Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster

Dec 2, 2010
    Sierra Nevada
    Could you save me some time...
    What does Ikea call it.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  2. Yaralag

Yaralag Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2014
    S Korea
    Sorry, I looked and can't find it anymore. The website has a picture of it but it is nowhere to be found in the actual sales portion. It might only be sold in Korea?

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Dont pretend that a Katana is a fractal Axe FX its no were in the same league.

Ive actually played through a Axe Fx so yeah its better than tubes, because it replicates the way tubes behave plus replicates gain structures of well known digitally thanks to its processing power aside from all the Jargon...Ive played alot of the amps the Axe FX simulated JCM 800, Plexis, JCM900s, tweed 5 watt amps, Bassmans, Hiwatts, Oranges, Vox Ac30s, Genz Benzes, Rectos, Twins........ and a whole lot others......

What surprised me was the Marshall JCM800, it actually sounded better than various JCM800s Ive played in person.

-------------A Katana, Roland Cube, Valvetronix are pretty much bulky Iphones hooked up to speakers that cost 200$.....An Axe FX is a 2000$ Super Computer capable of replicating the way electrons pass through a tube......

And guess what I own a Roland Cube a micro, you know the original version of what your amp is based on from Boss.....its pretty much your amp with a few more options and more accurate amp models.So I am not against SS amps its just Im not ganna overhype or pretend that its better than it actually is.

I take it to clubs mike it up and you know it gets the job done.....is it good enough and gets the job done without anyone in the crowd knowing any better, yeah and if thats good enough for you as it is for me then great.....but is it as good as the Blues Deluxe sitting at home.....Hell F'in no as much as I love the 200-300$ modelors for what they do they are awesome but compared to the real thing IMO they arent as good yet and thats not being a dick or a troll or and a'hole thats me being honest.

I feel with all the love and admiration one gets with these Katanas alot of over-hype is given and statements made that are over zealous and well "to good to be true". They work for you and they get the job done awesome but dont say its just as good as the real thing when in honesty they arent in terms of dynamics and sound quality when compared directly to tube counterparts or higher end 2000$ equipment like the AXE FX.

No doubt the amp is probably good and it works for you and I will at least admit hey maybe you like it cuz its a simpler more straightforward platform than other digital amps but its not OMG crazy good where Im going to replace my tube amp I dont even have to play one to know that...... its a 200$ modeler what do you expect. Maybe its could replace my Roland Cube I give you that but I dont think its going to be replacing my tube amps any time soon. Maybe 10 years from now Axe Fx or some other nex Gen company will be able to make there 2000$ stuff more affordable at 200-300$ but I dont see that happening any time soon and I doubt the Katana or anything else at that price range(200-300$) now currently does that.

Maybe I am being to harsh, but for me its nothing new.....its the same old modeling in simpler platform and easier to use for those who dont want to navigate through a pager.....I get it but IMO amps at this price point are not as good in dynamics and sound quality as lets say a 800$ tube amp or a 2000$ AxeFX unit which is nex gen modeling.....

It doesnt take away that for sure you could gig with one with a band proficiently guys but lets not call a Toyota Prius a Lambo Hurricane here guys is all Im saying.....

Other than that enjoy your Katana and love it. Whatever gets you playing and beating some strings is what I say.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Stratoskater and Misfit like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Yaralag

Yaralag Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2014
    S Korea
    Well I never said a Katana was as good as a Fractal, I was just commenting on the fact that Lifeson doesn't use tubes anymore.

6. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    If it sounds good it sounds good.
    Tube, transistor, DSP chips, RISC processors in computing like units, JFETs or whatever.
    If it makes the player happy it is what it is - a great sounding amp.
    Some have to pay more to get their tone some have to pay less to get there.
    It is always good having options.
    These days we have many.
    We have it good in these days.
    Back in the days we had to use what was available - roof blasting tube amps or ****ty sounding transistor amps.

All the best,
    Robin

Stratoskater, Yaralag and The-Kid like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Most Honoured Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Plenty of crappy tube amps too. The choice today is incredible compared to 40 years ago, when a 'practice amp' cost about £40 and was a plastic box with a cardboard back containing a transformer, a transistor radio type amplifier on a two inch square board with solder tracks and a 7" oval car radio speaker. :D

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I totally agree here with you guys as much as I seem to be against the grain.

The amps we have now are the best ever especially at the price point. Just coming in to keep it real.

If you guys love these amps great more power to you, just giving my insight and perspective on them. Im sure they sound great and better than some modelers out there namely the spider 5 and marshall stuff and they get the job done but hey they just dont appeal to me for what they are.

As I said before, whatever gets you picking up the guitrar banging them strings.

IMO Boss/Roland be dominating modeling amps in this price range as far as sound quality and performance go. Whether its the Cube, Mustang or Katana....just find whatever works for you and rock n roll.

Robins and Yaralag like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member

It's important to have a tube amp. I have one in the closet. That way, if anyone gives me grief over the Mustang or the Line6, I can always say, "yeah, my Pro Reverb is just TOO GREAT AND WONDERFUL AN AMP to pull out every time I play."

D

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Most Honoured Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Indeed. My valve amp is almost as old as I am, but in much better condition. :)

Robins and Yaralag like this.
  11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member

My amp is younger than I but we both sound a bit flatulent.

D

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I agree with The Kid's comment about these amps basically being bulky iPhones. This has been my exact experience too.

13. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Fourteen pages of "opinions" is enough, thanks for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.