above ground
Booshy?
ZFIqS1c.jpg

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Curious about those kooky tuners?
I say kooky because its hard to graft new ideas onto a closed mind and thats the best I can do, even as the tuning of the low E is more fiddly that it needs to be with 1/64th of a turn of the button raising the pitch 1/2 step.
Do all the strings move up or down the same interval with the same tuner button rotation?

As for the relic work, interesting stuff!
Overall nice looking build, maybe a bit thin neck and small frets for me but the guitar is for you, so my taste has no bearing!

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
...Lol...that relic looks so *****' fake...and the headstock shape is hideous really...
It’s not really supposed to be realistic. The heavy relic arm wear is to highlight the undercoat 3TSB. It’s not a fender so I didn’t want a fender stock.
My dog can build a more realistic lookin' relic than that. The upper bout, looks like a bear attempted to rip a chunk off it thinking it was food.
Kewl…
A builder shipped it in a soft case?! That is insane. The soft cases with hard foam may have worked but your builder's case looks as strong as a terry cloth towel. I empathize with you. :(
What did it look like right before it was shipped? Wondering what is shipping damage and what is relic.
It’s all relic. No shipping damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Happy new guitar day!
Are you pleased with it? How does it play?
Action was a little low outta the box. Now it’s perfect. And it’s so damn loud acoustically. The low E sounds bright unplugged. And the high E sounds bassy. It’s crazy.
It’s honestly amazing.
Curious about those kooky tuners?
I say kooky because its hard to graft new ideas onto a closed mind and thats the best I can do, even as the tuning of the low E is more fiddly that it needs to be with 1/64th of a turn of the button raising the pitch 1/2 step.
Do all the strings move up or down the same interval with the same tuner button rotation?

As for the relic work, interesting stuff!
Overall nice looking build, maybe a bit thin neck and small frets for me but the guitar is for you, so my taste has no bearing!
So a half turn on the machine head changes the strings pitch a half step. All strings are this way. And yeah, I get it. If you see a strat and want everything on it to be the same as a Fender, this guitar will disappoint you.
The neck measurements are duplicating multiple exacting measurements from 64 Fender Strat. So it’s a little delicate/thin in the open area. About the same as a fender C. And transitions to a chunky feel as you work your way to the higher frets. Although it never gets quite as chunky as my Vintera 60s Strat. That one can only be described as a baseball bat.
But the fret wire isn’t small. They are certainly tall. And not skinny. I don’t recall the Jescar number but they’re close to 6105.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Action was a little low outta the box. Now it’s perfect. And it’s so damn loud acoustically. The low E sounds bright unplugged. And the high E sounds bassy. It’s crazy.
It’s honestly amazing.

So a half turn on the machine head changes the strings pitch a half step. All strings are this way. And yeah, I get it. If you see a strat and want everything on it to be the same as a Fender, this guitar will disappoint you.
The neck measurements are duplicating multiple exacting measurements from 64 Fender Strat. So it’s a little delicate/thin in the open area. About the same as a fender C. And transitions to a chunky feel as you work your way to the higher frets. Although it never gets quite as chunky as my Vintera 60s Strat. That one can only be described as a baseball bat.
But the fret wire isn’t small. They are certainly tall. And not skinny. I don’t recall the Jescar number but they’re close to 6105.
Very interesting prospect those new tuners, thanks for the details.
May have to try a set!
Neck shape and frets?
Personal fitment stuff, nice to get what you like.
I have two Warmoth necks in finishing and fretwork stage now, moving slow on them. One is the 59 which is fat but suits most players, the other is a fatback and not as popular.
I can live with almost any shape that has full shoulders, but those tend to be on the fatter side.
Not fretting with my thumb!

RavenPOL

Strat-Talker
Nov 24, 2022
Poland
@BuffaloHound Dude, first of all, that thing looks used. Heavily. Second, the color is not at all classy. Tell'ya what, I'll save you some trouble and take it away from you no charge, I'll even pay for shipment. ;)

Seriously: what a beautiful guitar, that nut looks cut perfectly, color is wonderful, relic is very ok. Congrats on your new instrument!

Jeez, this neck looks so comfortable!

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
@BuffaloHound Dude, first of all, that thing looks used. Heavily. Second, the color is not at all classy. Tell'ya what, I'll save you some trouble and take it away from you no charge, I'll even pay for shipment. ;)

Seriously: what a beautiful guitar, that nut looks cut perfectly, color is wonderful, relic is very ok. Congrats on your new instrument!

Jeez, this neck looks so comfortable!
Thanks.
My only regret is not getting a hard tail. I use my trem arm maybe 10 minutes a month, but I wanted to develop into using it more.
It turns out this trem isn’t setup right. Every time I use it all the strings go a half step sharp. My tech wanted to replace the bridge plate as an experiment. I passed.
I’m sure it’s a simple solution with the plates screws, but I don’t wanna dig into it.

RavenPOL

Strat-Talker
Nov 24, 2022
Poland
@BuffaloHound I don't want to instruct you on obvious things, but have you tried the usual stuff? Greasing nut slots, adjusting claw screws, taking off one of the tremolo springs? Maybe you changed strings gauge to lighter? Strat tremolo isn't really that complicated to troubleshoot. You use it both ways? Or just to go down? Maybe just deck it if nothing helps? Hardtails are ok, but a tremolo strat is the classic look.

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
@BuffaloHound I don't want to instruct you on obvious things, but have you tried the usual stuff? Greasing nut slots, adjusting claw screws, taking off one of the tremolo springs? Maybe you changed strings gauge to lighter? Strat tremolo isn't really that complicated to troubleshoot. You use it both ways? Or just to go down? Maybe just deck it if nothing helps? Hardtails are ok, but a tremolo strat is the classic look.
No worries. I’m open to advice.
The bridge plate was touching the body when I got it. After a day of playing I loosened the strings and cranked down the trem claw screws. My normal setup standard is to have the claw so tight that I can drone the low E, and do bends on other strings without it changing the pitch of the low E. So I like it decked pretty hard.
When I did that to said guitar it changed the intonation and action, and I couldn’t even get it tight enough to do what i previously described.
So the trem claw screw holes need to be deeper, which is cool. I’m handy. But I didn’t want to mess with it. So I put it back to “factory” and am playing it without the trem.
Obviously the bridge plate is touching the body but not all the way.

It just felt like a can of worms I didn’t wanna mess with. Some day I’ll take it to a luthier in Tampa and have the clay dots on the top of the neck replaced with pearloid. When I do that I’ll have him fix the trem too.
It doesn’t really bug me unless I think about it.