Brand new Strat delivered with fault

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Scottypro, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Scottypro

Scottypro Strat-Talk Member

OK
    so my new Strat arrived today from GuitarGuitar and upon opening it up it looks amazing in the Metallic Ice Blue. But, after careful inspection I have found a blemish in the finish, it is on the face, top horn about halfway down. It looks like a chip in the paintwork but it is under the lacquer finish coat as there is no feeling when I run my nail over it.

Now I am a bit OCD with all my gear and it will probably bug me if I keep it. What do you think, is it something that I should complain about to the store (I bought it online) or just return it for a refund, although there is no more left in stock.

I have attached an image of the mark, am I being too picky ??? damage.jpg

2. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Think of all the starving kids and just play the damn thing!

Seriously, I once received a new guitar with a tiny scratch on the finish. I sent the seller a picture and I got a discount. A few days later I couldn’t even see the scratch.

3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Scottypro
    I think since NOT a relic model, that ding would bother me a lot.

4. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

Since they have no more in stock and with the short supply and backorders on new guitars if they offered me a small discount I would be fine.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Ring them see if they’ll give you a discount. If they do, great, just play it. If they don’t, tell them you’re not happy and just play it.

If the worst thing that ever happens to you this year then count your blessings.

Mr_10awg, Doc538, kingmlg and 17 others like this.
  6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Based on that image I'd say it's very very small.

I'd therefore probably do what I did with my classic series 70s when I bought it last year .... the last of that line in natural Ash with the new Vinteras already in store so bought with a very reasonable discount already. On close inspection there is a line in the finish on the headstock in certain lights. 99% of the time it's invisible but it is there when looked for diligently.

The rest of the guitar ... perfect, so I knew I wanted to keep it. I sent an image of the 'line' to the retailer asking their view and their response made my purchase even sweeter financially. Considering I've not really noticed it since and the guitar still plays as it does I'm very happy.

It's not so much a fault as a distinguishing feature now in my mind and there is always pleasure in getting what you consider a really really good deal.

fos1 and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Metallic colors Will show any little imperfection to any of the prep layers under it. The clear coat above it it perfect so I really wouldn't be worried about it. Think of it as a personalized identefier that if it gets stolen then you could pick it out in a lineup since you have a picture of it. It will be yours and only yours.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Mr_10awg, Bowmap, Doc538 and 20 others like this.
  8. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

What will happen if you play it, put it on a stand or even worse bump into your amp with it? That little mark almost looks like have it under a microscope x10.

I get it, it’s new and a defect but damn that is some serious OCD

9. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

No harm in calling the vendor, express your displeasure and see if they are willing to give you a partial credit in lieu of returning it. Talk to the boss if you have to, because sales reps may not have the negotiating power.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-O-Master

Let's be honest, you playing the thing is going to damage it more than the factory did.

At least you don't have to worry about the first scratch/ding. You've already got it.

So now that you've been properly introduced, play it and enjoy it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

Well, since the OP says he's OCD, I say return it, since it will drive him absolutely stark-raving bonkers, even if he were to "get a discount" from the seller and keep it, since that little blemish will just poke at him mentally until it's all he sees about that guitar.

Not saying this should be the standard procedure, but this is an issue the OP has to deal with himself, and why keep something around that's just going to stress him out?

Then again, I go for used stuff since I'm over my need for shiny new sparklies, so I expect blemishes and stuff I may need to fix (because that feeds into my hobby as a tinkerer) so yeah, I'd do the discount thing (as would others). But I don't gots the OCD (lived with someone who did. Drove me more bonkers than it probably did her).

Fuzzfinger and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. Scottypro

Thanks for all the replies and the thoughts on the "ding" yes I am OCD, you should see me when I am cleaning the car or should I say "detailing" the car.

This will be my first guitar, I am not a seasoned player like some of you, just a total newbie/learner and I have paid good money for it so I was expecting no faults, especially in the paintwork.

I will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say, if it is just a case of a simple return and they offer an alternative model, I could be swayed, problem is I really like the colour and it feels great in the hands especially the semi rounded neck joint.

Has anyone had dealings with GuitarGuitar in the UK, are they good bad or indifferent with customer service ??

Fuzzfinger and abnormaltoy like this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

A replacement may show up and be worse than that small blemish. I understand you want and expect a perfect guitar. Me I would contact the seller about it and accept a discount if offered. Then I'd play the heck out of it either way.

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

Bottom line, you are not happy with it. If it bugs you now, it will bug you in a year. Send it back.

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

as much as new Strats cost, I wouldn't be afraid to make a fuss about any problem.

16. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

That's nothing. Metal flake is a hard finish to get perfect, and you said it was under the clear coat.

If your OCD can't handle it send it back...or better yet send it to me for proper disposal.:sneaky:

17. Scottypro

Just had a online chat with them, customer service are going to ring me tomorrow about the problem, seems that this is not uncommon with the type of finish I choose. For £780 I would expect a better product.

Stratafied, Cali Dude and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

what mark?

CAR63, Oldboy, ratdoc and 15 others like this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Yes, to the point of being silly.

We're all different though. If it bothers you, send it back.

CAR63, Oldboy, Strat-Slinger and 9 others like this.
  20. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I've learned in recent enough times, that people are right when they say things like 'if it plays good, keep it', – I'm telling you, it's 100% true – they're right, and the one that replaces it – might be 100% free of blemishes, but it might just not be as nice to play, and that is 100% the most important factor, I've also come to learn. In fact, the way the universe works is – it probably, in all likelihood – will be POSITIVELY not as nice to play.

Essentially – what once I had only read, anecdotally – and passively, I now believe to be absolute gospel... – therefor it is my duty now to preach it as the truth!! Now... I didn't return mine, it was in perfect condition... I sold it – to buy the exact same model, but it a different colour – so... a little bit different, but it's more or less the same principle / conundrum – and it was only when I played the second one, that I realised just how good the first one was. I would honestly say – if you think you can deal with it, and learn to accept it – keep it!

Good luck with whatever you decide – it's all learning anyway, it's all about the journey as they say! – so... no matter which way you go here – it'll not be the end of the world :) !