Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Breaking my high E once a week.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Eardoc, Sep 14, 2017.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Ahhhh.................. that's either due to LOTS of heavy bends and/or a slightly rough fret.

FWIW, I've been practicing high-E bends recently and broke two 9 gauge stings in 2 days. Reluctantly switched to a new set of 10's. :(

Edit: How low is the action on the high-E? The reason I ask is that if the action is VERY low you may be applying a lot of downward pressure on the string which can exacerbate string breaks. Higher action is much easier on strings when it comes to big bends.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

2. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    It better be tone wood ;)

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Strat-O-Master

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    If you break a string once a week, only play six days in a row.
    Problem solved.

4. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Try down tuning if you can. Tune 1/2 step lower, play 1 fret higher. This will result in less string tension and potentially save your strings from breaking in the middle.

Or try 8’s instead! The natural reaction when breaking a string is to go with a larger one - but that just adds more string tension to get it to the same pitch. Going to a lighter gauge actually reduces string tension and allows for bigger bends. Lots of famous musicians have used 8’s and gotten fat tone as well.

Davey77 likes this.

5. pumpkin

pumpkin Strat-Talk Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Richmond VA
    ...agreed.... if the string breaks at or near the 14th fret and it's the treble E.... the problem is repeating at the same place on the same string. There is nothing there but fret 13-15. A setup guy can fix it. You may be able to feel a rough spot with a fingernail gently across the fret.

6. Eardoc

Eardoc Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2017
    New York
    I think this was the problem. Along with technique. Now I've gone three weeks without a break.

Davey77, Inverness and johnnymg like this.

7. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Time to get the frets recrowned and polished ;)

8. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Great to hear that the problem is fixed.

9. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Just a followup on my high-E string breaks. I switched to GHS boomer 10's and seem to have solved my breakage problem when doing high-E bends.