Budget home recording

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Stonetone, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

circles likes this.
  2. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

I've got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 - it's very stable. i love it.

i use garageband as my DAW... it's the training wheels version of Logic, which i hope to move to soon...

rgbedard and duzie like this.
  3. Stonetone

Ahh only PC here so ..... ;)

montemerrick likes this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

well there are tons of DAWs - Audacity is free... lots of people love Reaper.

GaryM and GuitLoop like this.
  5. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Cakewalk is now free, it used to cost considerable dollars. Our 3 CDs on iTunes were recorded mostly using Cakewalk/ Sonar, a few using Studio One.

I’ve also got an 8i6 Scarlet that’s been in my studio for years; great unit.

jungle faced jake likes this.
  6. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

free legit. download version of Presonus studio one 3
    free download of Nuendo
    originally I used the pre-out from a peavey practice amp
    now I have an antique steinberg ci1
    look at steinberg ur22 mk2 I think comes with a version of cubase
    just don't ask me about video

7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Antstrat is giving away a recorder....

8. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Gone. Already took it to the post office.

9. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Lots of people use this rig and it gets good reviews. Have fun with recording!

Stonetone likes this.
  10. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Use the Live lite or Pro Tools that came with your interface, pro tools is an industry standard and good software (if your computer can run it).

11. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Focusrite audio interfaces are all I've used for some years now, and that's a decent bundle of gear.

Getting it set up and learning how to get the best from a DAW is a learning curve, but almost everyone can make really great recordings these days if they're prepared to put in the time. If you let us know the things you hope to achieve with your recording set-up, it will make it easier to hone in on the DAWs most likely to meet your needs.

dogletnoir likes this.
  12. Stonetone

YEs its something Id Like to do is Record At home But Nothing fancy and OFC there will be a Learning curve to use the DAW

Thanks all for the Input

13. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Audacity....free, good enough and runs on windows.

14. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

Another very satisfied Focusrite user here ... I am on a mac, but you can get DAWs for PCs.

Stonetone and duzie like this.
  15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd choose Reaper over Audacity. OK, it costs $60, but it's fully featured, very well supported and has a lot of similarities with the major commercial DAWs. As a result, quite a lot of anything you learn using Reaper is a transferable skill.

Alternatively Cubase Elements comes in a a similar price point, is developed by Steinberg who've been in the business longer than almost anyone else, and has an upgrade path all the way up to Cubase Pro.

For those of us old enough to remember when a 4-track analog tape recorder was a major investment, and every single piece of outboard was something you saved up for, any DAW is a wonderful thing, though. They can all do things we could only dream of in the 1980s! (Hiss free recording, easy editing, as many effects and your computer has processing power to support, software synths that cost relatively little, easy synchronisation with drum software, almost unlimited number of tracks...)

Plus of course, YouTube is awash with really useful tutorials. :)

Stephen James and Stonetone like this.
  16. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I almost bought one of these, but went for the Presonus 24c because too many people were complaining about issues with Windows 10. With that said, those complaints could be the result of user error. I didn't want to take the chance, and I was replacing a 12 year old Presonus Firebox, so Presonus earned my trust with the longevity of that product.

That package will suit you well though, very well.

One last thing, I find myself using Amplitube more and more these days, as it sounds so good and is just too convenient not to use. I then go back and use my amps as a "final copy", if you will.

bbarott and Stonetone like this.
  17. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

I would put another vote in the column of reaper, it works on both windows and mac, so sessions can be opened if you take them someplace that runs a mac only. It is well executed audio software..

18. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Strat-Talk Member

Mixcraft is a very user friendly program inexpensive and sounds great my buddy uses it and it
    Sounds as pro as it
    Gets

19. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Just one other point I want to make, based on all of the recommendations for a DAW. They are all similar and very capable. It comes down to which ones work flow works best for your style of recording. Easy editing is also a feature to look for. For a starter, also look at what Plug Ins are included with the system. Honestly, most of my Plug Ins are 3rd Party these days, but I have been doing this for over 15 years so I have built up a really good collection.

I agree that guitar sims such as Ampitube have come a long, long way. I use them most of the time for recording. I get very good results and it is much easier than set up an amp and playing with mic positions for half a day, until you capture the tone you are after. I currently use Amplitube, S Gear and TH3, depending on which sim fits the song style better.

The number one thing to recording is the operator. Garbage in is garbage out. Clean takes on any DAW are going to give you the best results and make mixing much, much easier. Recording has actually greatly improved my timing over the years. Listening back at your own playing can be a wake up call and force you to become a better player.

CFFF and bbarott like this.
  20. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Just my two cents but recording and listening to your stuff is arguably the single best thing you can do to become a better player once you have learned the basics. Timing, smoothness, weak notes, unsteadiness, etc etc all of that stuff is a whole lot more noticeable when you're listening with a critical ear instead of playing. In fact if you could hear it while you were playing you probably wouldn't be doing these things in the first place.

Hanson likes this.