Books on Fender?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lankytwang, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-Talker

I've had the Duchossoir books on the Strat and Tele for many years now.but they only cover up to 88/90 respectively.Since then Fender have introduced many models under different names and I want to get myself up to date .Looking online there appear to be many books available..question is which to buy?Any suggestions guys....Thanks in advance.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

3. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

If you can get by without photos, do a search for the multitude of model history lessons posted here by @John C

Very informative.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

A good book that is an "oral history" of the development of the Strat is "The Stratocaster Chronicles" by Tom Wheeler. It's also outdated now - it was released in 2004 for the 50th anniversary of the Strat - but the stories are great.

Another one is "Fender - The Sound Heard 'Round The World" by Richard Smith. It's also outdated, from 1996 - but a lot of info about all the Fender models up to that time, and the amps as well.

For a somewhat different perspective George Fullerton wrote 2 books that detail Leo's activities after Fender (mostly G&L but some on Music Man - George left Leo for a few years during the MM time period). The first was "Guitar Legends: The Evolution of the Guitar from Fender to G&L"; the second (written shortly before George died) was "Guitars from George & Leo: How Leo Fender and I Built G&L Guitars". For the flip side of how Music Man unwound there is also Forrest White's book "Fender: The Inside Story" - White was Leo's factory manager at Fender, and he went on to be one of the 3 partners in Music Man (Leo, Forrest and Tom Walker were the owners of Music Man).