Breaking high E with Gotoh vintage locking tuners

Arrested Dev

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
I have an Xotic XSC-2 that has what seem to be pretty cool Gotoh vintage staggered locking tuners. They work well, are not hard to string, and hold tune. BUT, I've just broken my high E doing about a 1 1/2 bend at the 15th fret - second time this has happened in the last month or so. Maybe I should not be too surprised since the locking tuner is clamping down on the string, but I think that's how it's supposed to work. Suppose I can "try" to not over-tighten, but I have not had this problem with PRS locking tuners which also seem to clamp down on strings after poked through the post.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thx.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have an Xotic XSC-2 that has what seem to be pretty cool Gotoh vintage staggered locking tuners. They work well, are not hard to string, and hold tune. BUT, I've just broken my high E doing about a 1 1/2 bend at the 15th fret - second time this has happened in the last month or so. Maybe I should not be too surprised since the locking tuner is clamping down on the string, but I think that's how it's supposed to work. Suppose I can "try" to not over-tighten, but I have not had this problem with PRS locking tuners which also seem to clamp down on strings after poked through the post.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thx.

Is it at the locking mechanism point? If so....could be a burr there .....causing more stress on one part of the string than the rest.....

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Did the string break in the same place both times? If so you know where your burr is. A little file should take care of it.
I have locking tuners on everything and crank em down pretty good. Never had a string break at the peg.

Arrested Dev

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
Is it at the locking mechanism point? If so....could be a burr there .....causing more stress on one part of the string than the rest.....

Give the string a little wind around the post,
Dont pull string tight and lock.
Give it som travel about half or 3 quarter around the post.
No need to over tighten the wheels.

Did the string break in the same place both times? If so you know where your burr is. A little file should take care of it.
I have locking tuners on everything and crank em down pretty good. Never had a string break at the peg.
Yes, broke at same spot in same way both times. I don't have files for this type of thing (yet), so I guess this time I'm going to really try to NOT over-tighten plus make sure I give enough winding around the post. Thanks all.

Arrested Dev

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
Thought you all might be interested to see the response I got back from Xotic:

GmUjjBp73wgq_u7DkZtsVgjkdanNKmBcWnUvrlAJTgYh1BRF9gJpuP6SBBWMPx-irPMkPylpkEEyJO3jUAOA7ZMqOGCU_LWKcBaLTlo3kIALqYgFYKXr_sR8SOEjiw=s0-d-e1-ft
Xotic Support (Xotic)
Jul 6, 2022, 15:47 PDT
Hi Keith, #1 - try giving 1/8 inch of slack when putting on the new string - it will wrap just slightly around the post.

If that doesn't work #2 then there might be a sharp edge on the tuner post - take off the top cap and take a very fine rat tail
file and go over the post.