Book of Boba Fett

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
Didn't see a thread for this....

took me three attempts to get through the first episode. One of my favorite characters of the Star Wars universe and all these years I wished there was more Boba Fett screen time and this left me wishing they hadn't bothered with it. I doubt I'll watch the rest. They managed to taint Boba Fett and the Sand People in less than an hour.

He escapes the Sarlac Pit significantly heavier than when he fell in?

oh well... may the force be with the Obi Wan show ...

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
Didn't see a thread for this....

took me three attempts to get through the first episode. One of my favorite characters of the Star Wars universe and all these years I wished there was more Boba Fett screen time left me wishing they hadn't bothered with it. I doubt I'll watch the rest. They managed to taint Boba Fett and the Sand People in lest than an hour.

He escapes the Sarlac Pit significantly heavier than when he fell in?

oh well... may the force be with the Obi Wan show ...
Yeah. The Mandalorian is just miles ahead of this, so far. I’ll reserve my full judgment until the end of the season:

but they set up Fett to be a badass guy in the original trilogy and the Mandalorian, and they’ve turned him into very much not that.

I understand wanting to keep Morrison since he was Jango Fett, and his voice is awesome. But it’s just not a very riveting show so far.

they took a villain and have so far not made him into an Anti-Hero.. he’s just been a hero so far.

maybe they’ve got something cool up their sleeves, but so far the Mandalorian is a million classes above this.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
I wish I could tell you it gets better
I'll never know ... and its a shame.

I really try not to be THAT Star Wars fan and just try and have an open mind but I just felt sorry for this show.

I can't decide which part made me cringe the most... the overly dramatic suiting up or when he took off his helmet or when he declared himself a crime lord and demanded tribute.

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
I've been watching it.. because Ming Na. Even with her in it, the show is awful. The lead is so cartoonish and one dimensional its like he's trying to compete with that bantha thing he was riding for worst actor.

And yet, there is still Ming Na.

Last edited:

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA

I really try not to be THAT Star Wars fan and just try and have an open mind but I just felt sorry for this show.

I can't decide which part made me cringe the most... the overly dramatic suiting up or when he took off his helmet or when he declared himself a crime lord and demanded tribute.
Yeah. It’s simply a show nobody asked for. There were a ton of fan pleasing options. Over the hill good guy crime lord Fett was not one of them.

albala

Dr. Stratster
May 10, 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
I liked the Mandalorian quite a bit. My expectations for Star Wars were rock bottom after these last movies, and the Mandalorian was a pleasant surprise for me.

I think my hopes were a little too high for the Mando. My wife liked it but can't tell me why she liked it. I thought it was OK, but I have no interest in watching it again...and are there no other actors in the world besides Bill Burr? His appearance and Boston accent were too much reality for me to overcome.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
Yeah. The Mandalorian is just miles ahead of this, so far. I’ll reserve my full judgment until the end of the season:

but they set up Fett to be a badass guy in the original trilogy and the Mandalorian, and they’ve turned him into very much not that.

I understand wanting to keep Morrison since he was Jango Fett, and his voice is awesome. But it’s just not a very riveting show so far.

they took a villain and have so far not made him into an Anti-Hero.. he’s just been a hero so far.

maybe they’ve got something cool up their sleeves, but so far the Mandalorian is a million classes above this.
yes I enjoyed the Mandalorian a lot. And they hit it out of the park with Rogue One... heck I even kind of enjoyed Solo...

albala

Dr. Stratster
May 10, 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina

None of it makes sense and even worse, I don't care about any of the characters. I'm hoping for some sweeping changes to take place.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
yes I enjoyed the Mandalorian a lot. And they hit it out of the park with Rogue One... heck I even kind of enjoyed Solo...
Yeah same. I’m guessing they have a point with this particular series.. but I certainly haven’t found it so far.

it’s modern streaming, so they’ll be doing some big fan-service reveals/cameos in the coming episodes. Pretty much a guarantee.

they’ll have to salvage quite a bit. I find this show watchable, and my son wants to watch it each week, but it’s not a “glued to my TV” situation at all.
Biggest compliment I can give it is that the Sand People were cool.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
Didn't Disney take over that franchise?

Everything they touch turns to crap. They destroyed the Simpsons by turning it into a cartoon version of Glee, after a successful run of 30 years.
To be fair, the franchise has been in the pot since the mid 80s. And Disney does consistently hit it out of the park with Marvel, with fans. There hasn’t been a good “big” Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. The last 2 entire trilogies were busts.

My beef isn’t with Disney, entirely. it’s more with Kathleen Kennedy, who inexplicably keeps running the SW brand..

while on the other hand, Feige at Marvel has made himself a legend, under the same Disney umbrella.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
With a total screen time of 6m 32s and 4 lines, the Fett was never supposed to be a fan favorite.

I think for a fan of the Fett, with such limited reference points, you imagined your own version of the Fett. So, as they have to imagine who is the Fett in this série, if it’s not what you imagined, your disappointment level is high.

To me, with little expectation of who Boba Fett is, I’m willing to listen and see who this character is with no expectation. It probably make my listening experience easier.

However, I’ll admit that it’s not to the level of the Mandolorian, but I wouldn’t yet classify it as a bad series. Maybe my opinion will change as I watch more, I think I’ve only watch 3 episodes.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
With a total screen time of 6m 32s and 4 lines, the Fett was never supposed to be a fan favorite.

I think for a fan of the Fett, with such limited reference points, you imagined your own version of the Fett. So, as they have to imagine who is the Fett in this série, if it’s not what you imagined, your disappointment level is high.

To me, with little expectation of who Boba Fett is, I’m willing to listen and see who this character is with no expectation. It probably make my listening experience easier.

However, I’ll admit that it’s not to the level of the Mandolorian, but I wouldn’t yet classify it as a bad series. Maybe my opinion will change as I watch more, I think I’ve only watch 3 episodes.

there were pretty expansive books/comics about him, but those stories weren’t used at all. Disney is taking from the 90s extended universe stuff when it pleases them, and leaving out others, to make their own new canon. Which is their right, they own it.. but a lot of their decisions have been pretty headscratching (the last trilogy entirely)

To me, the Thrawn trilogy of books is mostly better than anything they’ve come up with since ROTJ. So they’re bringing that character back soon.. but it’s too late to adapt that story, without trashing what they’ve already put on screen.

it’s telling that even main stars of the trilogy have negative things to say about it.
There’s a lot of meat on the bone for Star Wars, just waiting for them to come out with something consistently entertaining.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a better Star Wars film than anything they’ve come up with in 30 years, if you know what I mean. And it wasn’t even a Star Wars movie. They just don’t have the right people leading their brand.