Join Strat-Talk Today

Bolt on strato neck drill holes diameter!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scorpionscar, Apr 17, 2018.

1. scorpionscar

scorpionscar Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I'm new at this forum, my name is Juan Carlos and I'm from Spainn, I'm building a strato relic and Richie Sambora's signature strato and tomorrow would like to assembe the body and the neck and need to know the diameter of the drill in both the body and the neck. I'll use a standard bolts and plate. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scorpionscar

bassetman likes this.
  2. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

11/64 - 3/16 for the body, 9/64 for the neck...guess that would be 4.5 and 3.5 mm respectively

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    scorpionscar likes this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Counting headlice on the highway Strat-Talk Supporter

I think it's 4,5 mm for the neck holes and 3 mm for the pickguard holes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

scorpionscar likes this.
  4. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Just pick the smallest bit that allows the neck screws to slide freely through the holes in the body. You do not want the threads engaging the neck pocket wood.

9/64" sounds right for the neck. I'd go just a hair smaller than the diameter of the bolt shaft (not the threads) and only go in about a half inch.

scorpionscar likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Everyone has their favorite methods, but fasteners like this have some specifics.

It's only the threads of the screw that provide grip, not a tight fit on the root diameter of the screw. Drilling the hole undersized only serves to make the screw more difficult to drive and provides no more grip or strength.

You can get away with it using good screws, but break off a cheap screw and you'll think up some new words that will scare even the dog. ;)

scorpionscar likes this.
  6. nadzab

I agree with everything you've said, but a) unless he's going to install the neck and never remove it - possible, I suppose - I'd recommend a tight fit to minimize slop over time. Not everyone is as careful as they should be when threading into existing screw holes in wood;

And b) I would never advocate using cheap screws :)

scorpionscar likes this.
  7. scorpionscar

Thank you for your answers guys. About the deep, I suppose more or less the length of the screw, cause the mapple is hard and if don't help the screw, it could broke into the hole or burst the wood.

Scorpions

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Definately make sure you drill deep enough, not a bad idea to wax the screws either

scorpionscar and Bob the builder like this.
  9. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

What I do is measure the screws as the stick out of the body. Then wrap a rubber band around the drill bit at that length. The point of the screw can go a tiny bit into the undrilled wood, but the rubber band keeps you from going to deep and possibly through the neck.

And I would get the best quality screws you can. And wax is recommended over soap (water based will swell the wood and can corrode the metal over time).

nadzab and scorpionscar like this.
  10. scorpionscar

Both guitars will mount a Floyd Rose original non recessed. I've heard is a good idea tu put a shim between the body and neck. If someone have a similar guitar I would very grateful if put some pics of the bridge and the joint in order to give an idea. The shims are 1º. Every information is wellcome. Thanks in advance.

First I'm going to essemble both the neck and body, but after that have to unscrew again in order to paint. I'm afraid screw-unscrew could damage the wood or the thread, but is the only way. is the first time I build a bolt on neck, usually went for glued on, but time to expereiment.

Scorpionscar

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. scorpionscar

If you allow me I'm going to use this topic for adding pics and comment step by step the advances of this two buildings.

Scorpionscar

12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome in Scorpion. Your Strat is looking good so far.

13. nadzab

Looking forward to it!

scorpionscar likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.