Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Booster on guitar?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by cappei, Nov 29, 2017.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Does someone owns, or have seen a booster in a guitar. I was just checkin' the Sambora super strat signature and it has a "mid-boost circuit of 25db" what ever the hell that is...

I get it boosts, but what does it do exactly? afects the pots, the pups or what?
    It's to hard to introduce in a guitar by my own means? I now squat bout' electrics

So, opinions, ideas, will be much apreciated

2. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I have one on my Elite. It's passive. Allows the full humbucker to be sent straight to the amp (bypassing tone, volume, etc). It's loud as hell but has a great sound.

3. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Passive boosting ? Unlikely to really boost anything...

The Clapton mid boost (active with 9V battery) boosts a lot though. Lots of video to look at to hear the result.

You need space for a battery and a small pcb.

Someone speaks (in the "my 3rd knob still useless" thread) about a kit that you can put in place of a pot...

Paperback Rocker likes this.

4. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    It doesn’t boost any particular frequencies but it is much louder with the HB straight out than with the volume at max. John Surh used one and called it a Blower Switch. Fender calls it the Passing Lane.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Sounds like a Clapton style mid boost - 9 volt battery as mentioned above - gooses the mid frequencies - uses a push switch instead of just the knob like a Clapton.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    S1 switch that I believe MetalPedal is talking about is not the same as a mid-boost, which has to have a battery.

7. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Exactly except the S1 switch is a different beast. The Passing Lane switch puts the HB in direct contact with the cable no matter what the possition of any switches or knobs. The S1 switch adds and subtracts various pickups and changes the wiring configuration.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    As mentioned, the S1 is an additional pick up selector switch, no boost.

I have the EMG SPC in my Strat, I'm not sure of the amount of boost, though it acts like a Tubescreamer by not only boosting the mids, but by also rolling off the highs and lows.

The Sambora Strat boost is functionally the same as the Clapton boost, though not adjustable as its a button instead of a knob.
    I believe its centered around 800Hz and has a healthy 20+ db boost, and yes, it runs on a battery.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I have the V6 circuit in my Roadhouse Strat. It provides about 6 dB of boost.
    I prefer the sound of my Mystery Brain though, so I bypass it on the guitar, which is easily done via S-1 switch.

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Right, but that's not what this thread is asking about. ;)

11. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Much easier and simpler to just put a circuit into a box on the floor and plug in.
    That way you can use it with all your guitars. :cool:

EP101.jpg

cappei likes this.

12. PCollen

PCollen Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    I put an EMG PA-2 booster in a Strat Plus years ago, preset to a given boost level and always on when the cable was plugged in. It put the Lace Sensor single coil output up to the level of a humbucker, but did not alter the tone...just clean, neutral boost. It made a BIG difference in driving amps and effects...BIG. The guitar volume and tone on 7 was like a normal Strat on 10. You can do the same thing with an external clean boost pedal, and not be so deviously deceptive about it. But that was back in the day when I would offset my amp control knobs so no one could copy my amp settings and steal my tone-mojo .:cool: