Boss Katana Mini As 2nd Amp/Tool?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by stevierayfan91, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:19 PM.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, buddies

please wondered do any of you have a Boss Katana Mini as a quieter option ?
    Say for if a solo guitar lick is giving you trouble and you wanna save play wear on your tube amp?

2. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Hello friend. I use a fender champion 20 solid state- digital. It works nice cause I can play it very quiet or plug headphones in and be completely silent and it has aux in so I plug my phone into it and play along with jamtracks on YouTube. I think all the newer small amps have an auxiliary input and boss makes good stuff. And yes I do tons of practice on my cheap amp then when I have it down I play it on my tube amps. :)

Lovnmesomestrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Turn down the volume.:p Play your new amp with a passion. It's going to sound better and better as you get some "play wear" on it. If you take care of it, it should last you a life time, with little maintenance. If you were a touring star, yes you could wear one out over a few years or so. I doubt the speakers and tubes are even "broken in". Can't have your cake and eat it too.:D

4. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @jbylake -Buddy
    i Do love my tube amp .
    Just was curious if a headphones option was good to have too cause sometimes a lead lick will be giving me trouble .

Jesse414 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

My opinion Buddy is use your Dr. Z and save your money. It’s going to be a looooong time before you wear anything out. Play and enjoy!

Andrew Wasson, jbylake and Jesse414 like this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

either that or a blackstar fly 3.
    both are quieter options to practice on and save wear on your tube amp.
    but if youre not playing gigs or rehearsing with a band on a regular basis, its going to take a looooong time before you need new tubes.

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I do the same thing, well sort of. I have 2 Mesa/Boogies in my music room. But only use them when playing with a drummer. Most of the time, when I am playing by myself, I play through an Orange Crush 35RT. It has a 10 inch speaker and reverb, two channels clean and dirty.

I have two of them in my living room. One for me, and one for my friend when she comes to play. The sound very chimey clean, and the distortion sounds like a tube amp. They were $269.00 each, and the optional footswitch was 39 dollars. Oh, and they also have an effects loop. And the headphone jack, when connected, shuts off all sound from the speaker. It has a built in tuner as well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 12:44 AM
  8. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have a Katana Mini. I must profess I do not use it very often. It is nicely portable and has many decent effects, but I'm rarely in need of playing anywhere except my Den of Iniquity, and my Vox VT20X will go quite low in volume.

Tone wise it is okay to me - rather like a really good AM radio in the 70's. Never have tried it with headphones yet as I find them distracting.

Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Don’t worry about harming your Dr. Z. Just play it and enjoy it.

10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Since SWMBO is permanently @ home now (work) my 'free moments' in this current location are very much minimal.

I have taken to using headphones, but the sad reality of that is the noise from playing is "more annoying than the loud amp"

Even just the other day, I was playing the kurzweil with my headphones plugged in and she said the noise from the keys was 'really disturbing and loud'

so - the solution....??? push her off the balcony??

No, just use the amp. Close the door, turn it down a little and don't let it rip while she is in the middle of her back to back conference calls.

REALLY limits my creative outlet. But not to worry. I'm coping, sort of.

Once we have moved back north, things will be very different. I am patient.

11. marksound

marksound Strat-Talker

I have one. It's a cool little amp, and sounds better than its size would suggest.

If you want one, go for it.

Roca81 likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

now that you own a tube amp you should have a spare set of power tubes and a few pre-amp tubes... just like having a spare tire for a car.

i only buy tubes that have been tested to be the best of the batch and tube depot only charges 2 or 3 bux to test them.

i have never purchased an expensive tube and never will, buying the cheaper but tested to be good tubes has always made me super happy.

i have also bought used tubes from reputable sellers who have a tube tester and had the same 100% satisfaction rate.

Andrew Wasson and bluejazzoid like this.
  13. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I have 1
    Gets more playtime than my bigger ones.
    And it's super convenient to take out on the deck or to go on out of town jobs
    The black star mini is pretty good for all the same reasons

15. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

If all you're wanting is a way to use headphones, a Vox Amplug is a decent option. I used one for a few years while staying in hotels.

16. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Baelzebub likes this.
  17. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

I have a Katana Air that I play at night, exclusively through wireless headphones. It's a fantastic tool for practicing and writing. Highly recommended.

JB74, Bob the builder and Bowmap like this.
  18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

TLDR: JUST CHECK OUT THE VID IN MY NEXT POST.

Hey Ben. All the tubeheads clearly know and are advising you correctly to use your tube amp but turn it down.
    But you question reminded me of a thread posted in the last week or so...it was a NAD for a little over $100, I think. Sorry I can't think of the name or find the thread at the moment.

But the post had a video of someone doing a demo and it had a feature which might be perfect for what you're talking about.

It had some basic delay/reverb, but you could plug your phone into the amp, using the provided cable and use an app to pick any one of thousands of songs in many genres and once you selected a tune you could play the riff from it clean on your phone or play it with the effects as played on the recording.

You could then select the song and the amp would give you the exact tone of the original recording. I thought that was kind of neat, particularly for practicing riffs. You don't have to dial in a tone for each riff. Just select a song and the amp dialed the tones in for you.

Not sure I did a very good job explaining but someone will remember what this was. Worth a look.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 8:54 PM
  19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I'm going to stop you right there. There is no such thing as wear on a tube amp unless you are touring. Tube amps wear out two things. Tubes and electrolytic capacitors and if you keep using them, the capacitors last longer. They typically wear out from not being used and drying out.

Tubes are made to be used and to wear out while you do so and again, if you aren't playing at concert levels, they'll last a good long time.

I inherited the tube amps my dad built before I was born. They're for stereo listening and I'm using one in my office right at this moment. Use your tube amp and when you need to in like 10 years, replace the tubes if they need to be replaced.

I do keep spare tubes for mine just in case by fluke I lose a tube while out jamming or something but that hasn't been a problem for the last 18 months (thanks Covid).

Keep playing that awesome amp and enjoy!

Cerb, 3bolt79, JB74 and 2 others like this.