Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bridge Quest

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by StoogeSurfer, Dec 4, 2017.

1. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2010
    USA
    Still looking for the right pickup for the bridge in my vintage Strat.
    For some background, the guitar doesn't have original PUs; it has vintage Kinmans in the neck and middle. These are high output and noiseless, really great sounding, but I need something different in the bridge ... thinking Fender noiseless hot. But in my really perfect world, it's also got Tele twang. And plays well with pedals. So, a Strat-sized Tele twanging noiseless hot bridge pickup. Does this beast exist?

2. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I know the Custom Shop can build something like this.

3. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Try a A3 strat pickup. The vast majority of strat pickups are A5 and a few A2's but A3 is rare fir strats, but i recently tried one and i felt like i had found what was always missing in strat bridge pickups and it does also to my ear sound more tele like than A5's. It has a sound that eliminates the age old strat bridge issues with thin sound and gives a touch of tele bridge tone IMO and is fat and rich. I researched A3 strat pups and found a lot of others saying the same thing about then as being a sort of revelation to then. Hard to find many of them, plus the only ones i tried are tonerider and i felt they don;t sound good in the neck and middle but they kill in the bridge. I have another one wound hotter on the way from benson custom wound to 7.8k. I think itls going to be the ultimate overwound strat bridge tone. The magnets are a little less output than A5 so they can be wound hotter without sounding like igh output pickups so i think 7.8k may be just right. It was only $45 ($55 shipped) so i think it may be a fantastic value and fix for the typical strat bridge tone issues so many have. I love the 6.4k tonerider in there right now but i think it would be even better with a bit more winds so we shall see.

Anyways, i really think A3 magnets are the missing link in strat bridge pickup sound. Think about how many people use and prefer A3 for teles ! So why so few for strats? Because historically A5 was used almost always except in the first 2 or 3 years from '54 to 56 or 7. And look at the strat reissues that are available....they're almost always later models like the 57 or 60's all of which were A5. So thats whats available mostly from both fender and aftermarket winders. I think A3 will eventually start catching on and i see that in the reviews i have seen. Bareknuckle also makes them but his are expensive. Rave reviews tho. Got to thier site and listen to the clips of thier A3 Apache set. the dirty clip especially is so rich and fat it's droolworthy. But i don't think it's who you get them from, just going to A3 will give you that sound. Oh, and unlike A5 it doesn't thin out quite as much when you roll the volume down to clean up if u have a treble bleed in your strat.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You mean a noiseless version of the Twangbanger? Is that feasible? Because apart from the noiseless requirement, the Twangbanger sounds ideal.

5. StoogeSurfer

Jan 13, 2010
    USA
    I like the Twangbanger a lot, but at (~8k) it's not as hot as my favorite SD pickup, the overwound STL-2 for Tele (~16k). I have put an STL-2 in a gigging Strat, but I don't want to go that route in my vintage guitar.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    My main Tele has A3 mags. It sounds like the perfect Tele to me.

7. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    yeah, a lot of tele pups are A3 tho, so no surprise there. It's very popular in teles. But with strats it's kinda rare so it's something i think has been sorely overlooked. But i believe it will come of age, especially with the posts i read in doing research showing other people also being surprised to find A3 was the missing like for them with strat pickups, particularly the bridge. I now have them in both my strat's bridges and it's fantastic. Even the best A5 pickups like van zandts were too thin and harsh and the bridge position in both strats (very different sounding strats by the way) has improved immensely.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Actually I had them custom wound. Most choices are A5, even for a Tele. I wanted it to go a little hot but still get that classic Tele chime with a volume rolloff. It turned out perfectly.

9. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Fender makes several, the Nocaster, Original vintage and Deluxe drive, all being a bit overwound. I really liked the nocaster. Overwound but just enough i felt, and really rich and complex. The OV was a bit bright for my taste tho, and i never tried the DD. But again, strats are almost all A5. With maybe 10% being A2 or a combo and A3 makes up i would estimate a percent or less.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    None of those are Strat sized Tele style pickups, are they?

11. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    No, i was answering the post above me suggesting most tele pups are A5 by showing even fender makes a number of A3 for tele. Lots of winders do actually.

12. StoogeSurfer

Jan 13, 2010
    USA
    Any positive experiences with the Fender Hot Noiseless (Jeff Beck) pickup in the bridge?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017