BOSS guitar pickups?

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

That there is one of those famous five string guitars. Was it listed with a note that the buyer can find a string easy and cheap? I've bought a few of those five string starter models.

A curiosity fulfilling purchase is good medicine every now and then.

I've seen pickups like that. If you pop off the back plate glued on you'll find a ceramic magnet slipped in a slot on its edge, while the wire is wrapped around it on the bobbin. If you look at it like an x-ray, it's a lipstick pickup without the metal case using a plastic bobbin instead of tape to hold and separate the parts. They work, far worse constructed pickups have been copied by boutique winders to satisfy demand for 60s gold foil etc pickups with rubber magnets and so on.

It's easy to blow fifty bucks on too many frivolous ways these days, so you've got a puzzle project for the weekend to mess with.

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I'm going to put this loaded guard on one of my strats that needs new strings this weekend. If they sound decent I'll probably install new electronics and save them for another project. I like oddball stuff and having something apparently nobody else has (whether awesome quality or not) is fun. My curiosity will have been satisfied.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I wouldn't say this just to be kind, @Lonn, but I agree they sound good. If they're noiseless as well – which they seem to be – I think you've snatched victory from the jaws of defeat! TBH, when I saw the neck and your description of the body, I was starting to wonder what you'd got yourself into, but all's well that ends well. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
I'm going to put this loaded guard on one of my strats that needs new strings this weekend. If they sound decent I'll probably install new electronics and save them for another project. I like oddball stuff and having something apparently nobody else has (whether awesome quality or not) is fun. My curiosity will have been satisfied.
Clean them up and advertise them for $100 on ebay.de (Germany).