Join Strat-Talk Today

Break In Speaker via Stereo Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Rounder44, Sep 28, 2019.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Minutiae. Yes "audiophiles" excel at that. I never met an engineer who talked about speaker break-in. Joe Gastwirt, Bernie Becker, George Massenburg, Chris Lord-Alge, Bill Putnam, Bill Drescher...never heard them say a word about it. ;)

rocknrollrich and Triple Jim like this.
  2. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Now that audiophiles have all but disappeared, it seems like the only people breaking in speakers and measuring the difference are the car audio subwoofer guys.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I don't know... the companies that try to sell ridiculous audiophile products like multi-thoustand dollar speaker cables always say that to fully appreciate their ultimate hoax stuff you have to break it in. Yes... breaking in things like speaker cables!

4. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Let's not forget the device that attaches to your acoustic guitar and vibrates. It's causing the microscopic wood grain fibers to align, giving the customer the sound of a vintage solid top acoustic guitar.

Yawn.

5. fezz parka

A guitar speaker needs to be able to reproduce E2. 82.41Hz.

They do this out of the box. But to balance with the frequencies above that you need cone movement to project it. Heavily doped surrounds take longer to get moving...same with thick stiff spiders. On an amp with T-M-B tone stacks, you can compensate for it until your speaker gets loose. Just goose the bass. After about 20 hours of playing, it should loosen up, then you can back the bass off a bit.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Remember the cow magnets on gasoline line hoax to pre-ionize or somehow change the molecules of the fuel for better power and fuel economy? Or the Brown's gas generators? It's not the hoaxters' fault, it's the people who pay them to perpetuate the hoaxes. And if no one gave any money to phone solicitors, they'd all quit calling in a very short time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If I follow, you want to use an Aux input (like the one on my Roland Cube) while running music CD or Radio through an amp to sound in a newish speaker?

Yeah, it’s the fastest way to do that.

I got the idea from a BillM post- the guy that created all those B Jr. mods.

8. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

You obviously don't care too much for your sound (or the audience) if you're prepared to play a couple of gigs with possibly horrible beaming upper mids and obnoxious treble. Some of the speaker I have played with (alnicos are a great example) are quite hideous until they have had quite a bit of play.
    Maybe you're more on the 'amateur' end of the gigging spectrum though.
    I think most pros would make sure everything was right before getting it to the gig.

9. fezz parka

I've been a pro for 40 years.

This is me playing with the late Jimmy Wilsey ( the guy who played with Chris Isaak).

The speakers in Jimmy's Twin Reverb were brand new. Installed that afternoon. By me.

Ask @Nate D how I sound in person. ;)

I've read various bits of internet hogwash about 100 hours or 50 hours are needed to break them in. That's ridiculous.

They do loosen up. But if they don't sound good out of the box, then why bother? I've found that the Recoton Jensens are just ratty sounding speakers. No amount of break-in will improve on them.

Speakers out of the box that sound great are the sadly discontinued Eminence Red Fang, the Celestion Blue and Gold, and the Eminence Swamp Thang. Do they loosen up with a few hours on them? Sure. But they are usable/good/great sounding right out of the box. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    circles and Cerb like this.
  10. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Man! I have been missing out with the break in thing.

fezz parka likes this.
  11. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

If "breaking in" a speaker is absolutely necessary for the speaker to sound good, me thinks you bought a bad speaker.

fezz parka likes this.
  12. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I've broken in two speakers. The difference between before and after was less than dramatic.

fezz parka likes this.
  13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I should start a service where I break in speakers for people. $100 apiece.

fezz parka and Cerb like this.
  14. Cerb

I think Celestion only charges $20.

vid1900 and circles like this.
  15. vid1900

Depends on how long it's been in the box (weeks, years?) and what it's doped with.

Some subs can produce 1.5db more output with 40 hour break in, so that is a substantial difference.

Cerb likes this.
  16. vid1900

Even funnier is when audio cables have directional arrows stamped into them so you hook them up in the proper direction.

I'm always like "Ummmm, you know the signal this is carrying is AC right......?"

Triple Jim likes this.
  17. Cerb

Isn't 1 dB somewhere around 7% increase in perceived loudness? 3 dB is somewhere below 30% I think. Not sure I'd say that 1.5 is substantial although it's of course both subjective and relative.

Triple Jim likes this.
  18. vid1900

In a sub-battle, getting 1.5 db more out of your box is major.

If it took 100w of power to give you 100db output, you would need 126w to give you 101db output

... and 200w if you wanted 103db of output

Figure a 1.26 conversion factor (or for easy math: just doubling your power for each 3db of extra output you require)

Cerb likes this.
  19. Cerb

So relative then :) I doubt I could even hear 1.5dB added to a frequency in a mix.

Triple Jim likes this.
  20. vid1900

You can hear a single decibel difference (that's kinda how they came up with the decibel in the first place).

If you asked someone to turn a knob so a sound sounded "twice as loud", they would turn it up +10db

So using our above 100w speaker example:

If we turned a 100w, 100db speaker up to be perceived as "twice as loud", we would need 1000w watts of power to give us that 110db output

Cerb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.