Broken Fingers? Keep On Playing!!!

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
4E745545-C73E-4118-B844-C652F1EFFC52.jpeg 129A12DA-A363-4946-825F-6211891674A0.jpeg 7BC9DC26-FF79-4062-9B8D-D4CE1E4EEB0E.jpeg Recently, I had a 3 fingers on my picking hand smashed to hell. The index, middle and ring fingers all were broken, and the middle finger has pins. It is what it is, whatever.

After a couple days sitting around, I just had to pick up a guitar and see what would happen. It sucked and I played like trash. It was awkward and I just couldn’t get comfortable at all with how I had to hold the pick. Also, my finger that’s wrapped up kept getting in the way. So, anyway, I kept playing. I started to get more and more comfortable with everything, and I noticed I as playing more comfortably than I ever have and with a lot more precision.

The real point of the post is this; if there is a will, there’s a way. I’ve had a broken hand, three broken fingers and a crushed index finger all on the same hand in less than 4 years. Every single time, I got back to playing as soon as I could. If you love playing, it becomes part of your life that you can’t live without. Sometimes I hear people say how hard it is to learn to play, or “I’m not able to do this or that because of this or that”, and I have to completely disagree.

if you’re gonna play guitar, then you’re gonna play guitar.

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
View attachment 500555 View attachment 500554 View attachment 500553 Recently, I had a 3 fingers on my picking hand smashed to hell. The index, middle and ring fingers all were broken, and the middle finger has pins. It is what it is, whatever.

After a couple days sitting around, I just had to pick up a guitar and see what would happen. It sucked and I played like trash. It was awkward and I just couldn’t get comfortable at all with how I had to hold the pick. Also, my finger that’s wrapped up kept getting in the way. So, anyway, I kept playing. I started to get more and more comfortable with everything, and I noticed I as playing more comfortably than I ever have and with a lot more precision.

The real point of the post is this; if there is a will, there’s a way. I’ve had a broken hand, three broken fingers and a crushed index finger all on the same hand in less than 4 years. Every single time, I got back to playing as soon as I could. If you love playing, it becomes part of your life that you can’t live without. Sometimes I hear people say how hard it is to learn to play, or “I’m not able to do this or that because of this or that”, and I have to completely disagree.

Ouch!
i sprained 2 fingers on my fretting hand about 4 weeks ago. They are still really stiff and sore but I've started playing a bit (and doing stretching exercises).

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
Turning up the gain in the dirty channel helps ease the pain.

You are blessed that your fretting hand is still perfectly fine.

Keep on playin' dude!

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
View attachment 500555 View attachment 500554 View attachment 500553 Recently, I had a 3 fingers on my picking hand smashed to hell. The index, middle and ring fingers all were broken, and the middle finger has pins. It is what it is, whatever.

That's some ugly Schmitt

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA

Cut my right middle finger off a the second joint
Drove to the San francisco industrial E hospital
They sewed it back on
Taped it to a wide board
Told me i could go back to work
I
Told me to hit a bar...
Al Williams opened the trunk of his ford
Pulled a quart jar of genuine West Virginia moon
Ussens set about doctoring the pain..

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
OUCH! That hurts just looking at it.

I have previously posted pics of old broken and cut-up fingers on my left hand, also. I wonder how many people are like me......when I go to pick something up, whatever it is, I naturally reach with my LEFT hand. I have been an airplane mechanic, built.."things"...for the gov't which involved big heavy pieces of metal and equipment, work in a factory with hand tools, I fix my own truck and motorcycles, etc., so I am always working with tools and things that can hurt me. I am "right-handed", and I sort of developed a natural instinct early on to protect my right hand, even before I started fooling around with guitars. My left hand is my strength hand and my right hand is my dexterity hand.

I just wonder how many of the people here are the same way. Do you intentionally or instinctively protect one hand or the other?

SultanOfLove87

New Member!
May 2, 2019
Lethendy
That's hardcore attempting to play in that condition...

i broke a metacarpal bone in my right hand in 2018 (picking hand)... thought i was goosed, as the only way i'm interested in playing now (have been for years) is Knopfler's style...
It healed crooked, but i got away with it mostly, other than a bit of awkwardness & arthritis now and then... but as you said, if there's a will... so you just find a way to somehow keep on being musical about it.

The worst thing ever for me that stops me wanting to play, is a herniated disc in my lower back... because if i have no Tramadol it means i need to stand up or i can't play, and most of the time i just can't be bothered at all if i can't sit down and play... Plus Tramadol is harder to find than the stage door at Cleveland, so...

Fair play to you.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

I know what you mean by this. I've been trying to take a break, for a couple of weeks to let this knot on my wrist go down but I can't stop long enough for it to go down. Lol. I have to pick it up every day and at least play a little.

Ian Ashdown

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I’m still not fully healed from my broken left ring finger from a dog bite 9 months ago! It’s all healed but there is still inflammation and my finger doesn’t bend fully and is just ‘slow’ to follow instruction!

My advice would be to let you fingers heal for a few weeks before doing anything painful. There could be permanent damage.

Ian
SoCal

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Check it out, I have a pic of the pins. I just got those out in Wednesday. I have to be easy on it for a couple more weeks, but holy crap it’s amazing not having to worry about those stupid pins bending. You all kick ass, I hope you know. Thanks for all the posts. Also, it was interesting hearing a few of your war stories. I’ve been playing through the whole situation, but I’ve definitely been taking it easy. I tell ya what though; I’m going to be unbelievably more aware of the dangers around me. I’ve made some truly amateur mistakes lately that have put me down way too many times. Thanks everyone! 5F88E245-4DF3-437A-96C4-CECC6B00A60A.jpeg