BTS tickets on sale for more than £3000

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Mar 4, 2019.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

The problem is that WE are the "rich londoners" for the rest of the world. They can say the same speaking about us !

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Yes I remember that we had a nice sunny evening as we found a place for a couple of drinks down by the river.

But the o2 is a vile place, & no doubt a death trap for those in the "cheap" seats - hasn't anyone else noticed how few fire escapes there are at the top level?

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I saw it, and as I said above, I'm happy that there are people with enough money to buy those tickets and stimulate the economy.

Admittedly our economic beliefs are not identical, partly because we come from somewhat different economic systems. That's OK with me. :)

If a performer or band doesn't like the things happening to ticket sales like catering to the rich, they have the option of changing things. They could, for example, require fixed prices to be charged at the door just before the show starts, allowing only one ticket per person. There might still be a few who buy a single ticket, then sell it later when the booth sells out, but the scalping industry would be kept away.

I get a lot more enjoyment from the less famous acts who play in small clubs. My wife and I saw Popa Chubby again a month ago in a club in Durham for $20 each, and we sat about 10 feet from the band. Every Wednesday evening that club has its weekly open mic blues night. I'm doing my part to stamp out scalping!

Chont likes this.
  4. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Do I have to believe this? I guess so. :(

5. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Seems part of the problem is that we are being overtaken by the "highest bidder" syndrome. This is sadly not just tickets, it is virtually everything. "Deals" being snatched up by resellers. You name it, the reseller is there. One can say, "hey that's fair". Fair or not, I don't consider it fair, and no I don't like it. Being considered fair is part of the bad mentality out there. We are becoming accustomed to warped values, and then consider them fair.

sp8ctre and axis69 like this.
  6. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

The LA Times had a story in the last year about how the official ticket seller's will sell huge blocks of tickets to scalpers and get a kickback-so they actually are getting 2 sales per ticket!

The last time I saw a rock concert I paid 10 or 12$...yngwe or Ozzy,1985ish.

7. stratman323

Exactly - it's not a simple problem.

A very helpful woman in the Royal Albert Hall box office explained to me (some years ago) that the reason that they (the RAH) often don't have many of the best seats to sell to customers is because the promoter retains large blocks of the best tickets to distribute to whoever they want. Presumably, the highest bidder wins. So the promoter makes an extra cut from selling blocks of lucrative tickets to a high-cost agency, which then sells the tickets on at vast mark-ups. Every extra snout in the trough in this chain inflates the final price for the genuine fan.

It's a racket, & rackets usually need to be outlawed in order to get rid of them. This racket certainly won't go away of it's own accord

sp8ctre likes this.
  8. stratman323

I'm not convinced that these sales do stimulate the economy. Most of the profit goes to the people who have done the least to put the show on. Parasites, in other words.

We may have different economic systems in our two countries but I get the impression that you guys don't get ripped off to the same extent that we do. It's interesting to speculate why.

I also prefer to see bands in small intimate venues, but more & more often there is no choice. More & more bands play the o2 as they can make vastly greater profits in that great aircraft hanger than they can in somewhere smaller & better like the Albert Hall. Which is why I jumped at the chance to see Clapton at the RAH in May.

Triple Jim likes this.
  9. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

That makes
    Hookers
    N
    Alimony
    Look like the low price thread...

elduderinoTF likes this.
  11. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

I saw all the bands I wanted to see by the mid 80s.Someone offered me free tickets for the stones in 89 and I passed because they were way past their prime.
    Sometime in the late 80s tickets doubled to about 20$ and people were griping.I thought 20$ was insane.I guess concerts today are a commodity business.

12. stratman323

Well, to play devil's advocate for a moment, back in the 80s bands used to make most of their money from record sales. Tours were mainly arranged to plug the latest record.

Now it's the other way round. There is little money to be made from download sales, so bands earn their income from live shows. That alone is probably enough to justify concert tickets doubling in price - but I don't mind that. I don't mind the bands I see making money from the tickets I buy. What I object to is all the grubby little middle men who all add their own cut to the ticket prices. They produce nothing - just take.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Those parasites do spend the money and keep it circulating. :)

14. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

the market is not working if there's hoarding, those are anti-liberal practices actually, oligopolies, monopolies, are bad practices that goes against the free market . Is just as if the state will control the prices. Markets do not regulate themselves

15. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

let me preface this with my belief that markets are NOT good for everybody and I would go a long way to believing the system used by the Chinese is worth investigating.

Having said that..YES the markets ARE working. You set up your store, you offer goods for sale and you sell some or you don't.

The alternative to that is Prices are controlled centrally (usually by a government). Don't forget that the price of Labour would also be controlled and when the government decides that @stratman323 earns 3 times the amount as someone else then they can/will reduce your pay to 1/3. When @stratman323 wants to sell his Tokai (not that you ever would) the central controlling mechanism will set the price whether you belive that to be fair or not.

Markets aren't FAIR. They are what they are. Most of the western world live via this mecahnism and centrally controlled economies have MOSTLY failed. BUT..as I said China seems to be doing welll with it.

3,000 pounds for a ticket to see a boy band. Hey man, if your stupid enough fine, but I don't want a government that tells me how much or little I can earn.

Please note once again. Markets do not produce the best result for everybody, but they are doing in this example exactly what they are there for. Stupid, I know.

Cyberi4n, Chont and elduderinoTF like this.
  16. roger@pennyflic

No they don't. And in a FAIRER society, markets can and should be regulated.

cappei likes this.
  17. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

But China has other problems, they equally generate exclusion and poverty, and the way to make work the fierce free market sistem they got goin' on is on base of awfull human rights violations in general. and a huge concentration of wealth. China, as I once read, is a dreamland for market, autoritarian politics at home, free market abroad. While central economies are not the answer, maybe countries like Canada might have a better answer, with a strong social service (schools, hospitals, etc. cus' education and health are human rights, not market comodities) AFAIK, cus never been to Canada, but certanly for a lot of chileans, and latin americans, is a country that we admire for their modern policies that we would like to have in our own country.

But anyway, a concert is not a human right, (maybe?) but buyin' a lot of tickets to sell em' 1000% more expensive, it's at least an illicite. Is like knowingly making a move to scam people. I would call it a scam, or maybe asociation to comit a scam. Might not be considered as an illicite move, but the spirit behind it kind of it is.

[email protected] likes this.
  18. roger@pennyflic

Reselling tickets in Australia is called scalping. There are new laws the govern what you can and cant do but for me I dont believe there is a problem. It is no different from reselling any product (like a guitar). Obviously people around the world disagree with me because there is indeed legislation to rein it in. I just think that you dont have to buy the ticket especially when it's £3000

19. Richardtij

Richardtij New Member!

We must consider that BTS is a prevalent and international group, making tours worldwide, that's why tickets can reach such a high price. I know I have to buy with 5 months in advance for the price to be reasonable. It's a little hard to tan one, though. Usually, all this news about concerts, groups, and actors can be found here http://k0reanwatch.com/ . This is a site with the latest news but also information that may interest you. So if you need it, use it. I return to the previous topic. I think we should understand them too because they do a lot of hard work. Hope you know that.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  20. stratman323

Why are you replying to a thread that's been dead & resting peacefully for over 2 years?

nadzab and stratnutz like this.