Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

You powered it on while holding both the channel 1 and the panel buttons?

these are the steps to take.

https://www.boss.info/global/suppor...drivers/dd6f99a6-4a76-4138-8fbf-52179d3c224d/

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Most people that have experimented finished up putting the stock speaker back in.

JB74, thomquietwolf and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I'll leave it as is. I did replace a 70/80 with a V30 once and the sound improvement was noticeable. They say the stock Katana is "designed specifically" for it.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

Just picked up an eminence Texas heat speaker for my katana 100. Can’t wait to see how it sounds.

5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Be sure to post the results. I have a spare and I'd be interested to try a different speaker in it.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Just reading a few clips
    Came across the Texas Heat speaker items
    I
    Look up Texas Heat speaker...
    Thought balloon appears over my head
    (How would one wedge A 12" speaker in a 5" space)
    Then reality
    Annoying reality
    Sets in...
    Us 100 head guys are probably A minority
    Uh Oh
    Bazinga on I'm

Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Kingmarc1982

Will do. It gets here Friday and I’ll crank it through the sounds

8. Kingmarc1982

Just put an eminence Texas heat speaker into my katana mk2 100. I love it so far. A worth while upgrade and now the amp sounds how I hoped it would when I bought it. Warm. Also that katana speaker is for sale and basically new if anyone wants it. Pm me

Attached Files:

9. Kingmarc1982

Give it a go. I like it a lot

Baelzebub likes this.
  10. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack

I hopped on the Katana bandwagon with a MKII 50 a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it.

11. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Poetic

12. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Strat-Talker

I just bought the Katana MkII 100w 2x12 and it came this morning. I confess I panicked a bit when I first tried it as the clean channel was WAY quieter than the others. Foolishly, I Googled 'the problem' before reading the manual, and found a lot of people on forums moaning about this with some even getting rid of their amp because of it. After I read the, albeit very brief, manual I found of course that I simply had to change the sounds stored on the settings buttons. So far I'm very pleased with the sounds, even though my primary reason for buying it was because I'm getting on in years and my Marshall TSL601 combo seems twice as heavy as it used to be. :( The Katana, even though it has 2 12" speakers compared to the Marshall, weighs a third less, 20 kilos against 29k.

dscottyg, Bowmap, Baelzebub and 2 others like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I hadn't heard of, or experienced, that issue before. (I have a couple MKII 100's 1x12's) . Did you find that to be the case when just using the panel settings?

In other words with the panel settings completely clean all with the same EQ, if you switched from the clean through to brown, the difference in volume was a lot less? I mean, I would expect some volume boost from the higher gain amp settings, crunch, lead, brown, etc...but maybe I just hadn't noticed how large the difference was?

If that was the case, what changes in the software changed the issue for you.

Congrats, btw...you got a great amp. If you didn't get the GAFC with it, consider one. It really opens up the options for switching, or altering preset tones, on the fly.

Bowmap and SkylineUK like this.
  14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Great read, thanks. I have the Sneaky Amps liveset but the detailed instructions on editing them for use within my own patches using the
    TS is very helpful, as is the section on working with the Custom in Floorboard.

I note the doc is from 2017, so a lot of the things he says are in development/testing have actually come to be.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

If a time comes when you find it limiting in some way, consider an upgrade to the 100, either MK1 or MK2, and you'll find a lot more to play with.

Aside from the addition of an effects loop, (if you have some favorite pedals), there are twice the presets, and, in the case of the MK2, variations on the available amp setting which sort of double those as well. (just sort of because they are just variations of the existing ones).

But IMO the real benefit of the upgrade comes with the addition, (purchased separately for another $129 new), of the GAFC foot switch which allows you to do all the normal switching between patches and banks, but also allows you to turn off/on the separate effects within a preset patch. Infinite possibilities........

Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  16. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

cool!!!

I had the same complaint with the clean channel. I went into BTS and added the Natural OD stomp to goose it without altering the tone. Really works well. I don't recall what I set it to but probably gain around 8-9:00 and volume to taste.

Enjoy and congrats.

Should be on this group of patches. I compared it with the clean channel on my superchamp X2 and its pretty close in tone and feel. But that's all subjective.

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=katana&ID=12418

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    SkylineUK and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  17. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I bought an MK1 a few weeks ago. Use it as my office amp. My MK2 is still going strong. It (mk1)sounds really good. Got it for 120 bucks. The Fx/booster/mod/delay controls are counterintuitive and just plain dumb, compared to the MK2.. but still a great purchase.

Chont likes this.
  18. Kingmarc1982

I use the custom floor board more than bts and find it more intuitive and comprehensive. Bts should take notes and copy this

Chont likes this.
  19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

As do I. Only issue for me it the limitations the hardware places on what you can save from FB. But as a practical matter it's a small issue since I've never had much success crafting a tone using more effects than the hardware can handle.

And I agree completely about the interface....much nicer and more intuitive and easier to work with. And the ability to export patches to a text file is pretty handy.