Bought HX Stomp Pedal

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by artgtr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

Just picked up the HX Stomp a few weeks ago, trying to get use to it. The plan is to eventually get it filled with all the sounds for the songs I do. I’m not a big effects guy, I have a couple stomp boxes & wireless unit on a small board. A couple of the sounds on the Stomp are great & I plan to make others much better. It all takes time, I did try to download a few free patches for it. Not working out great, need to learn more about downloading patches & load the on to unit. just yesterday I also bought a Line 6 Powercab 112 to replicate the exact sounds I hear in the headphones. I had a lot of reward points @ MF - worked out well.
    I do have some awesome amps & pedals, we will see how this compares.

Nick-O and Boognish like this.
  2. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Ahh Yes Patches and Presets are really Guidelines sort of templates if you will, dialing in a tone on Modelling gear is a bit tricky and yes its a steep learning curve as there are limitless options but once you grasp that it because a lot more easy

Might i suggest Jason Sadites he has a whole range of course that explain what all the parameters are and what they do and how to use them Its a very Long series but well worth the time invested

Best to start with part 1

Boognish, Lovnmesomestrat and artgtr like this.
  3. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Let us know how you feel about the Powercab .
    I’m interested in your opinion since I will probably be going down the frfr road at some point.

Stonetone likes this.
  4. artgtr

My initial thoughts on it : It’s larger than I expected, same size as most 1-12” amps. The back corners are rounded, feels like a quality unit. Have not been able to really play through it yet. Does not come with a cover. Bought one for under $80. Shipped. Shipping was fast & double boxed. Family home due to pandemic, wife running her business from home - 7 days a week. So I have to be quiet. I do go to Band Practice - once I have everything dialed in I will use it @ practice, but not until I know it well with atleast 8 good sounds. That would get me through a practice.

duzie likes this.
  5. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for the update.
    The Jim Decker Band , funny the town I live in used to be called Deckertown :)

6. artgtr

Thanks - the Jim Decker Band is my retirement fun, after all those years working. I finally retired @ 58 & now soon 65.
    I’ll keep updated on the Line 6 Powercab. My plan is to be able to use the HX Stomp & the Powercab with my guitar, that would be it. I hope!

duzie likes this.
  7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I couldn't have said it better myself! Definitely a steep learning curve but once you get it your golden.

I've had mine for about a year and that's pretty much all I play through now. I love it!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    Stonetone likes this.
  8. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Ohh and 3.0 firmware and software Got released yesterday awesome Update

Nick-O and Boognish like this.
  9. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! Have fun!

10. artgtr

Well finally plugged in - ran the set up which is: HX Stomp direct into Powercab. The patches all seemed like they would require tweaking. Set the Stomp to line level out on global setting. No settings on Powercab other than like 6 speaker settings. Tilted the legs back. Ok, the volume I was able to get was underwhelming, feels about equal to like a 15 watt amp - I was really expecting it to be like loud, with the Stomp at full output knob volume on unit. The Powercab was at full volume. As it is - I couldn’t play in a Bar Band setting with this unit as it is now. Am I doing something wrong? MY Mesa Rectoverb 10/25 amp @ 10 watts would blow this away. OK thoughts.

11. artgtr

Well I guess - you use others pedals along with the Stomp to boost your signal, even on small boards - Clean Boost/ Graphic EQ drive/ Overdrive pedal / all before the stomp & power supply all this runs roughly $1K+/-. I already have the Mono board. I’m not doing anything for a while - I will do a lot of investigation. Additional thoughts welcome.
    ** Well after messing with the Stomp - in global settings - the volume knob can control just the headphones or the headphones & the main output. I just set that global setting to control headphone & output level. OK - I’m learning.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:03 PM
  12. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

If you're talking about the volume you need to go to the last circle all the way to the right and turn the gain up, or go to the amp block and make sure that on the second or third page the master volume and the channel volume are turned up.

13. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

You shouldn't need to boost the volume with anything else. I'm not using a powercab, but I am using a powered speaker (Headrush). With the output gain set to 0 (for some reason a lot of the patches have them set at like -4db) and the master volume on the amp block and channel volume on the amp block turned up its loud. Like uncomfortably loud with the powered speaker volume on 2.

artgtr likes this.
  14. artgtr

I went on Line6.com - market place & purchased an 8 pre-set pkg. for $30. - I than tried to install it, it stated I wasn’t authorized to install it without permission or key or something. So, waiting to see when payment clears, & maybe than I will get some kind of e mail or ? Letting me know I can do the install. I guess, not sure how it works, but I will find out.
    I need to spend more time learning about snap shots & presets, before I become comfortable enough to start using @ band practice.

Nick-O likes this.
  15. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

The 3.0 update is great...wow. I have had this thing for a few years and Helix before that, but the extra 2 blocks is a gamechanger.
    OP, this YT has a couple of interesting "tricks" in it. The global EQ settings took my presets to 11! Hope you get some kicks out of it.
    For the install, plug your computer into the Helix with the Helix edit on, you will see at the bottom of the screen you have an update available. Follow the instructions, do the back up and it will be done in a few minutes.
    Here's Rhett's flick: