Bugera V5 5 watt 1x8. Anyone have one of these?

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
Yes.

I had one and thought it was an upgrade from the Epi VJ phase I was into at the time. It sounds good stock but I still experimented with replacing the speaker with a Jensen CR8 and Tung Sol tube swap. The digital reverb is solid but after after turning knob past 5 it sounds a bit artificial. You can get these used for ~$150.00

Nevets

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 23, 2015
Vancouver BC
I had one for a while. It was a nice little amp. A bit dark for my taste. Girls seemed to love it. It was my living room amp and I got many comments on how nice it looked. Sold it when I bought an old Vibro Champ. Sometimes I miss having it around.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I have one, v5 infinium. I haven't plugged it in for a year or so.

I found it overly bright, but sounds great plugged in to a proper cabinet. I suspect the speaker in it is a full range, but in any case the speaker is its weak point.

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
I had one for a while. It was a nice little amp. A bit dark for my taste. Girls seemed to love it. It was my living room amp and I got many comments on how nice it looked. Sold it when I bought an old Vibro Champ. Sometimes I miss having it around.

Same here...

I sold mine recently to make room but kinda miss having it around already.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
Yep! I'm looking at 125$. I'm certainly leaning to grabing one.

Well worth it at that price. More Vox like than Fender like.

I had one and found these upgrades really helpful.

1) Better tubes. I used a Tung-sol EL84 and 12ax7 for a bit then dropped down to a JAN Phillips 5751 for a preamp tune to increase clean headroom.

2) Depending on it's age the original stock speaker could be improved upon. I installed an Eminence 820H Hemp cone and it made the amp sound much bigger and louder.

Number one I would highly recommend with number two optional if only due to the cost of the 820H but I found it well worth it and I was able to recover all of those costs when I sold the amp.

Also, if you have bigger 1x12 or 2x12 cab you can use in place of the internal speaker that will boost it's utility as well. Even through a single 1x12 like I ran it's bigger and louder.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
Yes I do, outstanding idea!

Then you should really enjoy the amp and at $125 it's a great deal. Just for reference mine was one of the very early pre-Infinium models. They went for $199 new back then and around $150 used.

I got $240 for my upgraded version when I sold it and for $125 I'd gladly buy another just to have a single ended Class A amp around to mess with. I learned a lot about different tubes from that amp. Any differences between one and another are very apparent.

johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
Out Where the Busses Don't Run
I HAD the T5 (head version) for a couple years. It had ok tones but was a very ‘weak kneed’ amp. The other bigger problem was the HV power supply was under-filtered which caused a nasty 120 hum. I would assume the V5 combo version has the same powers supply design.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
No, but I have a Bugera 1x12 closed back cabinet that sounds very good and is well constructed. I got it for less than $100. Good stuff.

bojanbeo

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 23, 2019
Europe
Sweet one! I have a V5 Infinium, it sounds warm, a bit dark & sweet, it’s mine main amp currently at home, works very well with pedals, also looks amazing, you will not regret if you get one of these! :thumb:

4BA42ECA-4C19-4530-B968-F9F4F40BA68C.jpeg

Fender Phil

Strat-Talker
Jul 22, 2015
Windsor Ontario Canada
Heavy as hell for what it is.
Dark sounding.
Can waste lots of time experimenting with tubes, speakers, etc.
Can be its own unique, useful amp, if that is your sound.
Has a definite group of followers.
A great player can make it sound like the best amp choice in the world.

I have way too many amps that do things well, that don’t get enough attention. I had to cut it loose.

The guy that came by to buy it, sounded absolutely awesome with it. It was a perfect fit for him.