Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

The Lead Channel is now my new favorite channel on this thing.

For the Gilmour fans.

I dialed this in without the stupid computer. The only thing I used it for was to add the rotary for those famous four notes section and to export.

Let me know what you think.

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=Katana&ID=12077

Short audio sample. Be gentle. I nabbed it with my phone with no backing track quick before my 5 year old started banging on the drum kit again. He was gracious enough to stop for 30 seconds but you can hear him anxious to start playing again so I could only squeeze this out fast.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. Chont

So... I upgraded my firmware back to v4 and low and behold... my GAFC switching problem came back LOL

ugh.... just thought I'd throw that out there.

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'll have to go back and read your description of the problem and then put my GAFC on the MKI and see if I can duplicate it. Might have been it was there all along and I never noticed...that would be about par for the course....

4. Chont

Sometimes when I power on the amp the GAFC will indicate it’s on the channel it was on when I turned it off but tone is what panel is set to. Switch to another channel and back and it sounds the way it should

5. Chont

On a side note I found the hiss culprit. My damn pedalboard. I haven’t gotten a proper power supply so my hope is that it’s the daisy chain and not a he cabling. It’s all new Lava Tightrope so probably is the daisy chain PSU

johnnymg likes this.
  6. Chont

Yep... its a firmware bug. They replied about a week ago that the repair service was open so I could send my amp in if i wanted. I replied back that i didn't feel the need to send it for repair since I back revved it to version 3 and it fixed so seemed to be specific to version 4. Got this reply on Friday.

Its kind of a shame that they don't seem to be interested in fixing it with a firmware update for the Mk1 series but maybe they will at some point.

upload_2020-9-12_11-4-47.png

Bowmap likes this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Sorry to be so late on testing this out, but I tried it several different ways, although not all the configurations of different amp types, (do you notice that it has a different effect depending on amp selection, or is it across the board?), and I couldn't duplicate it. It always fired up on the last settings I used, indicating to me that it's only a problem with some the firmware and how it handles 4?
    Seriously weird and they probably don't/won't bother with a fix because MKI is discontinued as they pointed out, and because there are not enough MKI's affected by it.

8. Chont

It only seems to do it if my GAFC is plugged in

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Okay...I'll try it. I moved mine to the MKII when I got it.

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Weird...I can't duplicate it. Plugged in the GAFC and it always comes back to the last preset used. I'm stumped, unless it only affects some and not all. Mine's a 100. Maybe that's why?

11. Chont

I have a 100 as well. It’s not every time so I don’t know if there’s something specific that triggers it. But there were other users on the Facebook user group I’m in that confirmed it as well. It’s not a huge deal. At least I got confirmation from Boss that I’m not crazy LOL.

12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Sometimes knowing you're not is enough.
    Stuff that doesn't make sense bugs me, but I've learned that that is part of the whole solid state thing. Because computers are essentially modeled on the human brain, sometimes they just don't make sense. Maybe you got a female one....:whistling:

Chont likes this.
  13. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Hmmmm.....

Chont and johnnymg like this.
  14. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Heya,
    I’ve never used the Tone Studio before. I have an iPad and a Katana 50 mk1. Can I upload patches to the amp? Can I adjust the stuff?

15. Bowmap

I assume BTS on a MAC is about the same as it is on Windows. I have Windows. But that is part of the fun of BTS. I am connected to my amp via USB. I can use Tone Studio as if my hands are on the amp and more... so much more. You can save presets in groups called LiveSets. You can drag and drop settings you have saved in your LiveSet right onto a channel to set that channel to that preset. You can play around with the settings in real time. Once you like what you have you can then write it out to the channel and/or save it into a LiveSet.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

When you're done editing, remember to hit SAVE.

Just sayin'... :whistling:

Bowmap likes this.
  17. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Has anyone here done this an iPad?

Bowmap likes this.
  18. Bowmap

Sorry @BuffaloHound the iPad thing did not register when I first read through quickly.

iPad iPad

19. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Has anyone put a Texas Heat speaker in a Boss Katana 100 (MkI)? If yes was there any significant difference in sound quality and will it fit the cabinet? I'm ok with the stock speaker but curious if a swap is worth it.

20. kennyw

kennyw New Member!

Hello Kataneers,
    Hoping someone on here can help me out, I finally decided to update my 100 MK1 to Version 4.0
    when I push the panel button when required, all three of the effects lights blink quick which indicates an update failure,
    needless to say i have attempted this many times with the same result.
    I also updated the tone studio and it will not connect and prompts to update the amp,
    cant find anything on line to solve this.
    thanks in advance.
    Katana Ken