Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to take over the duties currently performed by my trusty and now somewhat long in the tooth Micro Cube.

I've read some good reviews and seen some demos online, but they haven't arrived at the local guitar shop yet. Has anybody actually had the chance to try one yet?

If they are as good as they appear, they are great value for money, only £165 over here (when they get some to sell!)

2. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    I have not tried one, but they seem awesome. The reviews I have seen online have been good, I too cannot wait to try one. I can feel gas already

3. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Yeah, they're not due in until the end of the month, I'm really hoping that it will be as good as the reviews, it has options that the Micro Cube doesn't, but won''t break the bank.

4. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Keep us posted. I'm intrigued. If the anderton's demo wasn't deceptive, I have a new amp. The GAK demo was very promising too.

5. QReuCk

QReuCk Strat-Talker

Apr 17, 2014
    France
    I've got to admit I have very mixed feeling about this amp. Actually, what I have been waiting for from Roland/Boss was more a rework on the orange cube 60, featuring analog half of non-chorused JC120 clean chanel, getting rid of the drive function that isn't convincing and putting a BD2w circuitry instead. That would definitely be an amp I would consider buying even if I don't need another amp.
    That being said, to be completely honnest, I had a chance to test one of the digitalized cubes, and thought the JC tone was nailed by the "JC Clean" chanel (I also have experience with a real JC77). I did not find any tone I liked in the "lead" chanel though. So if the katana does have usable (for me) other chanels/emulations than the JC clean one, and still get that JC sound, it might actually be a very interesting offering.
    Not needing an amp right now though, so I keep checking what others are testing but would not spend time to review them myself.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I called at Rich Tone Music, my local Boss dealer, to ask about the Katana. They said they're looking forward to getting them in, but as yet Roland/Boss haven't given them a date to expect delivery, not even a month. :(

7. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    All the online reviews so far seem to give higher marks to the Boss compared to other new releases.

Just ordered a blem Katana 50 online for $149.

We'll see what their idea of "blem" is for starters.

If it passes I'll report later.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

8. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Ordered on Monday from Zzounds and will be delivered Wednesday.

Not bad for free shipping from NJ to WI.

First time I've dealt with Zzounds which I've read is connected to AMS.

We'll see if they make a new fan.

9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I've had positive experiences with zzounds . They're decent.
    Waiting to hear your thoughts on the katana!

10. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    They pushed delivery to Thursday. Winter weather arrrrgh.

No biggie. I'll wait til this weekend and take it where it can be cranked before giving my thoughts. Going to run a LP, Start and acoustic through it.

Been following owners on another forum and they seem very satisfied.

billybuck and rocknrollrich like this.

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looking forward to your thoughts on the amp!!

D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Me too. Still no sign of them showing up here. I may have to wait until January (or later) to even try one ... :mad: I shall go and harass RichTone again in the next few days.

13. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I just tried one over at a local shop and I was very impressed with it. I still want to try a Blackstar ID:Core 100 before i make a purchase, but I after trying out a Fender Mustang v2, Marshall Code, and a bunch of secondhand tube, hybrid, and SS amps, the Katana is my favourite so far.

That said, the guy over at a shop on the other side of town just called up his Blackstar rep to get a demo unit of Core 100 for me to try out, and he quoted me $100 off, and that includes a two-button footswitch. So unless Blackstar really missed the mark on this one, that might be the amp I end up with.

If the footswitch is important to you, the guy at the shop confirmed that the Katana works with generic footswitches, so you don't have to buy the recommended one from Roland.

EDIT: gettin locations mixed up

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Thrup'ny Bit and wildhawk like this.

14. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    It made it today.

No time tonight to do anything other than turn it on and plug a acoustic in it to make sure everything works. Will
    give it a workout Saturday and report after that.

First thought.

Smallest 1x12 I've seen. Nicely made.
    Worried when I ordered because it was a $149 blemish from Zzounds but came dead mint. The box was the only thing with a blem. Happy customer.

Highs in the 20's and heading for highs in the 10's next week. All the more reason to hibernate and play some guitar. :sneaky:

20161208_184212.jpg 20161208_184045.jpg

15. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    $100 off the Core would be very tempting. Blackstars TVP\ID circuit is very good. Have a ID15 and 30.

Guy on another forum says he's taken his Core 100 out on several gigs and he and others were impressed.

Great time to amp shop.

velvet_man likes this.

16. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Happy new amp day!

Definitely a great time to be amp shopping. So many great amps at really amazing prices right now.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Glad to hear it arrived.

Richtone now have it on their website, pre-order 1 due soon. :eek:

It looks like I'm going to be waiting until at least January ...:mad:

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world

19. Working Man

Working Man Senior Stratmaster

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    It has a power attenuator on it, yes? Kind of strange for a SS amp. How are you liking that as opposed to a regular master volume?
    Also,in the GAK vid I watched ,seemed the amp models leaned heavily towards the heavy rock/ metal side of things. Can it do warm bluesy tones too. HNAD, again!

20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    It has a 0.5,25 and 50W output. Or as Mrs Bit said "ThaT's loud, that's too loud, ENOUGH!!!!

Enough typing have a look see @Working Man :)
    20161213_192124.jpg

jimyjazz, alainvey and Working Man like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.