BOSS Katana 50 amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Fender love it, May 22, 2021.

1. Fender love it

Fender love it Strat-Talk Member

Hi all

I was wanting to know from anyone who may have a BOSS Katana 50 amp? I'm thinking of buying one. It gets great reviews and comes at a good price. Any feedback on this app would greatly appreciated. Even if anyone has any good alternatives in the same price bracket.

Many thanks
    Rohan

apm1991, TheDireStrat and fos1 like this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

@Thrup'ny Bit has a thing or two to say.

tery and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

If you want a modeller that has a list of amps to choose from, buy something else. If you want to find your own sound, buy a Katana.

4. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I had one for a while and I could never get a sound I liked out of it. I'm probably in the minority though, given how popular they are!

Slyy, jtoomuch and shupe13 like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I had the 100w head version. For the money it would be tough to find another amp with the features and versatility of a Katana that sounds anywhere near that good and has the kind of dependability BOSS/Roland products do.

The only reason I sold the head is I already have a 20 year old Roland Blues Cube 60 and an Egnater Tweaker Head and had no need for a 100w amp I was playing at .5 watt most of the time. As SS amps go a Katana is among the very best.

mone, fos1, Baelzebub and 3 others like this.
  6. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

I have a Katana 100 MK2 and it's a great amp.

I also own and continue to use a tube amp, (Orange Rocker 15).

I would not hesitate to take the Katana anywhere to play.

fos1, Baelzebub, Thrup'ny Bit and 2 others like this.
  7. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

I had the Katana 50 and it was a cool, simple to use and great sounding amp. I used it for practice only. I prefer the Fender Mustang GT.

jtoomuch likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

THIS +1.

Welcome to the forum.

I would only add that if you an go for a bit of extra money, get the 100 rather than the 50. Not only do you get more amp choices and twice the pre-sets, but the 50 does not have an effects loop. If you plan to use pedals at all you're going to end up wanting that.

You won't pay that much more for a 100 if you shop around for a used 100 MKI, although they're surprising a bit difficult to find, even a year or so after the MKII came out. A testament, I think, to how good they are and how well they hold up.

Exhead and soulman969 like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

No you don't. You just get an effects loop.

mone and Bob the builder like this.
  10. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have to agree here. I had one and I sent it back for something else. I'm not here to bash it, I just didn't care for it at all.

11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You'll be happy with a katana 50
    You'll be happier with the 100

bldwndp and ajb1965 like this.
  12. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

They sound great - I wish they had knobs instead of colored lights .

13. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I use a MK1 100 watt in a pub band. It has enough oomph to keep up with a drummer in a medium sized room (if nothing is mic'd).

It is not a tube amp. It is a good versatile SS amp. Different but not bad different. Easy to drag around. Lots of internal BOSS pedals to choose from.

I recommend getting the matching footswitch if you need to change patches easily.

14. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The Katana 100 is not far from a Quilter Aviator Cub in price. If you don't need the built in effects it's very hatd to beat the Cub IMO. It is however twice as expensive as the Katana 50.

bldwndp likes this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

One thing that may be worth mentioning is that the Katana architecture is based on an EL34 powered tube amp similar to a Marshall. So the fundamental voicing including it's clean tone will be more Marshall like than Fender like.

The BOSS Nextone Series which are about twice the price have the ability to reproduce both US flavored voicing as well as British VOX and Marshall type voicings and have some incredibly versatile deep editing features.

The even higher priced Roland Blues Cube Series are the pure Fender Tweed Era like flavored amps renowned for their crystalline cleans and as powerful pedal platforms. These are my favorite BOSS/Roland amps.

16. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I currently own a Katana 50 and 100. I found it easy to just turn the knobs and dial-in the sounds that I like. But, I'm a Tweed guy, who uses Tape Echo all the time. I rarely use my tube amps anymore, because I have hook-up a Tape Echo, with extra cables and power. After 15 years as a working musician, I would never hook my amp amp up to a computer. I keep things as simple and as fool-proof, as I can.

soulman969 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

What the Dr. said. I have a Katana and an Orange Rocker Terror. I play the Katana every day and rarely use the Rocker.

Spend the extra and get the K100.

Dr Improbable, ajb1965 and soulman969 like this.
  18. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

That's like asking if people like cake :p

I have 2 of them. 100W Combo and 100W Head. I play the combo at home quite a bit and the head occasionally at practice. They are simply great amps and great value for money. If I lost all my amps and effects except my 100W head I'd still be content and could easily cover all the needs of the band and my personal tastes in tone.

I would also highly recommend the GAFC footswitch if you decide to go that route. Very capable addition to the rig.

Baelzebub and Cerb like this.
  19. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have a Katana 50 Mk2. It is great for what I do. Blues at home, praise band at church. The attenuator is great. Haven't had to go above half / 25 watts to be heard. I use my pedal board on the clean channel and the amp does the rest. I did replace the speaker with a WGS Invader 50. Much, much louder now and more personality. To my ears anyway.

ajb1965 and Baelzebub like this.
  20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

+3 on the footswitch...adds a ton of versatility. In addition to switching between banks and patches, it also allows you to turn off individual effects within a patch. So say you have a patch with some distortion, delay and reverb. You can just turn off the distortion and usethe delay and reverb settings without switching to another patch.

ajb1965 and ido1957 like this.