Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You can do that, or if you have installed the drivers you can use the USB interface built into the Katana.

2. Pretzel

Pretzel Strat-Talk Member

May 25, 2017
    Ohio
    By USB interface do you mean the Tone Studio or some other way to record?

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I think you should also be able to record direct into Audacity via the USB interface. Give it a try and let us know if it works............ :thumb:

4. Thrup'ny Bit

You should be able to select Katana Primary as your input device in Audacity. If I were you, I'd download Reaper, It's much easier to use.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Truly, Audacity should have been named Timidity. It's not very audacious.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

I've never found it to be of any use to record a guitar. The latency is beyond audacious.

1980 likes this.

7. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2017
    UK
    I have recorded the Katana 50 with audacity.
    If i used the usb in, i didnt seem to get much signal, so i bought a 1/4 to 3.5 jack cable, using headohone out of the amp into the pc, it works ok for what i need.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Use the system settings in Tone Studio to turn it up. With V2.2 firmware you can set up the speaker sim too. The best thing to do is learn how to use the amp properly.

telebluesman67 likes this.

9. Pretzel

May 25, 2017
    Ohio

10. Thrup'ny Bit

11. Pretzel

May 25, 2017
    Ohio
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Wohoooo................ got my Katana 100 combo back today from Roland repair. Total turnaround time was exactly 14 days. That's pretty darned good! Cost me $30 USD to ship it to them so "I've got that going for me". :rolleyes:

The power supply transformer was replaced. FWIW, the amp seems to be a LOT quieter now so maybe the transformer was doing a slow swan song. ??? Anyway, kudos to Boss/Roland for repairing the amp quickly.

*** In January (record storm season) we had a half dozen power outages so maybe the amp got an over voltage kick. ??? Anyway, I'm now running the amp from a filtered AC source. :whistling:

For the past 2 weeks I've been using my 'old' Mustang III and digging the snappy clean tones. I'll try to do a shootout between the Mustang and the Katana.

SSJR and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Well that's great news, I wasn't expecting it to come back so quickly. It is of course now necessary to undertake (simulated) destruction testing... :p

johnnymg likes this.

14. lperry65

lperry65 New Member!

Dec 3, 2017
    UK
    Picked up the KTN 100 112 last weekend but didn't get chance to play until today. So I've heard great things about these amps and have played them in my local shop here in the UK, I tried the 50, 100 combo's and head ( Like the head ) but wanted a combo that was light and easy for band practice. saw the blurb (55+ pedals with 15 on board at any one time) and they sound decent enough in the shop.

So I decided on the 112 as it's a good compromise volume/size/weight etc and finally got round trying it out at home today, to be honest I'm having some problems with it, but I'm trying to be realistic as this is by far the cheapest amp I have (all my others are valve with no effects except some have reverb) so I know this is a different beast. I'm not unhappy with the sound, not a big fan of the brown or lead sound so far but I like the clean, and the crunch seems decent.

So the first problem is that the clean volume is a lot lower than the crunch (This is all on the panel mode, I'm not interested in the channels and patches unless I have to). So if I get the foot switch, changing between the clean and crunch will not work well with such a volume drop, I know some valve amps do this (which also bugs me) but they have separate volumes. I don't really understand why this has to be the case on a SS amp ?

Then when I started looking at the fx, I realised that I cant have a blues driver, chorus and delay without loosing the reverb, think "Run To You" (Brian Adams). Even if I started looking at creating patches and saving to a channel I'm still limited to two fx per patch 'I'm not loosing reverb!'. Yes I can use the FX Loop but one of the reasons for getting this was so I can leave my pedal board etc at home and have a light weight rehearsal amp.

I've seen some posts where people are saying they gig with these but I cant see how unless they just use it as a pedal platform.

So I know it's my own fault, I should have done more research before bringing one home. But I really don't think two fx + reverb is enough, and the volume difference between the Clean and Crunch is not usable for anything other than playing at home.

So do I have it wrong, have I missed a menu in the tone studio. Is my amp faulty ? or is this the way it is and I cant use it for anything other than playing around at home !

thanks,

Lee.

15. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Hi Lee

Welcome to the Katana club.

The Clean channel needs to have a 'clean boost' effect added so the volume matches the other tones. I personally think this is a SW bug but it is fixable using the clean boost effect.

I love love my Katana............ but it does take some tweaking with the SW.

lperry65 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Turn the master up and then balance your channels using the volume knob. More effects can be selected using the third party Katana FxFloorboard software. You can put the effects in any order you want.

pedalboard.png

My KTN50 did just fine keeping up with the full band on 25W.

lperry65 and johnnymg like this.

17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Ok:
    Katana peeples
    Done a gigette today with the head sans cab...
    Woulda preferred a more, uh different sound...
    So here goes..
    Can I connect to to mr. Laptop...
    Define tone(s)
    Save it to one of the 4 stations...
    And
    It'll persist after disconnecting
    Is that close ?
    Till I change...
    And
    That definition and parameters will also be saved as say for instance I name it "Bob"
    Or
    ????

18. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Yes, that's how it works.

You can also save tone files to the computer.

19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Can those little nuggets be passed around?

20. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Absolutely.

Detailes (slightly tongue tied English) on pages 5-7:
    https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

"Ways to use an exported liveset:
    Use a USB fash drive to copy the liveset to a diferent computer. Send the liveset via email to another KATANA user."