Broke my friggin hand today...

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
At least it is my picking hand. Broken back around my palm behind the pinky. Finger was dislocated and pointing sideways. Setting it HURT. Guess I can work on left hand fretting techniques and learn how to weld southpaw. 2020 needs to just get bent.
Lame. I broke my right wrist into 12 pieces some twenty years ago and it was set with an external fixator. I couldn't hold a pick for the longest time or, obviously, move my wrist. What I COULD do was use my first finger or thumb to pluck a string or strum. I used the time to work on my legato technique.

You'll get through this sooner than you think! Still a bummer...I know.

Last edited:

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Lame. I broke my right wrist into 12 pieces some twenty years ago and it was set with an external fixator. I couldn't hold a pick for the longest time are, obviously, move my wrist. What I COULD do was use my first finger or thumb to pluck a string or strum. I used the time to work on my legato technique.

You'll get through this sooner than you think! Still a bummer...I know.
Thanks man. Just went back to work after a quarantine with my wife, so it happened at a crappy time. I’m right handed, so it’ll make doing anything I like to do impossible for a while. It was not a huge devastating break like yours, so I’m thankful for that!

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
Thanks man. Just went back to work after a quarantine with my wife, so it happened at a crappy time. I’m right handed, so it’ll make doing anything I like to do impossible for a while. It was not a huge devastating break like yours, so I’m thankful for that!
Hey man, it still sucks. A break is a break. Turn up the gain and practice those legato licks!:thumb:

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
At least it is my picking hand. Broken back around my palm behind the pinky. Finger was dislocated and pointing sideways. Setting it HURT. Guess I can work on left hand fretting techniques and learn how to weld southpaw. 2020 needs to just get bent.
On the good side...
Wasn't your coccyx(tail bone)
Busted is never good
Always hurts
Always inconvenient....
But
Tail bone (mamacita)
You'll remember every fart...

jbylake

Fabulously Famous Nobody
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Nov 25, 2019
Currently MIA
Understand your frustration. I quit for several years because I cut my hand with a knife and coudn't use my left hand index finger. A few years later, another Doc said "I can fix that" and I said hell yes! I've broken a couple of bones, 7 ribs and cracked some vertebrae and rupture discs, and am still playing. I think your finger will hurt like hell for a while (if you bump it) but I believe you'll be back with your "new" finger sooner than you might think. Good luck to you.

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
Sorry to hear about the hand
Did this happen at work?

ripped apart my right shoulder at work 2 months ago, waiting to meet with the orthopedic surgeon to review the options.

Good luck and heal quick

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Understand your frustration. I quit for several years because I cut my hand with a knife and coudn't use my left hand index finger. A few years later, another Doc said "I can fix that" and I said hell yes! I've broken a couple of bones, 7 ribs and cracked some vertebrae and rupture discs, and am still playing. I think your finger will hurt like hell for a while (if you bump it) but I believe you'll be back with your "new" finger sooner than you might think. Good luck to you.
I appreciate it. I’ve cut off the end of my picking index finger, and I actually play better after than before. I know it’s just a setback though. I’m very thankful it was not a massive life changing injury. It’s just annoying, ya know.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
You sound like me! I have absolutely beaten the **** out of myself....smashed right wrist, amputated left little finger, broken L1, degenerate L5 & S1, right knee surgery, boxer fracture left hand...and a few other bumps too - and I lost count of how many stitches I've had since childhood!

So let @jbylake and myself be an example for you @Jason D ! I'll bet there are other members with more examples of overcoming injury.

You got this!