat. I like the pickguard, but some of the other photos leave me cold. I have other Fender CS guitars, but I don’t think I will add this one to my list.

Some additional information here. Including information on the zinc chromate primer...

https://www.boeingstore.com/pages/fender

Numbercruncher likes this.
  13. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

Here's something you won't see on Fender's or Boeing's page:

Toxicity[edit]
    Recent studies have shown that not only is zinc chromate highly toxic, it is also a carcinogen.[17] Exposure to zinc chromate can cause tissue ulceration and cancer.[1][3] A study published in the British Journal of Industrial Medicine showed a significant correlation between the use of zinc chromate and lead chromate in factories and the number of cases in lung cancer experienced by the workers.[18] Because of its toxicity the use of zinc chromate has greatly diminished in recent years.

Jesse414 likes this.
  14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

I take it back, this justifies the price.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

You mean that extended exposure to heavy metals in an aerosol dispersion could be bad for one’s health? Who knew?

I remember seeing an article about zinc chromate as a requirement for naval aircraft and for fire bombers. In both cases, it was considered a requirement to kept the airplanes from falling apart due to other chemical induced corrosion. I was thinking at the time that anything that kept the corrosion from happening really couldn’t be good for the applicators.

16. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

Maybe the $4500 also include a hazmat suit. Yeah I can see that on stage. :rolleyes:

17. Numbercruncher

Yeah but go to the Fender guitar page and you'll get a Kalifornia Proposition 65 warning that all Fender guitars cause cancer. Well if you would keep the damned thing out of your mouth . . .

NC

Deafsoundguy and Jesse414 like this.
  18. Joelish

Joelish Strat-Talk Member

" Here at Boeing, we just got 346 people killed recently due to lies on our part, but we're sorry. Here's a ridiculously overpriced Fender Stratocaster with a dumb pickguard for sale to make it up to you. You can let everyone know you don't have a conscience by proudly displaying it in your living room because it says Boeing right on it! Show everyone that the real reason you're rich is because you're cutthroat and you care not for human life!"
    Seriously if you have to take a trip, it's probably gonna be on a Boeing, but you don't have to actively support these people. It's the equivalent of Fender making a BP branded guitar right after an oil spill.

bsman and Jesse414 like this.
  19. Numbercruncher

Don't agree with the above. There are a lot of people who can appreciate the 747 and if they value that aircraft and this guitar then they should feel free to buy it. Now a guitar in honor of the 737 Max might make one scratch their head. But haters are going to hate we know that.

NC