brown/purple edges

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by EXTRABLUE, Jan 16, 2021.

1. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

The first strat I had did not have black edges on its sunburst. They were a very dark brown that kinda looked like they had some purple in it. The guitar I bought in 1962 and it had clay markers so I guess it was a late 59 cause I bought it new at a music store. Why are the edges black now, I like the color I had.

2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I think I posted about this quite a while ago, and didn't get much in the way of responses. When I was in high school - so, probably '83 or '84 - a friend of mine got a real, brand-spanking-new MIA Strat in what I recall as being the typical sunburst scheme at the time...the edges were a brownish color, but I remember it as having almost an olive-green tint to it. I'm curious what that color would have been called in the catalogs of the day; "Tobacco Sunburst" seems like it would have fit, and almost rings a bell. Guess I could give that a Goog...

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I think the new guitars, the joins in the wood are harder to see ?

4. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Brown Sunburst. At least with respect to the '83-ish vintage, that's what it was called for the "standard" Stratocaster, per some price lists found online...and it was indeed, a sunburst that terminated in brown edges. I too wonder why they did away with it in favor of black.

5. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

The black edges is what keeps me from getting a sunburst. Even what they call brown sunburst now has black edges but tan burst instead of yellow.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

So I googled it, I think Im changing search engines soon, and found this after awhile. At first the Strat had "two then-common paint colors—a brownish-black outer hue called dark Salem, which graduated to a golden inner hue called canary yellow. In 1964 The body is now dyed and painted. Much, if not all of the translucent sunburst is gone. The outer edges are now black, rather than a deep, dark brown. Some call this look a “bullseye” as the fade is less gradual." So 1964 was the year the edges changed to black. This confirms my memory. Sure would like to find a new strat with that color edges

7. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

I hear good things about Duckduckgo

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Been using it for a couple of years. Don't miss google at all. And they don't track you and mine your data.

9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

Google who? :sneaky: