Join Strat-Talk Today

Brian May Guitar Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by 3bolt79, Mar 9, 2019.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I thought that we need to get a club for Brian May replica guitar players. Got a Burns, Guild Guyton etc. Post a picture and a story about your guitar here.

This is my almost five year old RSCustomGuitars 64 special. It’s made without a veneer on the back. It’s a slab Mahogany body, and routed from the top. It’s made out of real mahogany and ebony. The one that isn’t made from blockboard like Brian May’s. Adeson Burns Tri-Sonic monikered pickups. The only thing that is a PIA is that you have to take the Trem arm and the cover off to change the strings.

I got this at a seriously reduced price as it was a demo that went to the NAMM show a few years ago.
    The story goes that back around 1982, John Page was working as a bass tech for Deaky. He discuss making an exact replica of the old lady for Brian. He never finished it, and Everett Wood got ahold of it, and used it as the basis for his BM replicas.

It’s my favorite guitar, and as it cost a whole lotta money, and I had traded 3 custom Suhr guitars to get it, I don’t play out with it, as I would never be able to acquire another one if some tragedy should befall it. It’s the most expensive guitar I’ve ever owned. Here are some pics. By he way the neck is huge, just like the neck on Dr. May’s original. 1 and 1/4 inches thick at the zero fret. The headstock is a degre or so more angled to combat tuning problems that were there with the original Page guitar, according to Wood. 30C32541-7F00-4FBC-A7A0-9FB54CCB3207.jpeg B43574F6-B051-4D1C-9875-D098A6BB613A.jpeg 5045FFDE-0F93-4113-BA4F-49FC4E8AA199.jpeg 277558E7-47E7-411C-9B45-85F8CF661707.jpeg 0706FA6C-738A-4EA2-B308-029A6E97DDD5.jpeg 85961932-1EA6-4264-A6C2-CBC8F81DD96C.jpeg 51C60DED-46E8-49A1-87A6-198601940655.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

You refer to him as Dr. May.
    Thank you.

lefty alex, JurnyWannaBe and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. 3bolt79

Yeah, I guess when one attains the level of a PhD, “Doctor” becomes your new first name. At the same time, it would be ridiculous to demand people call me Practitioner followed by my last name, but the the licensing board does. Ha ha.

lefty alex and rolandson like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, he did earn it, and it isn't easy getting one of those.

lefty alex likes this.
  5. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Here is my beloved Red Special from Brian May guitars. I am playing the famous Bohemian Rhapsody solo or better say I try my best. Nobody can really copy the man himself I guess.
    My amp in this video is a Bugera 6260 and so it is not really sounding like a VOX AC30 but it gets all those overtones and with the build in reverb (no other fx in the video) it does sound good.
    I will post some pics later.

All the best,
    Robin

lefty alex, RobZ69, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  6. 3bolt79

Pretty cool man. My favorite Queen song to play right now is Need Your Lovin’ Tonight from The Game.. I don’t think Brian May even played the rhythm track on that. I thought I read somewhere that Deacon played rhythm guitar on that track with a strat.

I like your tone. I play a BMG version and really liked the Wilkinson tremolo. I might get another if i can find a green one. Of course the one in a natural looks pretty good as well. Would make a good gigging guitar. I don’t take my RS out of the house, except to a friends house. That guitar will never see the inside of a bar.

I just sold my Burns a few months ago. I really liked it, but after five years I had wore her out. I sold it to GC so I could get my son a strat. The guitar didn’t play well with his Mesa Boogie. Kent Armstrong TriSonics. If I get a green one I’ll put Adesons in it.

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

The Game was the first real rock album I bought with my own money. Need Your Lovin' is such a great track. I like to play drums to it, as well as Prime Jive and of course, Dragon Attack! The solo on Dragon is so cool with that pick slide in it. What an album.

lefty alex and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. lefty alex

lefty alex Strat-Talker

7C9EA6FE-91DA-418C-A104-153F013AC84E.jpeg 332754F2-FBA6-4E87-8679-70C27E214C3A.jpeg 93BF101B-875F-4A84-8D83-814BDAD5D1C9.jpeg 989A0251-DCF4-4ECD-BB61-FBED83E6F2AA.jpeg D12212B0-D2C2-4958-B036-676A43526DFD.jpeg D1073DEB-400D-4903-A17F-18D25DE67388.jpeg C247700A-817D-4993-A56F-09289C3934FA.jpeg Hi all,

I’m lucky enough to have a Guyton Brian May Red Special Edition.
    It’s made to exactly the originals specs .. even comes with a photo book of the actual guitar being made.

I had to sell every guitar I had bar one to get this but it's worth it.

Fabulous rich tone will do a good Strat to 335/Les paul impression. Wonderful squawky tones, Not only just for Queen covers though they do sound good! Apparently there's something like 12 different sounds with all of the out of phase options... from thin and clangy to strat neck tones..

Andrew Guyton did a run of 50 Brian May guitars , 40 red and 10 green, this is the only lefty he made and he's not making any more so it feels very special..

It's also signed by Dr May.

I got it off the Original owner who just kept it in its case for a year.. I got it for a ridiculously low price .. had it serviced by Andy Guyton who’s a top bloke by the way.

Check out the thick neck, forget baseball bats ..it’s literally a telegraph pole 1.02 at the first fret!

Happy to give any measurements or details to anyone who’s interested.

It’s one of my most prized possessions, my mum was the biggest Queen fan ever, I lost her in 2012 ...she would have loved this thing, it kind of reminds me of my childhood and happy times. A wonderful guitar.

Big guitar love to you all x

Stratbats, Robins and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. 3bolt79

Wow, you’ve probably got the most exact replica of Dr. may’s Guitar out of any of us here. Mine is based off the guitar that a John Page made for him in around 1982. My neck is a little bit thicker, measuring 1 1/4 inches at the zero fret. However, mine isn’t made just like yours. Instead of the blockboard body, mine is mahogany, and the body is a slab of mahogany, top routed, so the back isn’t actually a veneer like yours, and the original.

Mine, like yours, cost me every guitar I had, save one. It cost me three Suhr guitars, and it was worth it. My guitar was made by Everett Wood, who had the John Page guitar, and also the Birch replica that Dr. May destroyed in a fit of anger around 1982. My guitar was actually less expensive than the blockboard guitar. I actually just wanted real mahogany, as Mr. Wood said it had a fuller, rounder tone than the blockboard body one. And, as mine was a demo that went to the NAMM show, I got it at a greatly reduced price.

@lefty alex if you are ever on my side of the pond, I would love to get together with you and play some dual harmonized leads and check out your guitar.

If you get a chance, make a recording of your Guyton in action. I will add one soon myself.

Robins and lefty alex like this.
  10. 3bolt79

Here’s my 64 special in action with a dual delay.

11. 3bolt79

Sorry no video, I used my tablet as a recorder.:sneaky:

12. iamjethro

iamjethro Strat-Talk Member

I don't have pics right now, but will post some at some point.
    Received my BMG Red Special last fall. It was ordered in April or so by my wife as a 25 anniversary present. It did not arrive until October. Love it.I only play it at home with one exception. Last weekend we played a Halloween party and I did the dress as Dr. May thing and used it then. Non-smoking venue and it never left my sight.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.