Bridge Pickup Recommendation for a Strat

Pitman907

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 21, 2018
Anchorage, Alaska
Hi folks. Hope all is doing well with this covid outbreak.

Anyway, I recently bought a custom shop strat 63. It came with custom shop fat 50's pickups and I love the sound of the neck. Middle is ok. But the bridge sound really thin for my taste. I know there are a lot of options out there for a bridge pickup that sounds fatter, but I am not sure which one will match my CS Fat 50's well. Not overpower it.

According to Fender, here is the info for CS Fat 50's
DC Resistance: Neck: 6.0K. Middle: 6.3K. Bridge: 6.2K
Inductance: Neck: 2.4 Henries, Middle: 2.75 Henries, Bridge: 2.8 Henries.
Magnet: Alnico 5

I already tried to do my research and some folks says Antiquity Texas Hot Strat and Twangbanger are good choices. But I am open to other pickup brands as well. I love playing rock (90s in particular), and just want a bridge pickup that is not thin and too bright sounding. I don't use the bridge for clean. I only use it for overdriven sound, rhythm and solos. Can someone help me out please? Thank you very much!

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi folks. Hope all is doing well with this covid outbreak.

Anyway, I recently bought a custom shop strat 63. It came with custom shop fat 50's pickups and I love the sound of the neck. Middle is ok. But the bridge sound really thin for my taste. I know there are a lot of options out there for a bridge pickup that sounds fatter, but I am not sure which one will match my CS Fat 50's well. Not overpower it.

According to Fender, here is the info for CS Fat 50's
DC Resistance: Neck: 6.0K. Middle: 6.3K. Bridge: 6.2K
Inductance: Neck: 2.4 Henries, Middle: 2.75 Henries, Bridge: 2.8 Henries.
Magnet: Alnico 5

I already tried to do my research and some folks says Antiquity Texas Hot Strat and Twangbanger are good choices. But I am open to other pickup brands as well. I love playing rock (90s in particular), and just want a bridge pickup that is not thin and too bright sounding. I don't use the bridge for clean. I only use it for overdriven sound, rhythm and solos. Can someone help me out please? Thank you very much!

Is your bridge Fat 50s pickup hooked up to a tone control? If not.....I'd REALLY try that first.....

Bladesg

Funk Meister
Silver Member
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Lollar Special S in the bridge is definitely one of the better Strat single coils I've played or owned.

freddy

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 28, 2018
Belgium
i have been in the same situation with my classic 50's , after i swapped the pickups and performed tone control mod for the bridge PU i was able to use it and it actually sounds excellent for blues and rock , i have purchased my PU's with from scheffer pickups in Holland,
check the link below to get an idea how they sound

gretev

Strat-O-Master
Oct 22, 2013
Switzerland
When I read the title I was going to suggest the Fat 50‘s pickup for the bridge...
Compared to other Strats I play with 54 and 69 pickups the fat 50‘s are the hottest/fattest and respond the best to overdrive and distortion.
Maybe try the fat 60‘s...
They are new and sound amazing, especially when they break up. It‘s like Hendrix on steroids...

mshivy

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 7, 2014
Queens-the boro of dreams
The Dimarzio FS-1 has a good amount of power and is relatively inexpensive.

I’ve never tried the Twangbanger personally but it gets good reviews

Rio Grande also has some hotter bridge options.

Good luck whatever you decide

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Lower the neck and middle pickups to the pickguard and raise the bridge pickup until volume parity switching from neck to bridge. I recently saw pictures of Hendrix's Strat and he had the bass sides tipped up 1/8th inch higher than the treble (which were just about flush to the pickguard).

Find an 1/8th inch piece of steel that fits under the bridge pickup -- that will reflect more magnetic flux lines at the strings increasing the output like a Telecaster pickup. Hacksaw a house electrical box cover works for this, or thicker random bits from the kitchen junk drawer.

Pitman907

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 21, 2018
Anchorage, Alaska
Lollar Special S in the bridge is definitely one of the better Strat single coils I've played or owned.

If I install this pickup together with my CS Fat 50's, do I need to reverse the wires so they are in phase? Currently, my Fat 50's are hum cancelling in 2 and 4 positions. According to Lollar, their pickups are built to be humcanceling and in-phase in the combined positions, and when mixing different brands the combined pickup position can be out-of-phase or non-humcanceling. Does this apply in my case with my current pickup set? Thanks

Bladesg

Funk Meister
Silver Member
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
If I install this pickup together with my CS Fat 50's, do I need to reverse the wires so they are in phase? Currently, my Fat 50's are hum cancelling in 2 and 4 positions. According to Lollar, their pickups are built to be humcanceling and in-phase in the combined positions, and when mixing different brands the combined pickup position can be out-of-phase or non-humcanceling. Does this apply in my case with my current pickup set? Thanks

I'm pretty sure you won't have to.