Breaking in Speakers?

jbylake

Fabulously Famous Nobody
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Nov 25, 2019
Currently MIA
Is there an easy, safe way to break in your amps speakers besides playing it until your hands revolt and sprain themselves.

I was able to google a couple of things, but when I read where one fellow takes a 1" brush and lightly coats them with water so they'll stretch and breath. Sounded a little dubious, so I quickly flushed that idea.

So I came here.

Thanks ahead,
J.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I was told to just crank the bass and play power chords if you want speakers to break in faster. True or not, I don’t know. Just playing the amp the speakers will break in naturally.

jbylake

Fabulously Famous Nobody
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Nov 25, 2019
Currently MIA
I just play. When I pick a speaker it has to b good right off the bat otherwise why do it?

Interesting, on on the fence theory. "I have about 4 cabs to "break" in plus 2 extension cabs, so "just playing it could take a while. However I did like them when I but sought them, like you mentioned, so logic would dictate they may get better, or not.:D

Hal Nico

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2012
JAMOADR
I an old trick was to face the speakers to the ground and leave some music playing through them at a low to medium level for an hour or two taking care not to damage the input socket/plugged in device.

HTH :)

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
Here's how to break in a speaker with AC voltage like from a wall wart, or veriac.

This is the formula.
1) wattage of the speaker divided by 3.

2) times speaker impeadance .

3) square root of that.

This the voltage to apply to the speaker.

For instance a 50 watt 8 ohm driver would get 11.50 volts applied to it for like 3 to 4 hours, a 16 ohm driver of the same wattage would get 23 volts applied to it, a 30 watt 8 ohm driver would get 9 volts.

If you can only get 9 volts into a 30 watt speaker then run it for 6 hours.

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
Here's how to break in a speaker with AC voltage like from a wall wart, or veriac.

This is the formula.
1) wattage of the speaker divided by 3.

2) times speaker impeadance .

3) square root of that.

This the voltage to apply to the speaker.

For instance a 50 watt 8 ohm driver would get 11.50 volts applied to it for like 3 to 4 hours, a 16 ohm driver of the same wattage would get 23 volts applied to it, a 30 watt 8 ohm driver would get 9 volts.

If you can only get 9 volts into a 30 watt speaker then run it for 6 hours.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
A typical guitar amp speaker has an impedance and wattage rating similar to a hifi speaker. You can ply your hifi through guitar speaker cabinets, and although I wouldn't recommend playing your guitar through hifi speakers, it can be done. I certainly wouldn't try playing a guitar through a hifi amp, however, as the input voltages will almost certainly be wrong.

So. You have a 4, 8 or 16 ohm guitar speaker.

Hook the guitar speaker up to your stereo, turn the volume up to a comfortable, doesn't annoy the neighbors, volume, and leave it playing for 12-24 hours.

Job done.

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
What I posted is perfectly save to do if the Spl level of the 60hz tone does not annoy people!
I put amps in my basement closet to do this, but if you live in a apartment it may not work if you have a speaker of over 30 watts if you don't want to get evicted.

93-Strat

Strat-O-Master
Aug 29, 2016
Jeffersonville, OH
I use a 6.3v filament transformer. Only useful of course if you are comfortable working with electric. The more common thing you could do is play music through the amp at about loud conversation level.