Budget-friendly option to mod

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by guiarnoldi, Jun 14, 2021.

1. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

Hey, guys.

I've been reading things here for years. But never posted anything.
    I have a lot more to learn than to teach.

Anyway, the thing is I've been playing guitar since I'm a teenager.
    I always loved the strat and the tones I heard from it on the records.
    But I have never been able to buy one. I had for a few months a MIJ Contemporary from the 80's, which I loved, but things got hard and I had to sell it after a few months.

Later I wanted to start a partscaster and was all set to start buying the things, part by part.
    From the list, I only was able to buy the pickups, a Lollar Blakface set, but never was able to resume the project and kept the set in the box for 10+ years.

Now things are a little better, but not that that much. At this point, I think I can start buying one part per month so I can have the strat I've been dreaming for decades now.

The thing is, I've been looking for a good plataform to mod. The pickups are already with me, and I plan to buy everything else. But about the body and/or neck, I'm in doubt.

I have a great luthier "near" where I live (Portugal). I could buy a Squier CV 60's, used if possible, or a neck (fender mim or allparts). Unfortunatelly, the full guitars are over my budget (even MIJ and MIM). I'll have it painted, installed and setup. What would you guys do?

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience with me.

fattboyzz likes this.
  2. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It's hard to go wrong with squire series strats. I do no know the market in Portugal.
    In my part of the us they are frequently available in 100$ range and many fender parts are directly interchangeable.
    And welcome!

guiarnoldi likes this.
  3. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'd look for a MIM standard body and neck. Only thing lacking on the MIM Standards (now Player Series) is the pickups.

I know people love them, but I'm not a fan of Squiers. I bought one (Indonesian) a few years ago and the wood was very soft - soft to the point that the screws were popping out of the body constantly before I finally tore it apart and glued a toothpick into every hole in the guitar.

guiarnoldi likes this.
  4. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

Thanks for your answer. I can find new classic vibes here in Portugal, but none used. Have you ever modded a CV? My fear is exactly possibility to add the bridge (Gotoh 510) without drilling the body. And the screw holes if they are the same of USA made (easier to find to buy). The other mods, I believe are no problem (wiring, pickups, tuners, painting, nut and string tree).

5. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

Thanks for the answer! I never played a CV, but the internet seems to love them. I can look a store to try a classic vibe, but I probably wouldn't be able to judge if the wood would turn bad in few months. I could look for a MIM neck and ask the luthier here to build an alder body with fender specs. The thing i that I'd have to find a good deal, because I just can't find used necks here in Portugal, only new ones directly from fender (which are preocey AF). So I'd have to buy from US and ship it here, paying the taxes and hoping not to be scammed, lol.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

The CV is good enough that it needs NOTHING modded or changed....nothing at all...they even have a real bone nut now.....

It would be a total waste of money to upgrade bridge, tuners, pickups etc on it. It's a professional level instrument right from the factory.

The wood does not 'turn bad' on any guitar...where did you hear this?

guiarnoldi and Biddlin like this.
  7. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

I was just commenting the reply when @Handsome McClane said the wood was super soft in squiers. As I said, I wasn't able to play a CV yet.
    If I buy a CV, I'd probably just change the pickups (because I already have them), the pickguard and have it painted. The bridge and tuners I'd buy if I was to build a partscaster. Buying a blank neck and body.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

The pickups that come stock in the Classic Vibe Squier Strats are high quality plastic bobbin Alnico V pickups, with a slightly hot 60s wind, they will sound exactly the same or 95% or more the same as Lollar Blackface...

The wood in a Squier is not super soft, that is the low end Bullet guitars with basswood bodies. The CV uses Alder, hard asian Pine, or Nato....not soft...

I think you should get a CV and change nothing, but that's just my opinion.

guiarnoldi likes this.
  9. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

And I thank you for your opinion. As the CV is the most budget-friendly option right now, it's where I'm most inclined to go. About the screwholes on the pickguard, do you know if they align with the USA placement? As I said, the only things I'd change are the aesthetics and maybe the pickups. If I like the pickups on the CV, I may as well keep the lollar for some other build in the future.

fattboyzz and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

To be honest when it comes to pickguards, it is nearly impossible to get a new one that lines up EXACTLY with all of the holes, usually 1-2 at least are a little off and need filling and re-drilling....

The CV60s has a 1962 Fender 11 hole pattern pickguard, the CV50s has a 1950s 8 hole pattern....and the CV70s have a modern post 1964 11 hole pattern....

guiarnoldi likes this.
  11. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

A few years ago I had an Indonesian Squier standard Strat that was excellent, in all respects.
    [​IMG]

12. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

Mighty Mite is a good company that makes quality Fender licensed necks and bodies at a good price. I have a Mighty Mite neck on my MIM Fender alder Strat body and it feels great. Your luthier friend may have to level the frets for you after you put it together but that would be it. You may not even need to do that.

guiarnoldi and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. guiarnoldi

guiarnoldi New Member!

I have to think my options. The CV here would cost me around 450 usd (new).
    Maybe is worth after all buying a neck (probably from US, I don't know if there's a fender licensed neck maker in Europe). If you know someone traveling to europe these days, lemme know :D

14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

A member posted a clip playing one of these yesterday. It looked like, and was a solid ash body so I asked what it was:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610191

Under $200 shipped to my door. Clint said his came playable right out of the box and other than the ABS nut, (and probably some cheap pots), everything else is useable, but it's a cheap mod platform.

I ordered it primarily to test out different pickup sets/wiring options for some loaded pick guards I'm building, but if it needs any fret dressing I can use it for practice without worrying if I screw it up.

For your purposes, it has a Wilkinson bridge, so I'd replace the nut, wire the pickguard with some new controls and pop those Lollars in there.

Here's what is sounds like out of the box with no mods:

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/gilmour-or-less.566860/

MrClint likes this.