BTS tickets on sale for more than £3000

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Mar 4, 2019.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47417775

Korean K-Pop superstars BTS have sold out Wembley stadium in just 90 minutes as part of their first world wide tour. But within minutes of their release, tickets appeared on ticket re-sale sites for much higher prices.

On re-sale site, Stubhub, for example, there are tickets on sale for over £3000. That's despite the original cost of the tickets being between £50-175, with special sound-check packages setting fans back just over £200.

Now I don't imagine there are many ST members who are fans of Korean boy-band BTS, but doesn't this just show how the live concert market has been destroyed by the greed of the ticket agencies? This is a group whose target market is teenagers, especially teenage girls. Even £175 would be a lot for most of them (or their parents) to find, but £3000? :eek:

In a recent thread on here, one ST member suggested that if he ruled the world, he would cut the hands off shoplifters. If that is acceptable, perhaps we should have a poll attached to this thread? A poll to determine which body part we would surgically remove from the people responsible for this abuse of market position?

2. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Insane

3. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

The people responsible for the market position are the people who will pay £3000. There is no abuse of the market. This is how a market works.
    Lunatics perhaps, but would you prefer a centrally controlled pricing system.?. Personally I think there's something to be said for it.

Cyberi4n and Triple Jim like this.
  4. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

oooooo Korean boy band..... sign me up.....

Lovnmesomestrat and Bodean like this.
  5. stratman323

No, it is abuse of the market. This never happened before the days of "booking agencies" - you had to buy your ticket from the venue & the price on the ticket is the price everybody paid, whether Prince or pauper.

The ticket agencies, totally unregulated, have abused their position of power to exploit innocent consumers. It's questionable whether what they are doing is legal, as recent cases involving Ed Sheeran have proved. Hopefully this will increase the pressure on our (dysfunctional) government to bring them all under greater control. We know we can't rely on them to self regulate.

balston11, sp8ctre and Will Lefeurve like this.
  6. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

This ^^^^ parasites..

sp8ctre likes this.
  7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I may be naive, but would somebody really pay that much to see these guys?boys?

8. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

You see @stratman323, there are a bunch of suckers in the world. The suckers are responsible for the high ticket prices. Why? You ask.
    Because they pay the ridiculous prices. No buy = No sell. No sell = cheaper prices or no show at all. If the suckers were smart(which we all know they are not) they would unite and stop buying tickets period for any show. Sort of a protest if you will. This is all a fantasy post, since there aren't enough smart people in the world to realize they are being had, and will do something about it.
    There is truly a sucker born every minute.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Ticket scalping is illegal in some areas.
    Apparently not there, though.

Won't KPop/BTS (whatever that is ...) be happy to play an empty "sold out" stadium.

10. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I've seen this as I recently shelled out for some in demand tickets for two separate shows. For one show, I made the decision late so whatever ticket I bought was mostly like inflated from the original price. On the other one, I got online the minute they went up for "pre" sale and picked a nice seat. A week later seats in that section were almost double the price, most likely purchased the same day I did and then put up for resale.

But I want to say I remember seeing somewhere that it is potentially a little more out of control in the UK? I don't know where I read that, but most of the examples here seem to support that. I feel like whatever I read specifically talked about people wanting some sort of regulation.

11. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

When I came to see the Monty Python, it was the same circus ! For a boy-band too. Crazy UK...

12. stratman323

Not sure I understand this. I saw Monty Python at the o2 a few years ago & tickets were relatively reasonable.

:confused:

13. stratman323

I'm afraid that's over-simplified.

London is greatly polarised. We have some unbelievably rich people here & an awful lot more very poor people. Those very rich people are the ones who buy the megabucks tickets. It's the rest of us that suffer. The market doesn't work because it has been distorted by the greed of ticket agencies. The market needs some control - you can't rely on the agencies to self monitor.

And we all know that "organised protests" of the type you suggest just don't work. Even trade unions have become irrelevant & toothless as their power has been steadily taken away from them. Organised people-power of that sort is a distant memory from decades long since gone.

sp8ctre likes this.
  14. stratman323

I think you're right. Which probably explains why North Americans are less sympathetic to this situation than many people in Europe are. It's spiraling out of control.

15. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

There was a lot of scalping and tickets gone very quickly to be sold somewhere else...at least I recall it that way, probably because we are not much used to that on the continent.

Fortunately, I bought my ticket at standard price (expensive but only because very near the scene !).

16. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I'm with you, Roger. If no one paid the inflated prices, it would stop happening. If people to pay them, I'm glad they have that much money to stimulate the economy. As my mother used to say, "They have more dollars than they have sense."

17. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

It's just that there are more suckers than smart people. I see things simply. I am a simple man after all.:D

elduderinoTF likes this.
  18. stratman323

For Python? I don't recall hearing about that. I got my tickets as soon as they were announced. It was my first experience of how horrific the o2 is......:(

19. stratman323

Please see post #13 which explains that. There are some horrifically rich people living in London.

Well there were before Brexit anyway.....:whistling:

20. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

I had the most pleasant experience, coming early by boat, sunny weather (yes, sunny in London), having some sushis and sitting 15 meters from John Cleese !